Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-29-2013, 12:26 AM

I don't care what the regs say, I'm not letting that animal suffer longer than it needs to. Fine me, throw me in jail, I don't care, I know that I would have done the right thing.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
We called F&W and they asked location and names and said go ahead and put down animal. Easy 2 min call and no worries. Thanked us for the call and said it probably saved them a trip out to investigate.
Hmm. Not a bad way to legally take down an animal after dark...the CO told me to do it. Lol.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:00 AM

A neighbors son was charged last year with taking a second shot 3 minutes after light. The COs cut him some slack, due to being younger and lack of experience, but still slapped him with a ticket as to not let him off completely (lesson learned for him without ruinging hunting for him). I was out pushing bush with them when the CO came out to speak to them, and he gave us the advice of calling in before going after a wounded animal, and asking how they woukd like you to proceed.
Good advice from a very friendly, understanding CO. I was very impressed by how they handled the situation.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Driver View Post
A neighbors son was charged last year with taking a second shot 3 minutes after light. The COs cut him some slack, due to being younger and lack of experience, but still slapped him with a ticket as to not let him off completely (lesson learned for him without ruinging hunting for him). I was out pushing bush with them when the CO came out to speak to them, and he gave us the advice of calling in before going after a wounded animal, and asking how they woukd like you to proceed.
Good advice from a very friendly, understanding CO. I was very impressed by how they handled the situation.
Surprised he didn't mention that "pushing bush" is also illegal.

Last edited by ACKLEY ABE; 10-29-2013 at 06:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-29-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKLEY ABE View Post
Surprised he didn't mention that "pushing bush" is also illegal.
It is? I didn't know this, could you explain please?
Old 10-29-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCL View Post
It is? I didn't know this, could you explain please?
X2
Old 10-29-2013, 08:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
X2
X3
Old 10-29-2013, 08:27 AM

Its not illegal Abe...as long as the bush pushers have a valid tag in that wmu or were looking to push "coyotes" out.
But to those that asked what Abe was referring to or what I will assume he was referring to was that no one unless they hold a valid tag can assist in a hunt. That includes pushing bush, calling, glassing etc. Basically you can follow your partner around but you are not suppose to point out animals or do anything.....its a silly rule and is broken endlessly.
So lets say myself and hunting partner go out for a week long elk trip and I tag out on the second day ....it would be illegal for me to call or spot elk for my partner to shoot.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:34 AM

I wouldn't personally make a shot that close to dark/last legal light, but that is just me.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
We called F&W and they asked location and names and said go ahead and put down animal. Easy 2 min call and no worries. Thanked us for the call and said it probably saved them a trip out to investigate.
Exactamondo!
Old 10-29-2013, 08:45 AM

Unless he is saying the chasing or harrasing part
Old 10-29-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Its not illegal Abe...as long as the bush pushers have a valid tag in that wmu or were looking to push "coyotes" out.
But to those that asked what Abe was referring to or what I will assume he was referring to was that no one unless they hold a valid tag can assist in a hunt. That includes pushing bush, calling, glassing etc. Basically you can follow your partner around but you are not suppose to point out animals or do anything.....its a silly rule and is broken endlessly.
So lets say myself and hunting partner go out for a week long elk trip and I tag out on the second day ....it would be illegal for me to call or spot elk for my partner to shoot.
Correct on all counts...

You cannot push animals ...you can still hunt or be walking through the bush looking to shoot coyotes (if your deer, moose, elk tag is filled) and if they come out where your hunting partner is waiting.... but pushing animals is not accecptable.

Also could be considered harrarsment or "party hunting".

Last edited by ACKLEY ABE; 10-29-2013 at 08:51 AM. Reason: addition
Old 10-29-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Where does it say in the regs that you can't help out. As long as your not pulling the trigger what does it matter. If you don't have any tags left you can still legally hunt coyotes.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorot View Post
Its called shot oops knife placement. Thrust the knife where your bullet shoul have been and youl be okay.
A four inch knife blade thrust into the side of an 700 lb elk? That wouldn't be my first choice. I think I'd go for the throat and try to slit it. But heck, my first choice would be to shoot it again.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
True enough. Wonder how many charges are even laid or stick? "I wasn't helping him hunt, I was just observing." I would imagine evidence is pretty hard to come by in many cases.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:57 AM

Better leave the kids at home....wouldn't want the warden to overhear, "Look at the deer Daddy!"

LC
Old 10-29-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKLEY ABE View Post
Correct on all counts...

You cannot push animals ...you can still hunt or be walking through the bush looking to shoot coyotes (if your deer, moose, elk tag is filled) and if they come out where your hunting partner is waiting.... but pushing animals is not accecptable.

Also could be considered harrarsment or "party hunting".
Why is pushing unacceptable?
"Party Hunting" refers to allowing other hunters in your hunting party to use your tags.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Where does it say in the regs that you can't help out. As long as your not pulling the trigger what does it matter. If you don't have any tags left you can still legally hunt coyotes.
Tried looking online quickly and couldn't find it ill check my regulation book at home.

