Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-16-2013, 11:29 PM

Default Mule rut in the 160 units

How are you fellas makin out down there!!are they haremed up yet?chasin?!!lets see some pics!
Old 11-17-2013, 07:02 AM

Bucks were with does last weekend I went out and filled my doe tag with my four year old boy lots of deer there this year.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:53 PM

Mulies are going hard now. Seen a Jumbo with 17 does on Friday. He was working a particular doe that looked like she was ready to stand for him. Watched a handful of other bucks chasing with noses to the ground.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:35 PM
Banned

Theyre going hard
Old 11-17-2013, 03:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swangin View Post
Theyre going hard
Little ones are. Big ones I seen are still by them selves.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:34 PM

WAS in 163 yesterday /////bucks had no interest

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 11-17-2013, 06:27 PM
Banned

We were in 162 Thurs, Fri and Sat and found the complete opposite. We saw 9 different bucks Friday, 2 well over 180 and they were chasing does hard.

Saturday was a write off with that wind. We will be back at it Wednsday night.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
We were in 162 Thurs, Fri and Sat and found the complete opposite. We saw 9 different bucks Friday, 2 well over 180 and they were chasing does hard.

Saturday was a write off with that wind. We will be back at it Wednsday night.
What are you hunting a buck or doe? If you saw 2 well over 180" in that zone you should have shot one as there is no monsters left in that zone unless you have some access were no one else can go. Way to many tags for a long time. What is the biggest deer you have shot by the way?
Old 11-17-2013, 11:06 PM

Haha wow buddy he was probably whitetail hunting.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:50 PM
Banned

No, all 3 of us are Muley hunting. Although we have some great access I am fairly confident the landowners involved will let on anybody that asks with a little respect. There are lots of great Mule Deer in the zone. The rooms on either side of us in the hotel we stayed in had Mule Deer "hunters" too. They sang the same sad song "no big bucks left anymore" yada yada yada. It gave us a chuckle because as we were making our stalk on a shooter they made 3 passes in their pickup at the top of the coulee and passed within 100 yards of him each time. They didnt see him or us. In their defense though, it was a bit chilly and maybe his windows were fogged up

There are lots of great bucks in all those 160 zones, theyre just not as well freezer trained as they used to be.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfowler1969 View Post
What are you hunting a buck or doe? If you saw 2 well over 180" in that zone you should have shot one as there is no monsters left in that zone unless you have some access were no one else can go. Way to many tags for a long time. What is the biggest deer you have shot by the way?
Gotta remember who's doin the typing here waterfowler....

He lets mid 180" class whitetails walk all day long.....

Doesn't even raise an eyebrow at 160"'ers

Old 11-18-2013, 05:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
No, all 3 of us are Muley hunting. Although we have some great access I am fairly confident the landowners involved will let on anybody that asks with a little respect. There are lots of great Mule Deer in the zone. The rooms on either side of us in the hotel we stayed in had Mule Deer "hunters" too. They sang the same sad song "no big bucks left anymore" yada yada yada. It gave us a chuckle because as we were making our stalk on a shooter they made 3 passes in their pickup at the top of the coulee and passed within 100 yards of him each time. They didnt see him or us. In their defense though, it was a bit chilly and maybe his windows were fogged up

There are lots of great bucks in all those 160 zones, theyre just not as well freezer trained as they used to be.
So I ask how many 180"+ deer have you shot? what is your biggest whitetail as well? I bet you don't even know what a 180" deer looks like on the hoof. If so post all your 180"+ deer you have shot.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:22 PM
Banned

????

Not sure where all this is coming from. I live in an area famous for big Whitetails. I have one over 180 and want a bigger one.....but what in the world does that have to do with Mule Deer in the 160s?

Man this place is full of them.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
????

Not sure where all this is coming from. I live in an area famous for big Whitetails. I have one over 180 and want a bigger one.....but what in the world does that have to do with Mule Deer in the 160s?

Man this place is full of them.
Most people that run there mouth about all the big animals they see have never killed anything that big. I will bet your 180" is not a true 180 anyway. That is why I asked. I have many over that by a bit. Every time I hear about a. Big buck and I see a picture it is a 160-170" deer. As for the rut no it is not going other than little guys out in those zones referred to.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Most people that run there mouth about all the big animals they see have never killed anything that big.

I have many over that

Ya, you're probably right.

Do you have anything helpful to add there Slick? When you're done beating your chest feel free to join in on some constructive conversation
Old 11-18-2013, 11:57 PM
Banned

P.S --> Since your hung up on why we didn't get one: its because my lovely wife missed after a 2 hour stalk at 300 yards. Not for a lack of trying. The other one we saw would have been a much easier shot but was on land we had no permission on.

Anyway, looks like I will be going back solo Wednesday night. If any of you decent fellows have a tag and are looking for a partner send me a pm. I have lots of good access and have done a lot of scouting this year. Not really interested in driving around in the truck, I tend to spend my days sneaking along the coulees.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:57 AM

Default Good luck

Good luck this week! I'll be busting the hills in 108 solo as well.
Shoot Straight!
Old 11-19-2013, 08:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Ya, you're probably right.

Do you have anything helpful to add there Slick? When you're done beating your chest feel free to join in on some constructive conversation
Nice edit. Now that you think you are cool go kill that 180'+ mule that is in your zone since you think you know what you are talking about. Please post a picture so we all can see a giant mule deer.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
P.S --> Since your hung up on why we didn't get one: its because my lovely wife missed after a 2 hour stalk at 300 yards. Not for a lack of trying. The other one we saw would have been a much easier shot but was on land we had no permission on.

Anyway, looks like I will be going back solo Wednesday night. If any of you decent fellows have a tag and are looking for a partner send me a pm. I have lots of good access and have done a lot of scouting this year. Not really interested in driving around in the truck, I tend to spend my days sneaking along the coulees.
Not hung up on anything. Just think you are full of it. Good luck on Wednesday. Cant wait to see your pictures.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:06 AM

Hey Snowman Ill let you know next week how the bucks are moving when your pushing bush for me LOL Cant wait to get down there and get after those Mule Bucks..
Old 11-19-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Most people that run there mouth about all the big animals they see have never killed anything that big. I will bet your 180" is not a true 180 anyway. That is why I asked. I have many over that by a bit. Every time I hear about a. Big buck and I see a picture it is a 160-170" deer. As for the rut no it is not going other than little guys out in those zones referred to.
Quote from another outdoors site that Swangin, (or big bears, high wild'n free, whitetailer,ect ect ect is on)

"Yup. Absolutley. I have had a TON of usernames on that other bs site. With the exception of the first one years ago they have all been for one reason and one reason alone: to amuse myself by working up all the keyboard jockeys, nothing more.

There you have it. Now hold up your end by shuttin your trap already lol."

Don't let this guy get under your skin waterfowler, the only reason he posts is in the above quotation.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
Quote from another outdoors site that Swangin, (or big bears, high wild'n free, whitetailer,ect ect ect is on)

"Yup. Absolutley. I have had a TON of usernames on that other bs site. With the exception of the first one years ago they have all been for one reason and one reason alone: to amuse myself by working up all the keyboard jockeys, nothing more.

There you have it. Now hold up your end by shuttin your trap already lol."

Don't let this guy get under your skin waterfowler, the only reason he posts is in the above quotation.

??????
Say no to crack
Old 11-19-2013, 10:16 AM

Old 11-19-2013, 10:40 AM

Default now now boys

All I asked was a question fellas no need for everyone to get all fired up an start bashin one another bout "who knows what an 180" deer an all that"..an yes stepanuk I may push a bush or two for ya.mabey...lol!!happy huntin!