Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-18-2013, 05:28 PM

When dispatching a moose or elk with a knife should a person jump on its back or go at it from the side. Maybe could get the legs in some kind of hold like hogan would use then at least u wont get kicked but then you would have to have a friend do the deed. I just don't no how to go about this.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrit View Post
When dispatching a moose or elk with a knife should a person jump on its back or go at it from the side. Maybe could get the legs in some kind of hold like hogan would use then at least u wont get kicked but then you would have to have a friend do the deed. I just don't no how to go about this.

9mm with a silencer works great for those up close after dark moments....
Old 11-18-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohlic View Post
Lots of hunters around - any one of them could have fired that shot in the dark. CO would have to catch you in the act to prove anything.
x2
Old 11-18-2013, 06:41 PM

I see that this thread has been derailed quite far...

I would like to point out a major flaw with people's ideas of it being illegal to dispatch an animal after legal light.

I would definitely use an open sight rifle like my 303 or 44 mag to dispatch that wounded animal.

Here is my reasoning. Please feel free to comment on it.

1) I am no longer hunting. I am now attempting to retrieve a mortally wounded animal and dispatch it. As long as it lives it is in pain, it is my duty to find it and end its suffering.

2) I am not allowing the meat of a game animal to spoil.
abandon, destroy or allow the edible meat of any game bird or big game animal (except cougar or bear), to become unfit for human consumption.
If animals are chewing on my animal over night I am not going to be eating those parts that have been damaged.

Now here is the flaw you have all forgotten.

If you leave your animal and try to find it the next day, you have failed to immediately tag your animal and are in contravention of the wildlife act.

Tell any CO that in order to not fail to tag your animal immediately and to be humane to the animal, you had to dispatch it.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikezilk View Post

I would like to point out a major flaw with people's ideas of it being illegal to dispatch an animal after legal light.

I would definitely use an open sight rifle like my 303 or 44 mag to dispatch that wounded animal.

1) I am no longer hunting. I am now attempting to retrieve a mortally wounded animal and dispatch it. As long as it lives it is in pain, it is my duty to find it and end its suffering.

abandon, destroy or allow the edible meat of any game bird or big game animal (except cougar or bear), to become unfit for human consumption.
If animals are chewing on my animal over night I am not going to be eating those parts that have been damaged.

If you leave your animal and try to find it the next day, you have failed to immediately tag your animal and are in contravention of the wildlife act.

Tell any CO that in order to not fail to tag your animal immediately and to be humane to the animal, you had to dispatch it.
it matters not what reason you give or rationale for your actions, moral, religious, ethics or whatever...it will be still be veiwed the same when it comes to the legal action,...remember its a legal system not a justice system.and with everyones cell phones being at the ready....

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 11-18-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrit View Post
Old 11-18-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Check the definition of hunting, as long as you are pursuing that animal, with the intent of killing it, you are hunting.

Quote:
That does not give you the legal right to violate the regulations. Try using that as an excuse for trespassing without permission on private land, or better yet, a military base, or a national park.

Quote:

Not if the legal hunting hours are over for the day. The same applies if the animal makes it to private property to which you don't have permission, or to a military base, or a national park. Pursuing a wounded animal, does not give you a legal justification to violate other laws.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
We called F&W and they asked location and names and said go ahead and put down animal. Easy 2 min call and no worries. Thanked us for the call and said it probably saved them a trip out to investigate.
Think this is your best bet if there is cell single otherwise an axe I think
Old 11-18-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:

Not only is it illegal to hunt after legal light, it is also illegal to discharge a firearm after legal light. That would be the hole in your argument. Catch 22 I suppose.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
We called F&W and they asked location and names and said go ahead and put down animal. Easy 2 min call and no worries. Thanked us for the call and said it probably saved them a trip out to investigate.
this I agree on but as with anything else in life i've heard stories of this abused.

this is from another province but they would see a deer out of season in a field and would call FW and say there was a hit by a truck and still living can I shoot it. FW says ok and they take it out, when FW get calls they say they already know. greasy.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Not if the legal hunting hours are over for the day. The same applies if the animal makes it to private property to which you don't have permission, or to a military base, or a national park. Pursuing a wounded animal, does not give you a legal justification to violate other laws.
I would check with authorities. If you fail to immediately tag your animal you are breaking the law.

And I can discharge my firearm till it melts down after legal light all I want.There is absolutely nothing saying I can't. I can't hunt game after dark but I can discharge my firearms.
As we can ll see there are so many school of thoughts on this. And as for have a phone to call F&W, that is all great and fine, expect most of the areas I hunt have ZERO cell service. I hunt in the bush, unfortunately I don't know any farmers to get access to those nice grain fed deer. lol.

Ultimately, it comes down to a personal choice that we must all make.

Me, I would dispatch the animal. But I would also more than likely have it on film as I was walking up so I would have proof that the animal was suffering.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
I would check with authorities. If you fail to immediately tag your animal you are breaking the law.

