Gone Hunting

Congrats on a successful season.

save a tree kill a beaver
Chuck Norris can bump fire a bolt action
"A predators heart knows no remorse. It lives for the hunt, a natural force."
Old 11-16-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
If AJ was a 16 year old who had only two years under his belt would people be so hard on him?

The fact he is a 20 something hunter (maybe 30 somethimg?) with only two years under his belt leaves him open to "fair game" to criticize?

Truth is whether he is 16 with two years experience or 20 something with 2 years experience he is still a new hunter.

I personally think it is a shame that the media and all the marketing that goes around hunting has new hunters becoming hunting "trendoids"....and feeling like they have to put up big bone numbers to prove something.

I hunt moose and elk for meat, if I don't get one of those with the bow then I hunt deer for meat, and likely with the rifle.

Once the freezer is full I hunt for mature white tails, why? Because I like the challenge....I like hunting mature animals.

I saw 14 different bucks yesterday and let them all walk....I had two bucks I rattled in sparring 60 yards from me and I watched them for 30 mins including 20 mins past last light...I could have shot 10 of the 14 deer that crossed the path I was watching....

So do I now get criticized for not pulling the trigger? Am I a "horn head"? I don't think so...I just didn't see the one I wanted to shoot.

Hunting means a different thing to each and every person, I have passed filling certain tags because "it was too easy". And I have not filled tags before wishing I took the "easy way"....

I had an elk tag I waited 9 years to draw and could have shot several animals but I was looking for a good one....that tag never was filled. I also had a moose draw last year and I shot the first tastey bull that I called in first week if November.

When I was younger hunting was about the body count...now it's about the method and experience. BUT if my freezer is empty and I want some wild game then if the timing is right I might shoot something to enjoy the taste of.

Hunters judging hunters does no one any good.

LC

I think it is more about game management for a lot of people.

The herds have had 2 out of three brutal winters.

It would be nice to see them come back in stronger numbers.

How many threads pop up about no moose in this WMU. No deer here, no decent bucks and so on and so forth.

I for one don't want our game to turn out like our fisheries, but if hunters don't change thief attitudes, and take what they can just cause they have the tag it will be draw only for everything soon enough.

I don't feel the need to argue with anyone over the subject either, I would discuss it with them, but most can't check emotions at the door. Shoot all you want. Just don't complain about the system and the way that it is headed if you aren't willing to do anything pro active about it.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:19 PM

Congratts AJ!
Old 11-16-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey View Post

How many threads pop up about no moose in this WMU. No deer here, no decent bucks and so on and so forth.

I for one don't want our game to turn out like our fisheries, but if hunters don't change thief attitudes, and take what they can just cause they have the tag it will be draw only for everything soon enough.

I don't feel the need to argue with anyone over the subject either, I would discuss it with them, but most can't check emotions at the door. Shoot all you want. Just don't complain about the system and the way that it is headed if you aren't willing to do anything pro active about it.
I agree....unfortunately too many folks wait for SRD to make a game management decision....we all know how well those have gone.

I think some personal restraint is in order in certain areas of the province and in others higher harvests are sustainable.

LC
Old 11-16-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
If AJ was a 16 year old who had only two years under his belt would people be so hard on him?

The fact he is a 20 something hunter (maybe 30 somethimg?) with only two years under his belt leaves him open to "fair game" to criticize?

Truth is whether he is 16 with two years experience or 20 something with 2 years experience he is still a new hunter.

I personally think it is a shame that the media and all the marketing that goes around hunting has new hunters becoming hunting "trendoids"....and feeling like they have to put up big bone numbers to prove something.

I hunt moose and elk for meat, if I don't get one of those with the bow then I hunt deer for meat, and likely with the rifle.

Once the freezer is full I hunt for mature white tails, why? Because I like the challenge....I like hunting mature animals.

I saw 14 different bucks yesterday and let them all walk....I had two bucks I rattled in sparring 60 yards from me and I watched them for 30 mins including 20 mins past last light...I could have shot 10 of the 14 deer that crossed the path I was watching....

So do I now get criticized for not pulling the trigger? Am I a "horn head"? I don't think so...I just didn't see the one I wanted to shoot.

Hunting means a different thing to each and every person, I have passed filling certain tags because "it was too easy". And I have not filled tags before wishing I took the "easy way"....

I had an elk tag I waited 9 years to draw and could have shot several animals but I was looking for a good one....that tag never was filled. I also had a moose draw last year and I shot the first tastey bull that I called in first week if November.

When I was younger hunting was about the body count...now it's about the method and experience. BUT if my freezer is empty and I want some wild game then if the timing is right I might shoot something to enjoy the taste of.

Hunters judging hunters does no one any good.

LC
I hunt as you do Lefty. My comments were directed so as to show how easily the fire could be directed the other way.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 11-16-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey View Post

And in many WMU's or localized areas thereof the population is fine.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 11-16-2013, 03:34 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
And in many WMU's or localized areas thereof the population is fine.
yup, but as we have found out, they are likely 1 or 2 bad winters away from being decimated as well due to over harvest...would be nice to find a balance some how?
Old 11-16-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
yup, but as we have found out, they are likely 1 or 2 bad winters away from being decimated as well due to over harvest...would be nice to find a balance some how?
Not shooting them now ain't going to help them if the winter is bad later.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 11-16-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I agree....unfortunately too many folks wait for SRD to make a game management decision....we all know how well those have gone.