Its a silly rule I know but when I was told I did check it out and read it in the regulations somewhere.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:39 AM

If pushing bush is illegal. It is a pretty safe bet to say that 85% o animals taken during rifle season are taken "illegally". Ridiculousness at its finest!!
"I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only is a target but as living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life,if I can with regrets as well as joy, with the sure knowledge that natures way of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate then I can bestow."- Fred Bear
Old 10-29-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupped N Committed View Post
If pushing bush is illegal. It is a pretty safe bet to say that 85% o animals taken during rifle season are taken "illegally". Ridiculousness at its finest!!
85%? I do not think that many people push bush....now if you said 85% of animals are taken within 300m from a road I might agree

LC
Old 10-29-2013, 10:57 AM

Every single person I know has pushed at one time or another. It's about filling that tag to feed a family or spending quality time together. This is the only time I get to see some of my family. I think it's overlooked by many CO's because of how long it's been happening and how difficult the enforcement would be due to the "I was lookin for coyotes" crowd. We have been checked before. Officer wished us luck and kept on keepin on.
"I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only is a target but as living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life,if I can with regrets as well as joy, with the sure knowledge that natures way of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate then I can bestow."- Fred Bear
Old 10-29-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Tried looking online quickly and couldn't find it ill check my regulation book at home.

Its a silly rule I know but when I was told I did check it out and read it in the regulations somewhere.
I spoke with an officer 2 yrs ago about this as I had a moose draw in one zone but my friend wanted to archery hunt his general tag in another zone. I wanted to join and call for him so the officer told me as long as I didn't have a weapon it wouldn't be possible to prove intent so I could legally call for him.

Possibly calling in an animal wouldn't be considered harassment whereas pushing-bush is? just guessing on that one.
Not sure on the fine print, just stating what I was told by the guy that would be writing the ticket.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:15 AM

I'm not buying it. We have pushed bush ever since I could hunt. Whoever has the tags sits on the line or field. Whoever has already filled their tag or doesn't have one does the pushing.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
I spoke with an officer 2 yrs ago about this as I had a moose draw in one zone but my friend wanted to archery hunt his general tag in another zone. I wanted to join and call for him so the officer told me as long as I didn't have a weapon it wouldn't be possible to prove intent so I could legally call for him.
I suspect you misinterpreted what the officer said. Perhaps without the weapon they could't PROVE intent, but you can never LEGALLY call for him if you don't have a license. It would still be illegal, the officer is just saying it's unlikely they would have enough evidence to convict. Not the same.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I suspect you misinterpreted what the officer said. Perhaps without the weapon they could't PROVE intent, but you can never LEGALLY call for him if you don't have a license. It would still be illegal, the officer is just saying it's unlikely they would have enough evidence to convict. Not the same.
No, I clarified myself with him better than my post. The exact words escape me but the short of it was- if I didn't have a weapon, then I didn't have intent. Therefore it would be legal.
A lot of what is in the regulations is up to the officer's interpretation though, and then the court's as well. I've gotten different clarification from 2 different officers several times before.
I usually write the officer's name down with the date of the call as I did for the above example.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:01 PM

Pushing is not the safest method of hunting either. Read of more then a few accidents happening.
Last yr if I recall, an AO member posted how happy they were their family had a day out hunting, he desribed how he sent his wife and kids (2 or 3 kids under 12 yrs old) to push bush and he waited on them.
Could not believe what I was reading.

TBark
Old 10-29-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post

Possibly calling in an animal wouldn't be considered harassment whereas pushing-bush is? just guessing on that one.
Not sure on the fine print, just stating what I was told by the guy that would be writing the ticket.
(o) “hunt” means, subject to subsection (6), with reference to a subject animal,
(i) shoot at, harass or worry,
(ii) chase, pursue, follow after or on the trail of, search for, flush, stalk or lie in wait for,
(iii) capture or wilfully injure or kill,
(iv) attempt to capture, injure or kill, or
(v) assist another person to
hunt in a manner specified in
subclause (i), (ii), (iii) or (iv) while that other person
is so hunting;

From the Wildlife Act. If you are assisting a hunter you are "hunting". If you do not have a licence it is illegal to hunt. Pushing bush without a licence is hunting since you are searching for, flushing and following after the trail of game to assist another hunter.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
(o) “hunt” means, subject to subsection (6), with reference to a subject animal,
(i) shoot at, harass or worry,
(ii) chase, pursue, follow after or on the trail of, search for, flush, stalk or lie in wait for,
(iii) capture or wilfully injure or kill,
(iv) attempt to capture, injure or kill, or
(v) assist another person to
hunt in a manner specified in
subclause (i), (ii), (iii) or (iv) while that other person
is so hunting;

From the Wildlife Act. If you are assisting a hunter you are "hunting". If you do not have a licence it is illegal to hunt. Pushing bush without a licence is hunting since you are searching for, flushing and following after the trail of game to assist another hunter.
Ed Zachery..... so if your tag is filled (and that's usually why your doin the walking and your buddy is sitting waiting) , you'd better be walking through the bush huntin coyotes..not "pushing" deer for for your buddy at the end of the bush, cause your tag is filled.

Not sure if I've ever heard of anyone being charged, but it something to consider.

Last edited by ACKLEY ABE; 10-29-2013 at 12:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-29-2013, 01:13 PM

Seen the local CO and his buds Pushing bush many times so not sure about this one
Old 10-29-2013, 01:25 PM

If I remember correctly the 2012 hunting regs had an article about cut lines and they talked about pushing deer by using parallel cut lines. Could be going crazy????