Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-03-2007, 10:43 PM

Default Pigeon Lake recommendations/info?

Hey all, I'm sure there's a ton here who've been to Pigeon. Me and the gf are headed there friday. Recommendations for campgrounds (we have a tent)would be much appreciated, along with maybe a little info like "do they charge for wood, can you bring your own, are there any sites on the lake to pull a boat up to, is there a free, decent boat launch?" There are lots of campgrounds to choose from it seems,a nd I've never been, so I'd just like to hear a few opinions. Thanks,

Rifle
Old 07-03-2007, 11:15 PM

Go to the Provincial campground the south west corner of Pigeon Lake. I think last year you had to buy your firewood but if you have some bring it and save yourself $20-$30. Excelent boat launch and all the walleye you want 5 minutes away. Some sites in section D are close to the water but I wouldn't leave any boat on the shore for a great lenght of time as you won't be able to see it from your camping site.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:22 AM

http://www.pigeonlake.com/business/camping.htm
Provincial or Zeiner are right on the water, but both will be crowded on any weekend and almost as bad during the week in the summer.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:52 PM
sheephunter

The Walleye Flasher and a frozen minnow has always done really well for me there. Al just sent me a care package of his new jigs....can't wait to get to Pigeon to try them out and to fill some tags. The new jigs are pretty cool looking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reelbait.jpg (119.6 KB, 36 views)
Old 07-04-2007, 02:14 PM

Ya Sheep none of thoose silly things will work. I think you would have better luck if you used something just like this.

You probally should mail thoose silly looking things to a AO member who could properly dispose of them without anyone getting a hook in the finger.
I hear that Rockymtnx, Bearballz, NDN, and many others that fish Pigeon Lake are properly trained to take them off your hands.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 07-04-2007, 02:17 PM
-NDN-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
The Walleye Flasher and a frozen minnow has always done really well for me there. Al just sent me a care package of his new jigs....can't wait to get to Pigeon to try them out and to fill some tags. The new jigs are pretty cool looking.

oh wow SH, diggin the new colors, i can see a couple that will be a hit. they available now? or did you just get a early treat
Old 07-04-2007, 02:17 PM

Who's Al?
Old 07-04-2007, 02:19 PM

Have you got a number Sheep to Contact for ordering?
Old 07-04-2007, 02:21 PM
-NDN-

SH, i just took a second look at the pic of the new colors............. couldnt help but notice the long shank hooks, do they have them in both short and long? i prefer short for leeches and minnows, and the long shank for soft plastics.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:25 PM
sheephunter

All the info you need can be found here http://www.reelbait.com/

and I know Wholesale carries Reelbait tackle in Alberta.

I'll take your advice under consideration Rocky....lol I'm off to North Leland Lake next week, how about I get back to you after I do a test run with them there......lol
Old 07-04-2007, 02:52 PM

That sounds like a helluva an idea Rocky, you and I could properly get rid of them so no one gets hurt. I know a place that takes them out by the lake
Old 07-04-2007, 03:35 PM

Cam-Hunter - I tried and tried through Wholesale last year. I could never get the colors and sizes that I wanted. I ended up getting them right from Al @ Reel Bait. I got my order fast. Shipping, duty, taxes and all that mumbo jumbo wasnt that much. Well worth the money. I even picked up one of the Lytle's Secret Lures. I have managed to catch a couple on it this year.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 07-04-2007, 04:01 PM
sheephunter

I caught a fair number of walleye on Pigeon with one last year and some lakers this winter at Spray Lake. I hope to try it a bit more at Leland next week. There's a new small version that looks like it will be dealy on perch too.

The Fergie spoon is dynamite at Pigeon too.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
I'm off to North Leland Lake next week
Let us know how you make out. I heard that last year Dan & the boys lost a couple cabins in a fire. Or was that at South Leland?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 07-04-2007, 04:22 PM

Thanks Rockymtnx I think I will be placing an order right away.

By the way call me stupid or just computer illeterate how the heck do you do the Quote thing:
Old 07-04-2007, 04:30 PM
sheephunter

Never heard that Rocky but he did promise us some cabins so I'm assuming they have a roof....lol

I'll definitely report back. Some buddies went a month ago and had an awesome time. The lakers will be a bit tougher now but I picked up a new sonar for the trip so hopefully that will help. I sprung for a new GPS as well so I'm going well armed.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:36 PM

1. Find the message you want to reply to
2. In the bottom right hand corner of the message there is a box you can click on "Quote" When you click on this it will make a reply for you with the quote inserted in it.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 07-05-2007, 05:24 AM
-NDN-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam-hunter View Post
Thanks Rockymtnx I think I will be placing an order right away.

By the way call me stupid or just computer illeterate how the heck do you do the Quote thing:
Quote:
Never heard that Rocky but he did promise us some cabins so I'm assuming they have a roof....lol

I'll definitely report back. Some buddies went a month ago and had an awesome time. The lakers will be a bit tougher now but I picked up a new sonar for the trip so hopefully that will help. I sprung for a new GPS as well so I'm going well armed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
1. Find the message you want to reply to
2. In the bottom right hand corner of the message there is a box you can click on "Quote" When you click on this it will make a reply for you with the quote inserted in it.

easy as one two three