Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-15-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I agree Abe.....to become an old hunter, you have to be a new hunter and we were all there at some point.

LC

X2

Will be a full freezer.

BH

Old 11-15-2013, 08:33 AM

Freezer will be full indeed. Personally I'm in it for the meat more than anything, if I'm allowed 3 WT, ill certainly do my best to get my limit. I have a family to feed, I would rather do that in the wild than at Costco. Probably the last time ill post any does on here. Most of the group seems to be trophy hunters. I don't have a problem with that, a simple congrats is all want. I'm fully aware that SOME WMU's are hurting. That's not the case everywhere.

Last edited by AppleJax; 11-15-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKLEY ABE View Post
I understood what you meant and hopefully so did most everyone else.... One of the five stages that hunters go through during their life....Personally I think Im in a combo stage of late 3 and early 4 right now....Trophy....and Method.

Numbers are down right now but if they continue to issue the tags and people choose to use them, then so be it. Been der, done dat myself.
X2
Old 11-15-2013, 08:38 AM

Nice work AJ!! Congrats Buddy.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Nice work AJ!! Congrats Buddy.
Thanks bud, might have to rent some freezer space off you!
Old 11-15-2013, 09:25 AM

Seen plenty of twin fawns this year. I've only noticed a decline to deer sightings after november 1st. Go figure.truck and quad hunters pushing them into the bush. During bow season my sightings were high.
I took a fawn myself this year.along with a mule buck and whitetail buck.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:27 AM

Awesome.. congrats to you on your freezer meat. And that buck looks great!
Old 11-15-2013, 09:37 AM

Good job man, Great looking buck and enjoy the tenderness, my GF shot her first whitey this year and happened to be a fawn....DELICIOUS , ENJOY!
Old 11-15-2013, 09:54 AM

The way I look at it 25lbs off a fawn plus 15 lbs of pork mixed with it that's 40lbs of sausage I don't think anyone would turn down 40lbs of sausage. Good job on the deer I'm sure the family will enjoy it
Old 11-15-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJax View Post
Thanks bud, might have to rent some freezer space off you!
LOL not if you ever want to see what you put in there again!!
Old 11-15-2013, 10:18 AM

Congrats!

Keep posting pics don't let the one -ve post out of the MANY positive ones get you down.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 11-15-2013, 10:36 AM

Fantastic , congrats on filling the tags , where I hunt the deer numbers are high , and there 's not a darn thing with killing does or fawns ,,, I wouldn't let any negative comments bother you too much here .
Enjoy all that fine table fare!!!
Old 11-15-2013, 10:44 AM
Banned

congrats on filling your tags AJ. just had some backstrap steak off the yearling buck hanging in my shop. delicious.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:16 PM

Congrats AJ ,no issue with filling your tags ! Enjoy the good eats and keep smilling !
Old 11-15-2013, 10:18 PM

Congrats on your successful hunting season........Marco
Old 11-15-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarCreek View Post
Congrats on your successful hunting season........Marco
Thanks Marco, do you do European mounts?
Old 11-15-2013, 11:26 PM

Good job AJ, nothing wrong with that.
I got my buck 3 days ago, he was chasing 2 doe, one fawn was just off to the side.
Like the parents giving the kid the keys to the mustang so he can go see Alice, haa.
Anyways after I dropped the buck both doe just stood around, I was really thinking about taking one of them on my supp tag. But I had a bit of work to do already, I was solo hunting, weather was good, +2.
Guess what I'm trying to fill now in blowing snow and -15 deg ?

TBark
Old 11-15-2013, 11:37 PM

Juicy piles of meat... omnomnomnomnom!

Right on, dude!
Old 11-16-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltmania View Post
Good job.
Fawn on brother. As good if not better than spring lamb!
better..greasy tallowy sheep. Blech!

Nothing beats slow roasting the whole joint and serving with root vegetables.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Freezer will be full indeed. Personally I'm in it for the meat more than anything, if I'm allowed 3 WT, ill certainly do my best to get my limit. I have a family to feed, I would rather do that in the wild than at Costco. Probably the last time ill post any does on here. Most of the group seems to be trophy hunters. I don't have a problem with that, a simple congrats is all want. I'm fully aware that SOME WMU's are hurting. That's not the case everywhere.
Congrats AJ, i actually took a button buck last weekend and really debated posting anything, as I was quite proud of the 150yard heart shot (pretty good for me as I've only been shooting for about 2 full years and am overcoming a terrible flinch) and it was also the first animal I field dressed COMPLETELY on my own.
But I knew I would get flamed for shooting such a young guy.
Good on you and congrats again!

Schian
Old 11-16-2013, 12:46 PM

nice job AJ. I had no idea that you were strong enough to hold up a deer in just one hand! you're a monster!
Old 11-16-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schian View Post
Congrats AJ, i actually took a button buck last weekend and really debated posting anything, as I was quite proud of the 150yard heart shot (pretty good for me as I've only been shooting for about 2 full years and am overcoming a terrible flinch) and it was also the first animal I field dressed COMPLETELY on my own.
But I knew I would get flamed for shooting such a young guy.
Good on you and congrats again!

Schian
Congrats on your harvest Schian!
Old 11-16-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
That's their perogative. I kept my limit of perch a few times last winter, some good eats. I also have my limit of Coho Salmon, Pink Salmon, Chinook Salmon, Halibut, Albarcore Tuna, Smallmouth bass, Sauger. We eat good at my house. I have a wife and 2 children to feed, 1 more on the way. Keep your elitest pesemistic views to yourself. Maybe go make a donation to peta while your at it too. GFY.
As i mentioned was just looking for your thoughts on the topic. Didnt need the ramble of all of your adventures fishing the world feeding your family as a main priority. I was just trying to compare the two in our depleted fisheries & soon to be wildlife and your thoughts on it

Glad you got your 11oz of meat off your 15 4" perch & your 12lbs off of your fawns. Glad you have enough money to travel to the coast and else where to feed the family as a main concern.!! Congrats on the seasons harvest and spoils.

