Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-13-2013, 12:38 PM

Default Bizarre....

Quote:
Mountie who obsessed about cheating wife says he is not criminally responsible for killing her in Edmonton

Former Mountie Tirth Sehmbi was obsessed that his wife was cheating on him and he had cameras hidden throughout the south Edmonton home where he shot her to death.

Sehmbi also hired a private eye to watch their home and had an autistic neighbour — whom he asked to help him discover who she was having an affair with — come over and hide in a closet to listen for anything unusual.

The only question is whether or not he was sufficiently mentally ill at the time of the July 10, 2010, slaying of Rajpinder Sehmbi to be found not criminally responsible.

Sehmbi, 39, has pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder and a hearing in the case, scheduled for seven days, began in Court of Queen’s Bench on Wednesday.

Crown prosecutor Carrie Sharpe conceded in court that Sehmbi was “suffering from a disease of the mind” at the time of the killing, but she is contesting that it was at the level needed to absolve him of criminal responsibility.

Court heard Sehmbi has been assessed by five mental health doctors with three concluding he should be found not criminally responsible and two saying he should be.

Psychologist Dr. Robert Faltin testified Wednesday that he believes Sehmbi should be found not criminally responsible as he was suffering from a delusional disorder at the time of the killing.

Faltin told the hearing some doctors believe Sehmbi has paranoid schizophrenia and said the former Stony Plain RCMP dog handler might have both diagnoses, as well as some other disorder that has not yet been determined.

“What happened that night is really somewhat puzzling to me,” said Faltin, adding that Sehmbi “gradually became obsessed with the idea that someone was having sex with his wife” and was “unable to shake” those convictions.

“I think what happened was something in the area of irresistible impulse,” he said.

According to agreed facts, Sehmbi used his RCMP service pistol to shoot his 29-year-old wife 15 times — including a shot to the forehead from very close range — while she was on a chair in the family room, partially seated on an RCMP uniform and pants. The gun was on the armrest.

The couple’s sons, now 10 and 11, were with his parents.

Surveillance cameras and voice recorders were concealed throughout the house and Sehmbi told the security company owner that his wife was cheating on him and the purpose of the cameras was to catch her.

Sehmbi also asked neighbours about using a holiday trailer parked on the street to do surveillance on his wife and hired a private investigator to watch the home.

On the night before the 4:20 a.m. killing, Sehmbi asked a 25-year-old autistic neighbour to help him and he hid him in a basement closet and told him to call him if he heard anything unusual. About three hours before the shooting, Rajpinder discovered the man and he was told to get out.

Afterwards, Sehmbi demanded that Rajpinder show him where her nonexistent lover came and left the home.

A few minutes before the shooting, Sehmbi called his parents and one of their sons said he could hear his mom screaming in the background. A few minutes after that, neighbours reported hearing screaming and gunshots.

Sehmbi told his sons on the phone that he had shot their mom and then later told his supervisor what he had done and he was arrested after meeting him in Spruce Grove.

It also says in the agreed facts that Sehmbi was ordered to see a psychologist four months before the slaying because his work was suffering.

The psychologist deemed him fit for duty.
This is the oddest murder I've heard of in a while. When I read the part about him hiding an autistic guy in the closet to spy on his wife, I almost laughed.

Perhaps the craziest thing is that he was a cop and he was considered sane
Old 06-13-2013, 12:47 PM

Crazy times.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:56 PM

Killing your wife for cheating may be legal in the culture where that guy is from or brought up in, but it sure as shootin' ain't legal in THIS country.
Cat
Old 06-13-2013, 01:17 PM
Banned

In before the racism!

oops, wait, no
Old 06-13-2013, 02:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
In before the racism!

oops, wait, no
There are very few people that could see any racism in any of the above comments. Good eye. Mind you I still don't see it...care to point it out for those of us that don't have the keen racist eyes that you do?
Old 06-13-2013, 02:53 PM

I have to agree that the fact he was preciously assessed and deemed fit for duty is a bit of a head scratcher... Judging by the story this guy had issues...
Old 06-13-2013, 03:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
There are very few people that could see any racism in any of the above comments. Good eye. Mind you I still don't see it...care to point it out for those of us that don't have the keen racist eyes that you do?
How does one make a blind man see the light?

How does one make an ignorant man knowing?

How does one blame the actions of a lunatic on race and culture?

Take a knee and think it threw.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
How does one make a blind man see the light?

How does one make an ignorant man knowing?

How does one blame the actions of a lunatic on race and culture?

Take a knee and think it threw.
Now you are trying to conflate race and culture?

