Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-30-2017, 10:45 AM

Default Ice fishing shack questions

So I'm here at work trying to get through the shift untill days off and I can get in the bush again and the idea came in to my head bout building an ice fishing shack. But I have some questions I am hopeing the guys who have them can answer.

Questions:

1. Did you build yours or can I use something like an old camper?
2. If you did build how big did you make it?
3. For guys who do live by the lake how do you move your shack to and from the lake?
4. Do you have a bathroom in it? If so how does it work? It do get cold so that stuff will freeze!
5. Guy who don't live on the lake, and have to travel to and from your shack have you ever had it stolen or broken in to wile you were away?
6. How do you heat your shack?

And I guess any other infor you have would be great!
Here is my idea get a fish shack put it on the lake maybe slave lake and leave it there all season and go down to it every week end (I live about 2-3 hours away)
Old 11-30-2017, 01:06 PM

Default Ice fishing shack questions

1. Built mine. 8'x7'x 6.5' ceiling height. Laminated two 2x8's for skids with puck board on the bottom. Floor is insulated 2x3 framing. Walls are 2x2 covered with OSB.

3. Haul mine back and forth on a sled trailer. At beginning and end of season.

4. No bathroom.

5. Knock on wood... no issues with shack security last year or so far this year.

6. Wood stove. Nice dry heat and I almost always leave the shack at the end of a fishing day with a dry floor.

Other stuff: I have a window so that if someone was curious they could look inside and see that there is nothing of value inside. I also prewired the inside for 12v (RV lights etc) so that I can add a solar panel and battery eventually. I also use a "word" padlock on the door instead of a keyed padlock so that I don't get out to the shack just to realize I forgot the key...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2017, 01:49 PM

I Built my own. 8 x 10 With 7' Ceiling. Used Vinyl Siding on the outside. I Picked up two Windows and the door from an old truck camper that was being parted out for cheap and used them in the shack. Insulated The Floor and walls. I as well used 2x2 for the walls and Covered in OSB. 2x4 for the floor. 2 - 6x6 for the skids and covered the bottom in Puckboard. I did a Flat Roof and Used Rolled roofing.
Ive got LED Lights on the roof and its wired for 12V for my Cameras and fish finder to Connect to. I used an Extension cord cut the female end off and let it stick out by the front door. Used the Male end to Plug into with Alligator Clips that connect to the truck battery for Power. That way I can unplug it and Put the Cord away so it isn't outside the shack when I'm gone.

I made a Wood Stove from an old Compressed Air Tank I had laying around. Was pretty easy. Only took a couple hours from start to finish. Wood heat is the only way to go IMO.

I lock the door with a simple door handle lock. Easy to break into if someone wanted in. That way it doesn't get destroyed if someone does break in.

I board my windows on the outside with plywood when I leave it. Ive seen far to many smashed windows on iceshacks. Thankfully Ive had no problems so far. I don't keep anything in it other then some extra wood.

Its Pretty heavy for an iceshack but its built durable and to last a long time.
I haul it with my Flatdeck Trailer. Use a winch to load and unload it.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:59 PM

Thanks for info guys! Gives me ideas for mine. Any one have "beds" or "bunks" and stay the night or two in them?
Old 11-30-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgoulding View Post
Thanks for info guys! Gives me ideas for mine. Any one have "beds" or "bunks" and stay the night or two in them?
Both Sides of my Shack are Benchs/Beds. I bought Some 8" Memory foam to use as beds. Spent many Nights in it.

As well I used Some PVC Conduit Straps Mounted them on the roof. They Make Perfect Rod Holders that keep the rods up and out of the way but directly over each hole.. Put a bell on there and you get to wake up to a fish on the line.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:22 PM

We built our shack. It is 8.5w x 16l x 7ish high. We have a bathroom that we mount outside to the side of the shack once there. We haul it out on a 20ft hydronic tilt deck trailer with winch. We have 4 bunch, stove with oven, sink, tons of storage 6 holes for fishing and propane heater (no getting up to toss wood in at night). We built ours onto a metal skid we made.

Here is the link to our build thread. There are tons of pictures in it.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=305047

This shack is super warm. We have been out in it when it was -40 plus wind and never got chilled at all.

... can’t wait to get it out again and get to using it!!

Shekka
Old 11-30-2017, 04:42 PM

I'm in the process of building a shack now. It's mostly built of 3/8" plywood with just enough 2x2 lumber to hold it together, glued and screwed construction, insulated with R6 rigid insulation. I still need to install the wood stove, wire in the lights, and cut some holes. It will have a fold down table at one end that also drops down into a bed, and the benches are wide enough for a nap. It's 7'-4" wide by 8'-0" long, weighs somewhere close to 500lbs and it slides easily on the shop floor. I'll haul it out on a utility trailer or the back of my truck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0362.jpg (56.4 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2336.jpg (23.5 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2332.jpg (66.5 KB, 90 views)
Old 11-30-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
So I'm here at work trying to get through the shift untill days off and I can get in the bush again and the idea came in to my head bout building an ice fishing shack. But I have some questions I am hopeing the guys who have them can answer.

