Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-26-2016, 09:55 AM

Default Suggestions, southern Alberta fishing lakes

Buddy and I are taking the boat out tomorrow and hitting a lake. I've only fished a few (Chain, Pine Coulee, McGregor) since getting this beast and would like some suggestions as to other lakes/reservoirs to try. Requirements:
  1. We want to be able to keep a few fish. I'm OK with pike, but would really prefer a decent shot at something different.
  2. Would like to keep it within 2 hours of Okotoks, would prefer to go south. I suppose I could be persuaded to go in a different direction if not too far.
  3. Obviously a lake where a power boat is legal. I'm OK with speed restrictions.

Buddy mentioned Beauvais. I've never fished it. I see it's stocked with rainbows and browns and has a 12km boat speed restriction. Anyone fished it lately, and if so, how is it? Also open to other bodies of water. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:14 PM

Geeze, tough audience LOL. Hey, send me to a lake you AREN'T going to be fishing!
Old 08-26-2016, 01:48 PM

Never see many big trout coming out of Beauvais, maybe the odd brood stock brown. If you're considering that area, go to Beaver Mines instead, only a few more miles down the road, better quality fish IMO. Wooly buggers and prince nymphs are my go-to flies there.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacman View Post
Never see many big trout coming out of Beauvais, maybe the odd brood stock brown. If you're considering that area, go to Beaver Mines instead, only a few more miles down the road, better quality fish IMO. Wooly buggers and prince nymphs are my go-to flies there.
Thanks!
Old 08-26-2016, 08:37 PM

Default How about...

Milk River Ridge Resevoir or St. Marys...
Old 08-27-2016, 02:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacman View Post
Lots of hog browns in there! Just gotta think like a brown!
Old 08-27-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Geeze, tough audience LOL. Hey, send me to a lake you AREN'T going to be fishing!
I think everyone was momentarily shocked that you actually asked a question.

Generally you only dispense judgement.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Tough set of parameters to work with. Most southern reservoirs I can think of that you can retain are probably over two hours and you can't launch a boat in them.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:57 AM

Well, we got less ambitious and ended up at Chain lakes, putting along below the 12 km/h speed limit. Didn't catch anything worth keeping, but did catch a bunch of little to mid-sized rainbows. Enjoyable day.

Discovered something I had never tried before... trolling with sinking tip 6 wt fly line and streamer. A touch under 3km an hour and the trout were just hitting it! I have never trolled my fly line before but I'll always have it with me in the boat from now on. Worked great.