Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-21-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem338win View Post
Oh no, the clerk gave you an honest answer? And thats facepalm worthy?
What is facepalm worthy is that someone works in a gun store and has no idea what one of the oldest most common round is. That she has to be taught what guns are what( from mostly teens that don't know anything). While the answer she gave me was honest you don't go into a future shop looking for a computer and when you ask them how much ram is in a computer and they say. What is ram? Same thing. You should know about the products you sell.

But that is just my opinion which in the big picture is really nothing.

Do not overcome fear, but become over fear.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:46 PM

Are you trying to communicate?[/QUOTE]

The funniest thing I read today! LMFAO!
Old 10-21-2012, 07:08 PM

I was in an gun shop (well known shop I might add) years ago wanting to see if they had any 100 gr. Nosler Partions in .243. Had been loading these in my old Rem. model 788 and asked the clerk if they had any in stock. He told me; "no, Nosler does not make 100 gr. partitions in .243." He then went on to tell me that he had some 100 gr partions in 6mm.................but not .243. OKAY THEN...........I asked him to hand me the box and I pointed out to him that 6mm is the same as .243. You should have seen the puzzled look on his face.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmil View Post
I was in an gun shop (well known shop I might add) years ago wanting to see if they had any 100 gr. Nosler Partions in .243. Had been loading these in my old Rem. model 788 and asked the clerk if they had any in stock. He told me; "no, Nosler does not make 100 gr. partitions in .243." He then went on to tell me that he had some 100 gr partions in 6mm.................but not .243. OKAY THEN...........I asked him to hand me the box and I pointed out to him that 6mm is the same as .243. You should have seen the puzzled look on his face.
did you load the .244 in your .243 brass???

Last edited by hal53; 10-21-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:01 PM

See below...
And spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:06 PM

"The 20 gauge does not carry as far as the 12 gauge, the 20 is only good for chickens." That one got a laugh out of me.
Cat
Old 10-22-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
"The 20 gauge does not carry as far as the 12 gauge, the 20 is only good for chickens." That one got a laugh out of me.
Cat
You mean this isnt true? Please explain.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
Steady Cat.....Steady!!!!!!

I have a feelin' shotgunnin' schoolin' is about to commence!!!!!!

Old 10-22-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
1,200 FPS, 1,300FPS , doesn't matter, any gauge can do that .
The biggest difference is the amout of payload.

A 1oz load of 4's doing 1,500 FPS out of a 20 or a 12 will go the same distance.
Cat
Old 10-22-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
1,200 FPS, 1,300FPS , doesn't matter, any gauge can do that .
The biggest difference is the amout of payload.

A 1oz load of 4's doing 1,500 FPS out of a 20 or a 12 will go the same distance.
Cat

Sorry Cat, couldnt resist pulling your leg. I was just joshin ya.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Sorry Cat, couldnt resist pulling your leg. I was just joshin ya.
No sweat,one can never tell however, it's something you here quite a lot!
Of course a maximum dram load of 4's going 1,275 out of a 12 is going to go further than a 2 1/2 dram load of 7 1/2's going 1,145 out of a 20!!
Cat
Old 10-22-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
No sweat,one can never tell however, it's something you here quite a lot!
And the people spreading that nonsense might be surprised at how effective a 20gauge or 28gauge can be on upland birds. A properly placed pattern of shot out of a sub gauge will kill better than marginal shooting with a heavier payload of shot from a 12 gauge.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And the people spreading that nonsense might be surprised at how effective a 20gauge or 28gauge can be on upland birds. A properly placed pattern of shot out of a sub gauge will kill better than marginal shooting with a heavier payload of shot from a 12 gauge.
Agreed.

Just bought a new 20 and love it. Also, just had a recoil pad installed on an older Ithica 20 gauge for my wife. Deadly little gun that one.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:07 PM

A buddy of mine was telling me last nite about his son, he went into the newest place we got here in Hfx-Dart and asked for a bottle of Tru-Oil to do up his stock.
"OH...you're gonna blue it are ya" ??

"No, I want to refinish the stock"

"Well, that's for bluing the guns"

"I know they have a bluing kit, but that's NOT what I want"..."I just want the single bottle of Oil. ..nevermind....Look, I'll even take it in the stock refinishing kit with the three bottles. One's for cleaning/degreasing, one's for sheen and conditioner and the last one is the TRU-OIL" !!

