Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-17-2013, 12:21 PM

Question Allen bill pond or Chain Lakes?

Hi,

I have been reading the forums since last summer but decided to join this year because I am hoping to be a little more serious about fishing this summer.

So I am a beginner. Got myself a basic fishing set from Walmart and I am all set to go fishing this weekend. Last summer, I went out to Allen Bill Pond but I was looking up the stocking reports and saw that they have stocked the Chain lakes with 25000 fish or so. It is also around the same distance as Allen Bill Pond.

Question is, for a beginner, would the Chain lakes be good? Will I be able to catch a few in 3 or 4 hours? Or should I head to Allen Bill (We caught 3 trouts last year!!!)?
It is much smaller but I am not sure if it is stocked yet .

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashirsyed View Post
Hi,

I have been reading the forums since last summer but decided to join this year because I am hoping to be a little more serious about fishing this summer.

So I am a beginner. Got myself a basic fishing set from Walmart and I am all set to go fishing this weekend. Last summer, I went out to Allen Bill Pond but I was looking up the stocking reports and saw that they have stocked the Chain lakes with 25000 fish or so. It is also around the same distance as Allen Bill Pond.

Question is, for a beginner, would the Chain lakes be good? Will I be able to catch a few in 3 or 4 hours? Or should I head to Allen Bill (We caught 3 trouts last year!!!)?
It is much smaller but I am not sure if it is stocked yet .

Thanks!
A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.......
Old 05-17-2013, 12:49 PM

I have also heard Dewitts is good for beginners. Is that true?
A bad day fishing as a beginner kinda sucks haha.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:52 PM

Chain is decent. Not a lot of big fish but lots in the 10" range. Willow creek runs out of chain and just bellow the dam is great. Loaded with fish. I usually fly fish it and pull one almost every cast. Small silver and gold meps or panther marten spinners work well. Anyways welcome to the forum and welcome to fishing. Enjoy and good luck.
P.s. willow may not be open yet. I think June 16 but check the regs
Old 05-17-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post
Chain is decent. Not a lot of big fish but lots in the 10" range. Willow creek runs out of chain and just bellow the dam is great. Loaded with fish. I usually fly fish it and pull one almost every cast. Small silver and gold meps or panther marten spinners work well. Anyways welcome to the forum and welcome to fishing. Enjoy and good luck.
Thanks! I don't know the difference between fly fishing and normal fishing but as long as there is a chance of me catching a few fish, I will go there. I just don't wanna drive all the way there. Sit for a few hours and get no bite. I will also try and check out Dewitts today. .
Would I have more success at Allen bill though? It is a lot smaller than the chain lakes.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:07 PM

Follow this link to the current stocking report. I beleive they just stocked a ton of trout in chain:

http://mywildalberta.com/Fishing/doc...May10-2013.pdf
Old 05-17-2013, 01:09 PM

Default Allen Bill Pond

just phoned Elbow Valley Information centre (near bragg creek) and they said no fish have been stocked in allen bill pond yet, so not really worth going there

NC
Old 05-17-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCFlyfishin View Post
just phoned Elbow Valley Information centre (near bragg creek) and they said no fish have been stocked in allen bill pond yet, so not really worth going there

NC
Thanks!! looks like chain lakes it is lol. No I am hoping the weathers not too bad in the morning!
Old 05-17-2013, 01:25 PM

Anyone hooked a bull in chain... I've tried 4 times now to no avail
Old 05-17-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post
The outflow does indeed have a lot of fish, but fishing for them there is illegal. Most of the hole there is within 25 meters of the bottom of the spillway and hence off limits. Go a little farther (like a few more yards) down the stream if you are fly fishing. Up top of the structure is OK for spincasting, etc. For a first outing I'd suggest the very north end of the lake on the rock damn. My sons and I were out there last saturday. Each caught 2 or 3. Nothing big or worth taking, but nice.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:19 AM

If you are solely looking to catch fish and not to keep any, go to pine coulee reservoir. It's pretty close to stavely or about an hour and a half from calgary, just down from chain lakes actually. But anyway fishing there is like one every two casts its crazy. You can fish from the docks by the campground, or by the bridge. On weekends it can get pretty busy at the docks though. However you cant keep any walleye, but its alot of fun for a beginner.
Best of luck!
Old 05-18-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchandeat View Post
If you are solely looking to catch fish and not to keep any, go to pine coulee reservoir. It's pretty close to stavely or about an hour and a half from calgary, just down from chain lakes actually. But anyway fishing there is like one every two casts its crazy. You can fish from the docks by the campground, or by the bridge. On weekends it can get pretty busy at the docks though. However you cant keep any walleye, but its alot of fun for a beginner.
Best of luck!
If you DO want to keep any there is the occasional pike in there... I find it's about 1 in 12 if using a swimbait

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 05-18-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
If you DO want to keep any there is the occasional pike in there... I find it's about 1 in 12 if using a swimbait
Yup theres definetely the odd pike in pcr for sure, shoulda mentioned that to the OP. make sure to check your regs before you head out!
Old 05-18-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
The outflow does indeed have a lot of fish, but fishing for them there is illegal. Most of the hole there is within 25 meters of the bottom of the spillway and hence off limits. Go a little farther (like a few more yards) down the stream if you are fly fishing. Up top of the structure is OK for spincasting, etc. For a first outing I'd suggest the very north end of the lake on the rock damn. My sons and I were out there last saturday. Each caught 2 or 3. Nothing big or worth taking, but nice.

