Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-24-2008, 06:10 PM

Default Alloy Hooks

In a previous post there was some talk about Fish being able to reject hooks from thier mouth over a significate time period.
So I am curious how long does it take for a fish to get out a standard hook?What causes the hook to break down, the environment or is the acidity of the fishes mouth? Does the body/ face of the fish force the hook out like a bad piercing, or does the point where the hook is at get so infected that the tissue gets soft and ***** and the hook falls out, then the fish is able to heal.
If a fishes mouth is acidic, what is the pH, does it vary in speices?
What is this info based on, was there a study?
What about stainless hooks, titanium hooks, or hooks of different alloys other then steel do they react the same? If not why are they not illegal to use?
If you have answer or ideas how this works let me know.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
In a previous post there was some talk about Fish being able to reject hooks from thier mouth over a significate time period.
So I am curious how long does it take for a fish to get out a standard hook?What causes the hook to break down, the environment or is the acidity of the fishes mouth? Does the body/ face of the fish force the hook out like a bad piercing, or does the point where the hook is at get so infected that the tissue gets soft and ***** and the hook falls out, then the fish is able to heal.
If a fishes mouth is acidic, what is the pH, does it vary in speices?
What is this info based on, was there a study?
What about stainless hooks, titanium hooks, or hooks of different alloys other then steel do they react the same? If not why are they not illegal to use?
If you have answer or ideas how this works let me know.
this will be an interesting thread , i've been curious about this for a LONG time . could get bioligists , rednecks and just plain old joes with their opinon . i will be following this one .
Old 07-24-2008, 10:08 PM

Ok heres the redneck opinion .

I think If I had a hook stuck in my face too id find a way sooner then later to get it out . I think with movement and with them taking water in and such it just eventually loosens as theres no pressure on it and plunk its out . Or It just rusts out simple as that . I dont know not a professional like I said redneck opinion.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Ok heres the redneck opinion .

I think If I had a hook stuck in my face too id find a way sooner then later to get it out . I think with movement and with them taking water in and such it just eventually loosens as theres no pressure on it and plunk its out . Or It just rusts out simple as that . I dont know not a professional like I said redneck opinion.
BBJ
There is pressure on the hook, water pressure, and it pushes in from all side, and it may be pushing the softer flesh/ tissue around the non compressable hook, again potentally tightening on the hook.
So do you think that they rub their face on all bottom and eventual work the hook out?
Old 07-25-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
BBJ
There is pressure on the hook, water pressure, and it pushes in from all side, and it may be pushing the softer flesh/ tissue around the non compressable hook, again potentally tightening on the hook.
So do you think that they rub their face on all bottom and eventual work the hook out?
yep or agianst other fish and such but I think they know how to get rid of it.we could always tie your arms behind your back and slap a hook in your lip, I think youll find the quickest and fastest way to get that hook out.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:02 PM

I know human bodies reject foreign objects and will grow them out. This is well documented for humans and I would imagine it would be the same for fish. This takes a long time for humans... I know one person who grew out an eye brow ring and it took several years.

Ive never measured my hooks girth before, but there is certainly not a lot of metal there, I imagine it could rust through quite quickly. I have caught a number of lures before and the hooks were gone.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:24 PM

I Googled the net for some more info and found an arguement that was pro stainless hooks as this would not poison the fish as it rusted off and the fish would not breath/ ingest rust particles as it worked it wait out, resulting in a healthier fish that was mush more capable of surviving with a hook in its mouth.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:25 PM

Here's another question. What if the fish takes the lure DEEP, I'm talking like sphincter and beyond. Say a guy just cuts the line and lets the fish go because lure retrieval would certainly be the end of the fish. Can the fish digest the hook? If so are we talking totally disintegrated or is it coming out the other end?

With mouth hooked fish I'm sure they are able to get them out without too much trouble as long as they aren't barbed hooks. It seems to me that every time someone I’m fishing with leaves some slack in their line the fish manages to spit the hook. One would think that a fish wouldn't have any issues spitting just a hook, considering the fact that they spit hooks due to angler error regularly (i.e. slack in line).
Old 07-28-2008, 02:18 PM

So is it safe to assume that no one really knows about hooks being left in and fish mortality, or is it the fact that you don't see it, so ignorance is bliss. With all the great minds on here I am disappointed with discussion on this thread. For those that posted thank you for your input. I think that a study is going to be needed to prove some of this out.
Was a study done and the findings where not favourable to the current regs and it was keep quiet, to ensure some form of guide line is followed and it is not a free for all, for keeping fish.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:23 AM

It's really hard to say why this thread hasn't gotten much action/debate. I think the title maynot quite sum up what were disscussing here.

I'd like to see this thread get more action because i'm highly interested in knowing what I should be doing for the fishes sake the next time one takes it deep.

I don't know any facts from concrete sources. But from my understanding its always best to cut the line rather than hurt the fish or have it out of the water for too long. With barbless hooks I've always found it easy to remove a hook from a fish hooked in the mouth, so I do. But when it goes back real deep say the sphincter or gills, In my experience hook removal usually is very difficult. I'm sure fish often die from people unwilling to just let that hook go. This is why I cut my line when its darn near in their stomach, I don't know for sure that they can digest/pass them things but i've been told they can. I'd like to know for sure so hopefully this thread gets some more action.

Anyone?