Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-28-2007, 01:22 PM

Default Shushwap

I am heading out house boating towards the end of july and wondering if it would be worth bringing the rod or just stick to beer drinking? Any advice on what species and lures would be great.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:36 PM
Banned

Default Beer is your friend

Stick to the beer. Tried fishing a couple times there off the houseboat with high hopes of bbq trout. But ya never know. If you got the cash for the fishing licences to spare I've heard of some guys catching a trout off the back of the houseboat while they were beached. I seem to remember that you had to buy a couple different licences, one for kokanee, etc etc. I think around 60 bucks for all fish species on the shuswap.

Let us know how you made out when you get back.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:46 PM

Default Shuswap

I'm going there this year. Three years ago I tried fishing fishing off the back of the boat. I did manage to hook a few good size trout. (3 - 5 pounds)

Problem was I did not have a down rigger. I used the sliding lead weight. Using an apex lure, let out about 100 feet of line and then attach your sliding weight. At trolling speed your trying to get your lure down to about 20 feet.

The best times were early in the morning and later in the evening. When you do hook them, your in for a pretty good rodeo. Thats when the sliding weight becomes the problem. In my case the fish through themselves off the hook.

I'll see if I can get my hands on a down rigger this year. Better depth control and once it pops its just you and the fish.

Good luck on your trip. Here is a link to show you what an apex lure is. The water melon one worked for me.

Ed S.

http://www.hotspotlures.com/products_apex_troll.php
Old 07-04-2007, 03:47 PM

FiveO,

Try silver spoons when you're out there there, they'll be deeper than when I was there a couple of weeks ago so try to get it down the best you can from the houseboat. There are lots of trout in there. I had good luck with the Bows and Lakers in about 50 feet of water or 17 depending on who you talk to. Please report back.

Good luck.

Ayr.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:56 PM

Default Fishing

I was just out there a few weeks ago as well and as Ayr said use silver spoons aka willow leafs and you do have to get it way down there cause i know i had one fish hit mine and it broke my 30lb power pro line which i thought was almost un-heard of and i had a small rapala rainbow imitation on. But i had the best of luck right off the back off the boat when we docked. Caught 5 rainbows over 20 inches on a small frog pattern spoon(green with black dots). Also had lots of luck with the red and white as well as a five of diamonds(black diamonds). As for fly fishing i was using mainly blue winged olives and mosquitos and had tons of risers but only a few hits.

AKA MAVERICK
Old 07-04-2007, 06:12 PM

It's funny you mention the brake offs Lethal. I was also broken off twice, once on a rainbow of around 6-8lbs on or around the tenth arial leap and another time on a hit that felt like mid-sized car, I think that there are some gooders in there......

Ayr.