"All this stuff is for re-bluing guns" !!

"Never mind bud....I'll go someplace where people have half a clue"

Shawn said there was NO WAY IN HE** he could convince this guy that he wanted to refinish the stock only!!
Makes ya wonder wha ?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post

"went with wife to pick up her first rifel for bday STOP was looking for a 2506 STOP nuthen fancy just good starter gun STOP guy proceded to tell me they had no guns of this caliber in stock STOP so figured id look at a new 12 guage STOP then of course they have none in stock either STOP me adn wife are looking behind him at more then a few of each caliber gun STOP finally walked out lethbrige wss
Damn. I got to get my a new keyboard with a stop key!
Old 10-22-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKlu View Post
Damn. I got to get my a new keyboard with a stop key!
I'm still trying to find the "Any" key
Old 10-23-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
Think of it as a stream of consciousness telegram.

"went with wife to pick up her first rifel for bday STOP was looking for a 2506 STOP nuthen fancy just good starter gun STOP guy proceded to tell me they had no guns of this caliber in stock STOP so figured id look at a new 12 guage STOP then of course they have none in stock either STOP me adn wife are looking behind him at more then a few of each caliber gun STOP finally walked out lethbrige wss
Holy Crap, I think this might be my "post of the year" award winner. You gotta love how people type like they think. "It makes sense to them, it must make sense to everyone else."
Old 10-26-2012, 08:38 PM

I went in to a WSS, looking for a 12Ga. defender... Asked the guy what he would recomend. He said double barrel is the only way to go. I like the idea of a double barrel, and looked at a few short Stoegers. I also looked at some pumps, but I really like the doubles. Then a switch flipped. He started saying things like how through his own personal experience, the double is better, because you could put two in them, and with a pump, first one is self defence, and second one is murder... He thought I wanted a home defence gun... fair enough... I told him its for the bush. He then started trying to sell me on a handgun because it will stay nicely under your pillow, or on your nightstand...

He just progressed to the point of (I think) he was giving me tips on what to do if a drug deal went bad, and to always have the hole dug before hand... Nice guy to start, then just went off the handle.

After that, I went to a place in Grande Prairie, and asket to look at a Stoeger 12Ga. double barrell in 20'' He said they don't make those, and that IGA did, and pretty much called me a liar when I protested, and said if I went back, to WSS, and looked at the barrell stamp on the Stoeger, it would actually say IGA. So I did, and took a picture of the Stoeger stamp, with the mob salesman still ranting about where to hide bodies, and went back. He said that was not the gun I was asking for... 12Ga double bbl Stoeger 20''....... Not alot of room for error there.

I am not sure if there is a relation between Stoeger, and IGA, and haven't take the time to find out, but he just said there was nothing ever made like that.

Never went back to that store. It's a shame, because they had some nice pelican cases for the Iphone with a headphone jack coming out, and I haven't seen them anywhere else.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:32 PM

This is all I got out of the post :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronk View Post

Then a switch flipped. He started saying things like...

the double is better, because you could put two in them, and with a pump, first one is self defence, and second one is murder...

He thought I wanted a home defence gun...

fair enough...

I told him its for the bush.

He then started trying to sell me on a handgun because it will stay nicely under your pillow, or on your nightstand...

the mob salesman still ranting about where to hide bodies,
Might know the guy, he was pretty high up on himself and said we should buy a bunch of ammo because there was gonna be a shortage, told him we'd go to Bashaw and he flipped out saying we would spend a bunch of gas driving there, I live 20 minutes away...
Old 10-28-2012, 05:33 PM

The scarey part of this thread is actually encountering these uneducated idiots in the field. And I didn't think I was scared of anything.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:43 AM

I was at cabelas on Sunday. Was ringing up my .243 when the gentle on side me asks what I'm gonna shoot with it. I tell him deer and maybe an elk when I find a premium bullet that shoots good. Me and this guy have a little chat when the counter guy comes in and says the absolute minimum that you.can kill an elk with is 30-06 with 180 partition bullet. I laughed but the guy I was talking with went from wanting a 270 to a 30-06, because apparently a 270 can't kill an elk. Then they both kind of turned me saying that i was making a bad decision and a 243 is only marginal for coyotes at best.