Questions:

3. For guys who do live by the lake how do you move your shack to and from the lake?
4. Do you have a bathroom in it? If so how does it work? It do get cold so that stuff will freeze!
5. Guy who don't live on the lake, and have to travel to and from your shack have you ever had it stolen or broken in to wile you were away?

Here is my idea get a fish shack put it on the lake maybe slave lake and leave it there all season and go down to it every week end (I live about 2-3 hours away)
1-built my own, built frame out of 4" channel so I don't have to worry about pulling it apart when towing or freezing in and for shack stability
2-10'Wx16'Lx12'H second one was 6'Wx10'Lx7'H
3- have a trailer with a winch and custom ramps to winch on and off
4-no bathroom in it because I don't wanna smell sh*t while in it but made a 4'Wx4'Lx7'H outhouse with buddy heater that sits separate but beside big shack and is easy to man handle into the back of a truck
5-pull mine on the lake at the beginning of the year and off at the end of the year, where I have mine we all keep a look out for each other but I made a custom steel bar locking system that they would need a cutting torch to cut off or a chainsaw to cut the door out
6-wood stove for heat
I have mine at slave also and I live 4-4.5 hrs away, there are a few fellas that keeps the shacks on there land for extremely cheap in the summer and are only a couple kms from the lake.if you want to make one take your time and preplan as to how you want to set it up! that's part of the fun! if you want to search my name and the threads I have started and you can see how I built mine, the big shack took me 5.5 months by myself on days off and I thought I preplanned pretty good but after using it last winter I wish I would have changed and added a few different things. the smaller day shack I built this year took me 2.5-3 months to build on days off. if you have any questions let me know and I can try and help you out.
Regardless of the overwhelming odds or obstacles in your path,
you always have an opportunity to overcome.
It is your attitude that will determine the outcome.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:13 PM

here is the 2 links to my builds

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=292347
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=330571
Regardless of the overwhelming odds or obstacles in your path,
you always have an opportunity to overcome.
It is your attitude that will determine the outcome.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:24 AM
Banned

Quote:

Questions:

Hey we built a 10/12 shack heated by a wood burner stove,we haul it to the lake with our flatbed trailer, it's a matter of 15 min it's up, I don't leave much valuables in my shack but do lock it never had it broke in yet...it's got 5 holes in it not a fan of the coffee table holes, bathroom well you tell your guests to leave when Mother Nature calls, but it works great, lots do use a holiday trailer but some are pretty high to pull fish up from th hole
Old 12-01-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschache View Post
1-built my own, built frame out of 4" channel so I don't have to worry about pulling it apart when towing or freezing in and for shack stability
2-10'Wx16'Lx12'H second one was 6'Wx10'Lx7'H
3- have a trailer with a winch and custom ramps to winch on and off
4-no bathroom in it because I don't wanna smell sh*t while in it but made a 4'Wx4'Lx7'H outhouse with buddy heater that sits separate but beside big shack and is easy to man handle into the back of a truck
5-pull mine on the lake at the beginning of the year and off at the end of the year, where I have mine we all keep a look out for each other but I made a custom steel bar locking system that they would need a cutting torch to cut off or a chainsaw to cut the door out
6-wood stove for heat
I have mine at slave also and I live 4-4.5 hrs away, there are a few fellas that keeps the shacks on there land for extremely cheap in the summer and are only a couple kms from the lake.if you want to make one take your time and preplan as to how you want to set it up! that's part of the fun! if you want to search my name and the threads I have started and you can see how I built mine, the big shack took me 5.5 months by myself on days off and I thought I preplanned pretty good but after using it last winter I wish I would have changed and added a few different things. the smaller day shack I built this year took me 2.5-3 months to build on days off. if you have any questions let me know and I can try and help you out.

Thanks for the info. I am in no rush to build it I want to build what I want and build it right the first time!
Old 12-01-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter guy View Post
Hey we built a 10/12 shack heated by a wood burner stove,we haul it to the lake with our flatbed trailer, it's a matter of 15 min it's up, I don't leave much valuables in my shack but do lock it never had it broke in yet...it's got 5 holes in it not a fan of the coffee table holes, bathroom well you tell your guests to leave when Mother Nature calls, but it works great, lots do use a holiday trailer but some are pretty high to pull fish up from th hole
I like how easy it would be to pull and camper home at the end of the season but like you said some are high and i see how that would be a problem. Thanks for the info!