I'd have to say I disagree with this statement .... I realise what the rule states but also realise the 25 meter rule is in place to keep people off and away from dangerous structures but as far as standing around the pool in question casting into it ... Far from illegal... Always people fishing the pool and with the F&W office just up the hill those guys can litteraly watch u down there almost without binos.... Been checked numerous times down there for fish, barbs, and license but never has anyone given even an inkling of not being legal to fish there.... That being said if u want to b 100% sure stop at that office on your way down and ask... Also like stated before "read your regs!" seen a few guys take 5 fish from said pool .... Chain lakes limit is 5 fish any size and the pool is only 2 with size limit if I remember correctly...
Cheers all the best
Old 05-19-2013, 01:26 PM

Wow!! Caught 2 at chain lakes in an hour!! That was so much fun haha..

I have a question, I lost 3 spinners in there. It seems that the weight gets trapped in the rocks so I had to cut the line.

How do I overcome this? I tried putting the weight above the spinner but that didn't seem too effective either. Suggestions?
Old 05-19-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashirsyed View Post
Wow!! Caught 2 at chain lakes in an hour!! That was so much fun haha..

I have a question, I lost 3 spinners in there. It seems that the weight gets trapped in the rocks so I had to cut the line.

How do I overcome this? I tried putting the weight above the spinner but that didn't seem too effective either. Suggestions?
Use a ultra light spinning rod, 3lb monofilament. Don't be shy about rerigging your tackle every few fish. Anyways ultralight gear will allow you cast small/light tackle farther and you won't need the use of weights.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:47 PM

I think u are mixing up 2 of the methods I suggested to try haha but u caught 2 so can't be horrible haha... If u can post a picture of your rigging and we can help u better ... Might just b easier to meet u at Dewitt some night and go over it in person... Gotta learn a few of the basics ( knots and how to effectively rig different methods) once u got that it'll b a lot easier to explain the process...

But to awnser your question spinners are not "traditionally " fished with weight on bottom... A spinner will typically b the last thing on the line and if u need more weight u can add a split shot (small round lead that clamps directly to the line) about10-20 inches up of the spinner ... Now from what y explained to me u had rigged if your weight on the bottom is snagging in the rocks try connecting the weight with a lighter pound line or using rubber bands to connect the weight... This way all u loose is the snagged weight... I'll try to put a few pics of the basic setup for ya later

Congrats on the fish!!! Stick with it , it gets easier

Last edited by Fishnafterwork; 05-19-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:31 PM

lots of people use cheese off the bottom at chain, just reteive really quick and this method usually dosen't get a snag, i seen a guy use a 2 ounce weight and hook it onto the line and let it go, runs down the line and usually dislodges the snagged hooked, we caught hundreds of trout in willow creek usuing flies and small spoons over the course of a weekend, give it a try.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:51 PM

Allen Bill was stocked last Wednesday. I caught 29 in two days and my girlfriend caught her first fish +4 more. one was even 13" but they averaged about 8.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:54 PM

I should mention it was on a fly rod, but guys were catching them on bait and spinners as well.... just not as often.
Love outfishing the bait fishers!

Old 05-24-2013, 12:39 PM

I went there! I caught nothing! I could see a whole bunch of fish swimming around my bait! but nothing at all. I wonder why they wouldn't bite.

Anyone know how the hook sizes work? What hook size should I be using at Dewitt's and Allen Bill etc?
Old 05-24-2013, 04:50 PM

Unless you want the bucket brigade standing on top of you and casting in your face then stay away from there(allen bill). The people just follow the school of fish and dont follow any fishing etiquette there.
I was there the other day on my way to one of my fav places (no not on the elbow drainage) and i stood along the shore as i started catching one after another about 4 people came and stood within a foot of me. As Im a good sport I didnt say anything or mind too much as I know these people arent really regular fishermen and care little about the sport....but rather filling their limit.
Then some older gentleman (prob 50 or 60) kept yanking his bait and bobber out of the water and actually hit me in the nuts with his beell weight. Luckily it didnt get me very good or I would have been really upset.

All that said, Allen Bill is a great place to practice right after its stocked but the fish are kind of stupid at that point and not even really a challenge. It would be good for some action though. I find the lake pretty much gets fished out within about 2 weeks of being stocked. You will see plenty of illegal action at this pond.

I recommend it for kids though. You can follow the school of fish as they swim around but you will probably need the patience of a saint.

Chain on the other hand has amazing action most days but slow sometimes. I dont think ive ever been skunked there. They stock soo many in there I dont know if its even humanly possible to fish that place out. The cons imo are the wind and sheer size of the lake.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:53 PM

If you want a bigger challenge and bigger fish then head to a place like beaver, fiesta, or bullshead.