Calling me ignorant is pretty rich when you struggle with knowing the difference between race and culture. (or through and threw for that matter)

I know it's a knee-jerk reaction for you to shout racist, but take a little time and think things THROUGH before you start with the "hunters/Albertans are a bunch of bigots" routine.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:25 PM
Banned

Excellent banter Grasshopper, but you fail to acknowledge what was written and instead flee to semantics.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Killing your wife for cheating may be legal in the culture where that guy is from or brought up in, but it sure as shootin' ain't legal in THIS country.
Cat
Yeah,it`s happened here in B.C. quite a few time,Fathers and sons killing the daughter for dishonoring them,wife/girlfriends cheating.Pretty messed up code of conduct I`d say.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:46 PM
Banned

My favorite part of this thread is the part where because a crazy guy has an east indian name, killing his wife is automatically an "honour killing" and also the part about how killing his wife is legal in his culture, you know, because he is east indian.

smh
Old 06-13-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Cat
Could be wrong, but I think in Texas, they used to convict of manslaughter instead of murder in these sort of cases. Maybe they were a bit more lenient on sentencing up here as well.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Cat
Dude, they probably covered that part in one of his courses at the RCMP. (or maybe he was sick the day they taught the canadian criminal code... )
Old 06-13-2013, 08:46 PM
Banned

Don't they have a way to screen the RCMP for terrorists???!!?!?
Old 06-13-2013, 08:47 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
Dude, they probably covered that part in one of his courses at the RCMP. (or maybe he was sick the day they taught the canadian criminal code... )
^^^????
he obviously has a problem....hang him, so we don't don't have to worry about the problem, or pay for it... ......

Last edited by hal53; 06-13-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
In before the racism!

oops, wait, no
No racism in cats post.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
No racism in cats post.
I can sympathize with your desire to defend your buddy, but it does not make your opinion, fact.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I can sympathize with your desire to defend your buddy, but it does not make your opinion, fact.

Another one of your comments that make you think you are so much smarter than everyone else. Your opinion is not fact!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhunter View Post
Another one of your comments that make you think you are so much smarter than everyone else. Your opinion is not fact!

Wait, were you going to actually comment on the post in question or is this just more feeble banter?

Feel free to side step the specifics and discuss the semantics as you wish.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Well he's not my buddy and I did not read any racism by what he said, maybe you are trying to read too deep. But hey everything can be left to interpretation, guess in your mind this had racist undertones .
Old 06-13-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
I have no allegiance to anyone on this board, believe me.. I call things like I see them. Upon further reflection though, I understand why you said it was racist. While it's possible that this guys cultural background set him up to react this way to perceived cheating (whether real or imagined), there isn't any indication from our limited knowledge that this was caused by anything more than mental illness. Maybe though he was being a culturalist (?) as opposed to a racist??

If it walks like a peacock and talks like a peacock, I guess sometimes it could just be a gay turkey.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Cat
Ok. Lets get to the point.

Which country is he from? Do you know? Will you do a quick search or are you assuming?

Is he not a Canadian because he has a non-European name? Do you know where he was born? Has he lived in Canada for 50years?

Which culture is this fellow from? You assume he follows islam, no? You must know that not everyone with an islamic sounding name is a religious person or follows that religion. If my name was Calvin, does that make me protestant?

You must realize of course this guy could be any number of religions or none at all.

Yet, of course, brown name, brown man, brown religion, honour killing.

When a white guy in Alberta kills his wife what do we call it?

Murder.

It saddens me that some people's prejudice is so ingrained that they can not see it at all.

Maybe we should have a discussion about male Caucasian serial killers and how it is a characteristic of our culture? Absurd isn't it?

The guy was crazy. He wasn't just doing what brown-islamic people normally do in their culture.

JHC you guys should be ashamed of yourselves.

I'm embarrassed for you.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:

Wait, were you going to actually comment on the post in question or is this just more feeble banter?

Feel free to side step the specifics and discuss the semantics as you wish.
I thought my comment was quite clear. You said Cat's comments were racist. Not defending him in any way but they were not as many others have commented. Soooo....just because your opinion was that they were racist, doesn't make it fact.

Man, your such an intelligent guy I didn't think I would have to spell it out to you. Don't be sad.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
I have no allegiance to anyone on this board, believe me.. I call things like I see them. Upon further reflection though, I understand why you said it was racist. While it's possible that this guys cultural background set him up to react this way to perceived cheating (whether real or imagined), there isn't any indication from our limited knowledge that this was caused by anything more than mental illness. Maybe though he was being a culturalist (?) as opposed to a racist??

If it walks like a peacock and talks like a peacock, I guess sometimes it could just be a gay turkey.
You're ***** footing around calling a spade a spade.

You can't be a culturist if you have no idea what this guys culture was.

Culture doesnt enter into the equation unless you are prejudiced from the outset.

The guy was a loon. Period.