Thankfully, the guy I was dealing with kind of noticed what was going on and pulled me down to the end, and apologized saying that some of the guys working here don't even hunt lol.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:16 AM

I went this past spring to find a suitable rifle for my 12 year old as he had passed his hunter safety and wanted to go after a deer with me in the fall. Finally settled on a youth model axis in 7-08 as it fit him well. Didn't buy the package as I wanted a better scope. Funny part was the rack model was .243 so the sales guy had to go get a 7 out of the back. He writes me up and I am perusing scopes as iwander back down the counter to him I notice the box says .243 point it out to him he shrugs and says you sure that's not what you want? I explain yes that I have my reasons for going 7-08 not the least of which is I already have a .243. Believe it or not he tries again with the are you sure this would be better. I really think he just didn't want to have to write up another slip lol
Old 12-13-2012, 05:07 PM

Last weekend I was loitering near the gun counter of one of the large outdoor/hunting stores in Edmonton when a couple was looking for a 243 bolt action for their teenage son. They had a Savage Axis and a TC Venture on the counter.....the sales guy was making his spiel.

I learned so much in what I overheard.....

I didn't know the TC Venture has a cheap cast receiver......pure BS.

Also didn't know the Axis has a way better trigger than the TC Venture....'cuz the Venture isn't adjustable....all BS of course.

and I also didn't know the Axis has a cheap powder coated finish.....more BS.

If I learn anymore ground breaking information on these two rifles I'll be sure to fill you all in....:-)

You'd think the sales guys could at least boot up a computer once in a while and research what they are selling.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:56 PM

Default Not a gun counter, but...

So constable, how is that glock 40 doin' for you?
-It's a 22.
Yes, i know-glock 22. It's chambered in 40.
-No, it's a 22. It says right on it.

I couldn't allow that to go into detail!
Old 12-13-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDL View Post
I was told at WSS on time by their self proclaimed "military expert" that I would never again be able to get any 7.62x39 ammo in Canada because the Americans did'nt want us to have it.
Actually that is probably true. The americans did not want us to have it and made import difficult. Most bulk 7.62X39 that WSS gets is from a non american supplier and often was marked 7.62X42 or 43. Most of the soft point bullet hunting cartridges are also from a non american supplier.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:46 PM

Was at a gun counter today and a fellow asked the guy behind the counter what he could get for a used mare's leg.

The guy behind the counter says....probably full retail because they are hard to find maybe a bit more....

The guy said how much more? The gun counter guy says maybe 10% or so....

The fellow says wow so I could get like $1000 for it then. The gun counter guys says is it a Henry or a Rossi? ......it's a Henry......those retail for around $600.....the other guys says, yah so $1000 isn't too far off the mark....

LC
Old 02-21-2013, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Was at a gun counter today and a fellow asked the guy behind the counter what he could get for a used mare's leg.

The guy behind the counter says....probably full retail because they are hard to find maybe a bit more....

The guy said how much more? The gun counter guy says maybe 10% or so....

The fellow says wow so I could get like $1000 for it then. The gun counter guys says is it a Henry or a Rossi? ......it's a Henry......those retail for around $600.....the other guys says, yah so $1000 isn't too far off the mark....

LC
OMG? on "that" side of the counter? I don't believe it
Old 02-21-2013, 10:11 PM

one time at bass pro I was looking for some sling points for my 12 gauge and couldn't find them so I went to the gun counter and asked the two guys behind the desk if they had any products to mount a sling to my 12 gauge.
What I got was a snicker from one of the employees and he says "sorry we don't sell tactical accessories here"
Wtf

I turned to leave and practically right behind me I find them.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:59 PM

About 12 years ago I walked into a little gun shop in Lexington Kentucky. Wasn't anybody around. After about 5 minutes some old guy comes out of the back and asks me if he could help me with sump thin. I said what is that rifle leaning up in the corner he replied "boy thated be a full auto two two three" I said can I have a look at it and he handed me the gun. I held it up to my shoulder looking at the wall through the scope. He looked at me and said" boy, ya ain't gonna see ***k all looking at the wall, point at that guys head across the street" I couldn't believe it handed him the gun back said thanks and walked out.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:23 AM

I was in the local shop when a fellow walked in, walks up to the gun counter, buts in fromt of a couple of regulars buying thier son his first rifle and says I need a gun for home defense! Without missing a beat, the owner of the shop says " Well, personally I've never been afraid of a house, but a chainsaw would prob do you just fine. They are mighty slow moving, so you might get away with just lightin it on fire."

Made my freaking day.