Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-01-2007, 08:22 AM

Default Prairie Creek

Took a trip back to Prairie Creek on Friday. Go there about 9:30 or so. Left at 3:30. Amazing how you can spend all day on a small stream and cover so little ground.

Started off with a stimulater and caught this little guy for the first of the day about 10 minutes after I started (estimate 10").

Then things really slowed down for about 2 hours with only a few lookers and no takes. I switched to hopper imitation..nothing. Went to a EHC and got a couple more so that was nice. Missed a couple as well.

Things slowed down again and went back to a stimulator and caught this one. Nice to see one fill the net. Not HUGE like some of the ones but sure put up a great fight (estimate 14").

During one of the slow times I was just hanging out at a corner pool contemplating what to do and noticed 2 little rocky mountain whitefish a couple feet away. It was super cool to watch these guys flip over wood and rocks looking for food. They are not shy at all and don't spook easily. I tried a nymph for a while (basically dropping it on their head), but they weren't too interested.

In another pool there was a rocky swimming around my feed while I was casting. I eneded up missing my hook up on a brown trout cuz I was facinated watching this little rocky root around...lol..

An awesome day on Prairie Creek. It was so cool to learn new areas that hold trout. This was only the second time out on a creek. Last time out I just fished in the deep corner pools. This time I waded up the stream and cast to the banks, trees, and deeper sections. I hooked into some browns in places I would not have thought held fish. Very good learning experience for this guy.

At the end of the day I landed 8 browns and missed my hook up on 4 or 5.

I can't believe I waited so long to try out streams and spent so much time on lakes this year. Streams are AWESOME!!!

See ya
Ace

p.s. BigRackLover...can you shoot me a PM. I'd like to pick your brain about Prairie Creek if you're willing to help a guy out.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:57 PM
-NDN-

nice report. Prairies best fishing is on the "Miracle Mile". used to fish with a guy who had permission on land right along it. Great photos