Fact is, if we change the names in the story to Mary and Peter Smith, culture would never enter into the discussion.

Someone hears a pinder or a deep and they react by flapping their redneck gums.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:33 PM

Name sounds more east indian/hindu to me.....not middle eastern/Persian/packistani/ Islamic.

Just sayin......
Old 06-13-2013, 10:39 PM
Banned

could be muslim or Hindu origin

but either way.

brown name = honour killing, cause that's what they do

Guy was clearly nuts.

camera's?
PI?
Autistic guy hiding in the closet?
Old 06-13-2013, 10:42 PM

Just sayin .... Agree with mike.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
Name sounds more east indian/hindu to me.....not middle eastern/Persian/packistani/ Islamic.

Just sayin......
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
Just sayin .... Agree with mike.
so if the name is of hindu origin,

does that make it an honour killing or not? that's SOP for them right?
Old 06-13-2013, 10:45 PM
Banned

I agree with CC and Pat

just sayin
Old 06-13-2013, 10:47 PM

Rajpinder Sehmbi, another victim of "honour killing"?

Use of ‘honour killing’ disputed
Kenyon Wallace, National Post; With Files From Canwest News Service · Tuesday, Jul. 13, 2010

The producer of a Punjabi radio show hosted by Tirth Sehmbi, the Edmonton RCMP constable charged with second-degree murder in the death of his wife, said yesterday the woman was not the victim of an honour killing, but rather, a “family dispute.”

Sukhdev Dhillon, operator of Edmonton’s Radio Punjab, where Const. Sehmbi recently hosted a weekly call-in show to help newcomers adjust to life in Canada, says the city’s Sikh community is “shocked” that someone of “such high stature” is alleged to have murdered his wife.

“Was this an honour killing? I don’t think that’s the case,” Mr. Dhillon said. “He seemed like a very nice gentleman…. It’s too early to judge.”
Const. Sehmbi, 36, was arrested early on Saturday after the body of his wife of nine years, Rajpinder Sehmbi, was found in the couple’s home, which they share with their two elementary school-aged boys in the upscale Jackson Heights neighbourhood. Neighbours reported hearing screaming followed by multiple gunshots in rapid succession coming from the house at about 4:20 a.m. on Saturday.

According to Mr. Dhillon, who yesterday spoke with some of Ms. Sehmbi’s family members in London, England, the 29-year-old mother had lived in an abusive relationship for many years.
“She was physically and mentally tortured by [Mr. Sehmbi's] family,” he alleged. The marriage was arranged and shaky from the start, said a relative of Const. Sehmbi.

The couple had separated for a year and then got back together. They moved out of his parents’ house to see if that would help, but it only isolated them more, said the relative.

“Even his job didn’t help him,” she said. “We are all in shock. They both needed counselling. The frustration for so long kept building.”
Neighbour Kendra Hunt told the Edmonton Journal she didn’t talk to Const. Sehmbi often, but said she and her 10-year-old son saw him and his wife fighting in the past.

“He argued with his wife quite a bit. She would be throwing stuff and yelling at him so they kind of had a heated relationship,” Ms. Hunt said.
Surinder Singh Hoonjan, president of Gurdwara Millwoods, the Sikh temple where Const. Semhbi’s worshipped, echoed Mr. Dhillon’s sentiments that it was not an honour killing.

“We can’t believe this happened,” he said, adding the family has not attended recently because Const. Sembhi’s father was diagnosed with cancer.
Phyllis Chesler, an emerita professor of psychology and women’s studies at City University of New York, warns against labelling a murder an “honour killing” before the circumstances of the relationship are known. She says victims of honour killings are typically girls of an average age of 17 or married women in their mid-thirties.

“Women from these kinds of families are not ever allowed to expose the abuse, go to the secular authorities for help with the abuse or return to their families of origin because of the abuse,” Ms. Chesler said.
Police say they have not ruled out the possibility that Ms. Sehmbi was the victim of an honour killing.

“Our goal is to uncover the truth and certainly if the investigation takes us in that direction then we’ll consider it,” said Clif Purvis, a spokesman for the RCMP’s Alberta Serious Incident Response Team, which is leading the investigation.

An eight-year member of the RCMP, Const. Sehmbi, was most recently stationed at the Stony Plain detachment, about 40 kilometres east of Edmonton, as a canine handler in the traffic services division. He made a brief court appearance yesterday and has been suspended with pay pending an internal review of the option of suspension without pay.
“The RCMP is shocked and deeply saddened by this event,” said RCMP spokesman Sergeant Tim Taniguchi. “We again extend our sincere condolences to the victim’s family.”

kewallace@nationalpost.com———

http://www.cireport.ca/2010/07/rajpi...r-killing.html