I think some personal restraint is in order in certain areas of the province and in others higher harvests are sustainable.
Exactly, a little common sense can go a long way. Unfortunately, some people care far more about filling as many tags as they can today, than about the future of hunting in Alberta. In some areas, that won't hurt the population, significantly, but in other areas, the population simply can't sustain such a harvest.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap Shot View Post
. I could of killed 3 ford in my stand right now.
I've gotta admit I laughed at this misspelling . At least I hope it's a misspelling!

If not, what do you have against fords? Where can a guy get tags for them?
Not that I would 'tag and bag' one, I drive one! Maybe dodge's though

Old 11-16-2013, 03:51 PM

Nice work AJ. I hope to remove a yearling or young doe from our property this year. As part of my QDM I don't like shooting the older, experienced, good mothers. No supplemental tags in my area, so it'll be my general tag.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:55 PM

Truth be told I buy my supplemental tags each and every year....but the last time I filled one was three years ago when I was seeing a tonne of does. I am not above taking a doe if the population can support some antlerless harvest. That is just one of the areas I hunt that had good numbers, but now the numbers are down so I will hold off....and likely those tags will not be filled.

The folks who are criticizing AJ do not know where he was hunting, perhaps it is a zone that has an abundance of does? Perhaps it is on a family farm and they are tired if having the deer **** on the grain?

....too many assumptions were made in giving him a hard time.

LC
Old 11-16-2013, 04:38 PM

Good job!!! A deer is a deer. They all take the same tag. Plus I'm sure the fawn taste great.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:56 PM

[IMG][/IMG], no judgment here, quite a few members here could use this photo for use as their avatar

Congrats on all the good eats. I too also buy sup tags every year but have not filled one in a few. Now stuck at work till the end of the season will have many tags to decorate the tree with. Oh well, still have 2 cases of smokies from last year. Just make sure none of that fine meat goes in the trash next year cause it's a new season, take only what you need!

Last edited by SkytopBrewster; 11-16-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJax View Post
Shot my first buck in October, a decent 4x5. Went out on Monday and filled my supplemental's. Gonna have a busy day butchering on Saturday! I still have a Mule doe draw for 236 that I hope to fill.
Thank you for sharing and the pictures.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:16 PM

Grats Nice Year so far

Thanks for sharing

David
Old 11-16-2013, 05:38 PM

Congratulations. Glad you were able to fill the freezer.
Thanks for posting
Old 11-16-2013, 07:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Check your private messages, by clicking on private messages, under your username, at the top right of the page, under the advertising.
Thank you elkhunter11. Did as you said and found out I had "insulted other members" according to Pixel Shooter, a moderator. The post removed concerned AJ and his deer shooting so I assume that is who I insulted. This resulted in an infraction. AJ got enough accolades in this thread that I'm sure my dissenting view on shooting this many deer and then going after more won't cost him any sleep. As a hunter for too many years I find the overall attitude of if its legal "do it" very troubling. I can't imagine what a non hunter would think if they read this thread.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJax View Post
Shot my first buck in October, a decent 4x5. Went out on Monday and filled my supplemental's. Gonna have a busy day butchering on Saturday! I still have a Mule doe draw for 236 that I hope to fill.
Congrats man, now go get that mule doe.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven65lunatic View Post
When he gets the muley doe remember "a simple congrats" is all he wants!
Exactly. Now you get it!

If you can't say something nice about a fellow legal hunter then shut your cakehole.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 11-16-2013, 10:51 PM

I enjoyed reading this thread. Applejax don't take it to heart. Some good discussion on here. You did everything legal and are entitled to shoot 3 deer. If you like deer meat all the power to you. Myself I like moose and elk and generally get deer made into sausage. I personally wouldn't shoot 3 deer because I think if I had 3 whole deer made into sausage I'd be sick of it in hurry. Besides the cost of getting sausage made adds up pretty quick.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:31 AM
Banned

Quote:

LC
Stopping the discussion? - sorry I'm so dense
Old 11-17-2013, 11:39 AM

hmmmm , clean up aisle #9 and a few suspensions. im cranky this morning, so keep it up.......... why feed the trolls
Old 11-17-2013, 01:09 PM

Thumbs up

Congrats AppleJax.
It is so rewarding to fill any tag we are lucky enough too. I have taken fawns with no regrets. It leaves mother to have another fawn next year. And they are so, so tender.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob.303 View Post
Congrats AppleJax.
It is so rewarding to fill any tag we are lucky enough too. I have taken fawns with no regrets. It leaves mother to have another fawn next year. And they are so, so tender.
Thanks Jimbob, yes they are very tasty!
Old 11-17-2013, 07:32 PM

Default Nice Season

Good job mister!
Old 11-19-2013, 09:45 PM

Congrats.