Oh and thanks for letting the cat out of the bag about my Peta donation. I was trying to keep to myself but...
Old 11-16-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:

Actually most of the group are like you. We just happen to have more than our share of dorks. Good on you for eating wild.

If most guys here are trophy hunters I see very few pictures to prove it. Famous Louis L'Amour character line....." I ain't seen none of yer graveyards"

Some people need to get a life. Please keep up the posts.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:18 PM
Banned

I don't know what's with these clowns that are flaming you for shooting a fawn. Maybe they only hunt for antlers and not for meat, I don't know. Some feel that it's poor conservation to be shooting fawns.....how dumb is that? Don't they realize that shooting a doe essentially takes 3 deer out of the bush not to mention the 2 fawn that may not survive without their mother? That would equal 5 deer in total!!!! Instead of taking 2 does I wish that more guys were like you and shoot fawn instead of does on their sup tags. If you don't need the meat from 2 does why shoot 2......take 1 or 2 fawn if that's all you need!!!!

I almost feel like using my general tag on a fawn instead of a buck just to post up pictures and try to educate/take these guys on!

I have a doe to finish up butchering but I think that I should start a thread discussing the virtues of shooting fawns vs does when I have the time.

IMO it's just plain RUDE to comment on threads like this with anything other than a congratulations. Some people's kids!!! If shooting fawns bothers some people so much they should start their own thread stating why they feel that way.

Anyways AJ, you don't have to justify anything to anyone, especially people that I would consider trolls (If the shoe fits, wear it!).

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE SUCCESSFUL HUNT! As a 2nd year big game hunter I think that you did AWESOME! A nice buck, a nice doe and a nice fawn to fill your last tag. WELL DONE!
Old 11-16-2013, 01:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap Shot View Post
Since you refrenced the fishing thread. I was wondering how you feel about ppl with limits of 4-5" perch posting/bragging that they have to take there limit just because they are allowed to?
nothing wrong with keeping the legal limit of fish, though most people don't keep very small ones due to lack of flesh, but then again it's there choice.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap Shot View Post
Oh and thanks for letting the cat out of the bag about my Peta donation. I was trying to keep to myself but...
From the AO forum rules......"This message board is for hunters, anglers, trappers, and other persons who may be interested in hunting, fishing and trapping. Therefore, anti-hunters, anti-anglers, and anti-trappers are not welcome to the use of this message board."
Old 11-16-2013, 01:55 PM

Hey AJ, congrats. No shame in getting good meat.

BTW, I got 2 yearling does myself this year. Man, are they good eating! They will last about 2 months the way its going

It's been quite a while since we ate venison. Last year I came up empty - too little time and to picky, only had one shot and 'bagged' a bit of hair. The year before I got one smaller 4 X 4, I figure a 2 1/2 year old. Before that it was 2007 when we had one in the freezer. I'm going to still, hopefully, get out and look for another one yet too, and if I have an opportunity I'm taking it. And then cow elk in the January season!
Old 11-16-2013, 02:23 PM

Congrats on filling the freezer AJ and don't let the nay sayers and horn heads get you down. I always put at least one fawn into the freezer every year as even the shoulders and shanks make great eating.

My 16 years of big game hunting have allowed me to kill several dozen deer and I'm just as proud of the fawn I stalked into 30 yds of and shot in the head as I am about the 165 I rattled in and shot at 125 yds and the doe I shot at 550 yds. They're all deer, they were all legal, and they all tasted great. If you make a clean kill and utilize the animal fully, it's an animal to be proud of.

Some of these guys seem to think that the inches of bone on the deer they kill somehow translates to inches of sclhong on themselves.

We keep hearing that noone "needs" the meat. That might be true. What is definitely true is that absolutely noone needs the antlers for anything. Maybe all these horn heads need to hang up the gun and leave the animals for those who truly appreciate them.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 11-16-2013, 02:55 PM

If AJ was a 16 year old who had only two years under his belt would people be so hard on him?

The fact he is a 20 something hunter (maybe 30 somethimg?) with only two years under his belt leaves him open to "fair game" to criticize?

Truth is whether he is 16 with two years experience or 20 something with 2 years experience he is still a new hunter.

I personally think it is a shame that the media and all the marketing that goes around hunting has new hunters becoming hunting "trendoids"....and feeling like they have to put up big bone numbers to prove something.

I hunt moose and elk for meat, if I don't get one of those with the bow then I hunt deer for meat, and likely with the rifle.

Once the freezer is full I hunt for mature white tails, why? Because I like the challenge....I like hunting mature animals.

I saw 14 different bucks yesterday and let them all walk....I had two bucks I rattled in sparring 60 yards from me and I watched them for 30 mins including 20 mins past last light...I could have shot 10 of the 14 deer that crossed the path I was watching....

So do I now get criticized for not pulling the trigger? Am I a "horn head"? I don't think so...I just didn't see the one I wanted to shoot.

Hunting means a different thing to each and every person, I have passed filling certain tags because "it was too easy". And I have not filled tags before wishing I took the "easy way"....

I had an elk tag I waited 9 years to draw and could have shot several animals but I was looking for a good one....that tag never was filled. I also had a moose draw last year and I shot the first tastey bull that I called in first week if November.

When I was younger hunting was about the body count...now it's about the method and experience. BUT if my freezer is empty and I want some wild game then if the timing is right I might shoot something to enjoy the taste of.

Hunters judging hunters does no one any good.

LC