Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-17-2018, 07:49 PM

Default New Mexico Fishing

Wondering if anyone has ever been fishing in the area of Alamogordo NM, I’ll be heading down there next week, looking for any suggestions on places to go within an hours drive. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:46 AM

Default New Mexico

I learned how to fly fish in NM in the early 90's when I lived there. Did pretty much all of my fishing up in the Four Corners area.

For things to see & do in & around Alamogordo, start with the White Sands National Park, it's pretty cool place. You drive right by Holliman AFB, home of the F-117 Nighthawk, you very well may see them flying around. You can take a drive east up to Cloudcroft. Nice scenic drive through the Lincoln National Forest, take in the Mexican Canyon Trestle, still standing since 1899. Cloudcroft has got a few pubs there along with a fairly decent BBQ joint.

The National Solar Observatory at Sacramento Peak is about 16 miles south of Cloudcroft, open to the public but always good to call ahead (575-434-7000) during the winter months.

Anywhere in New Mexico you can't go wrong with ordering a "green chile burger with a side of green chile fries". It's a NM culinary staple as the town of Hatch which grows a variety of peppers & is known as the "Chile Capital of the World". Pretty much every restaurant in NM serves their own version of one. They're fantastic....with or without beer.

Roswell, Carlsbad, Valley of Fires are easy day trips.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:29 PM

Id call their fish and game department The states fish and wildlife departments are very good to deal with and actually bend over backwards to help you.