Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-29-2007, 01:10 PM

Default Fishing Red Deer area

Moving to the Red Deer area shortly.. Im huge fisherman both summer and winter. Usually target pickeral, perch(fav ice fishing target), rainbows and musky. Hoping there is some of this in the area? was considerring getting rid of a lot of equipment before i move,, but if these species are available,, no sense getting rid of it.... would take years and several thousand dollars too aquire it again. any insight on whats available??
Old 08-29-2007, 01:36 PM

We have lots of Perch, "most" lakes throughout the province have perch, and there quite a few in the Red Deer area that are good Open Water and Ice fisheries.

Trout....You will be in the heart of some great trout fishing. Streams, Lakes and reservoirs throughout the province have selections of Rainbows, Brookies, Browns, Cutthroats, and Bull Trout (which by the way is a 100% catch and release fishery here in AB).

Pickerel....Being from Ontario, I am not sure if you are referring to Walleye, or actual Pickerel? If you are talking Walleye....well we have plenty of those!! You'll find in Alberta the Walleye has a local nickname of "Pickerel"....so depending on where your from we may be talking 2 diff. Species....But there are no "pickerel" here (by scientific name).

Musky, none here in AB....But plenty of PIKE!!!!! Jack's, Slough Sharks, Hammer Handles....Your Musky gear will work for these guy's....

The only equipment that may be less useful here, would be the equipment for the great lakes....unless you plan on ever heading to the coast or some of our larger lakes (like Cold Lake) for Lake Trout. As well as Bass equipment...with exception to a few lakes being stocked many years ago, and perhaps the Odd bass still lurking....we have no Bass in AB. But...that being said...Lots of Bass lures work well for Walleye and Pike....Especially the top water lures for Spring Pike....

Hope this helps.....
Old 08-29-2007, 01:54 PM

Thanks,, just the info I was looking for... and yes I did mean walleye! Looks like someone is just going too get a good deal on the musky trolling lures,, and the great lakes trolling gear...

and friends dont let friends fish for bass!
Old 08-29-2007, 02:30 PM

^Dont get rid of your trolling gear!!!There are some deep lakes in central and northern Alberta that have big Lake trout!!!Also in and around the rockies...If you are talking downriggers and stuff hold on to them!!!
Old 08-29-2007, 02:32 PM
-NDN-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta-bound View Post
Thanks,, just the info I was looking for... and yes I did mean walleye! Looks like someone is just going too get a good deal on the musky trolling lures,, and the great lakes trolling gear...

and friends dont let friends fish for bass!

what kind of deal are we looking at on the musky lures???
Old 08-29-2007, 04:08 PM

They are a local musky bait.. Meant for trolling on lake st.clair. They are between 9 and 14 inches long.. a buddy wants too buy them all. Ive got about 120 of them... too buy them they are $12-15 a piece new,, selling him the whole lot for $600.