And I can discharge my firearm till it melts down after legal light all I want.There is absolutely nothing saying I can't. I can't hunt game after dark but I can discharge my firearms.
As we can ll see there are so many school of thoughts on this. And as for have a phone to call F&W, that is all great and fine, expect most of the areas I hunt have ZERO cell service. I hunt in the bush, unfortunately I don't know any farmers to get access to those nice grain fed deer. lol.

Ultimately, it comes down to a personal choice that we must all make.

Me, I would dispatch the animal. But I would also more than likely have it on film as I was walking up so I would have proof that the animal was suffering.
Perhaps you should read the legislation. Wildlife Act

Discharge of firearm at night

53 Except at a lawfully established and operated shooting range, a person shall not discharge a firearm during the period referred to in section 28.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
If the animal is not dead you have nothing to tag.
Do what you want, but you really should understand the law as it is written and not just make up what you want.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post

53 Except at a lawfully established and operated shooting range, a person shall not discharge a firearm during the period referred to in section 28.
Now don't go ruining his rant by pointing out the actual legislation in the Wildlife Act. Unfortunately many people only skim over the hunting guide, and never bother to read the actual legislation.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:01 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Ultimate weapon

If you have to put down a wounded animal outside of hunting hours, whip out your laptop, call up this thread, and start reading out the posts. The animal will either be stunned as you read all night until legal light, or will soon die of boredom!
Old 11-19-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post

Again... you did not read what I wrote... I merely said I will discharge my firearm all I want after "Legal Hunting Light" I was making a subjective point that you can claim you were lost and fired shots to let others of your location to get guidance to get out safe. Or,I was shooting to scare away predators that were closing in on me. Take your pic.

Sorry guys, even F&W officers all have different opinions on interpretations of the law.

Best bet is to contact a F&W officer for the area you hunt and get them to tell you answers... then the next area that is covered by another F&W officer, better call them too because the law is vague about a great many things and left to the officer to interpret as they deem.

I have seen situations where a F&W officer gives an ok for one thing and a hunter gets ticketed in another district because the F&W officer believes the law states something else.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
If the animal is not dead you have nothing to tag.
Do what you want, but you really should understand the law as it is written and not just make up what you want.
Sorry, I should have clarified that leaving an animal to expire over night and tracking it down in the morning, could potentially allow for a F&W officer to issue a Failure to Tag immediately if they wanted to.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I should have clarified that leaving an animal to expire over night and tracking it down in the morning, could potentially allow for a F&W officer to issue a Failure to Tag immediately if they wanted to.
No....only if you found the animal first....think about it, till you found it dead it isn't you your animal to tag.

That violation is usually issued if you transport an animal from point of death without a tag on it....including dragging an animal for removal.

LC
Old 11-19-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
No it can't. You are required to make every possible effort to recover wounded game, but that does not allow you to hunt at night. If you do not have a carcass at the close of legal hunting time you have nothing to tag. Period. It really can't be any simpler.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
No....only if you found the animal first....think about it, till you found it dead it isn't your animal to tag.

LC
I would hope so.. but again, it would depend on the officer. I have met a few that would give that ticket happily for this.

I have also had a F&W officer help me out when my truck slid into some deep ruts and I was stuck with no hope of driving out.

Thankfully I have never had to track a deer more than 25 yards in the bush and never had to use a follow up shot
Old 11-19-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
No it can't. You are required to make every possible effort to recover wounded game, but that does not allow you to hunt at night. If you do not have a carcass at the close of legal hunting time you have nothing to tag. Period. It really can't be any simpler.
I am saying the animal expires and doesn't require a follow up shot. I am not going to get into a huge conversation about it. just stating that the law is enforced by F&W officers and what they believe to be the truth is what they will make their judgement on.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:23 PM

This thread sure fell off the rails. Oiye!

BH

Old 11-19-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
. I merely said I will discharge my firearm all I want after "Legal Hunting Light" I was making a subjective point that you can claim you were lost and fired shots to let others of your location to get guidance to get out safe. Or,I was shooting to scare away predators that were closing in on me. Take your pic.
Now that you have made it obvious, that you feel that it's okay for you to ignore any regulation that you don't like, and then attempt to justify your actions with lies , if your actions are challenged, it makes your point of view much easier to understand.

Are there any regulations that you feel that you should be held accountable to obey, or do consider them all fair game , for you to ignore?
Old 11-19-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
I am saying the animal expires and doesn't require a follow up shot. I am not going to get into a huge conversation about it. just stating that the law is enforced by F&W officers and what they believe to be the truth is what they will make their judgement on.
It makes absolutely no difference what happens with the animal - if you don't have a carcass at the end of legal you don't have anything to tag. Pretty simple concept.
But carry on making inane stuff up to make arguments. There is no grey here. The law is pretty plain.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Again... you did not read what I wrote... I merely said I will discharge my firearm all I want after "Legal Hunting Light" I was making a subjective point that you can claim you were lost and fired shots to let others of your location to get guidance to get out safe. Or,I was shooting to scare away predators that were closing in on me. Take your pic.
You can make all the claims you want, it still doesn't make it legal to discharge your firearm at night. The law does not read "Except in the case of......."

But carry on. You are free to do as you want, but you really should accept that your decisions are against the law and you are freely choosing to disobey the law instead of trying to make out that the law itself is "grey" when it is not.