Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-03-2021, 10:29 PM
Gone Hunting

Ford.

Critters get so used to seeing broke down Fords they pay no attention to them, even if they are moving.

But seriously. The brand of clothing you chose is far less important then things you do while hunting.

Camo does nothing if you stink like cologne factory and sound like a stampeding herd of cows.

If long lasting is what you are looking for brand clothing is usually better then cheap stuff.

If concealment is what you are after pay more attention to material used then brand name.
Nylon is not a good choice. Fleece is better, wool is best.

Wear it and sit still or move slowly and stop often.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-04-2021, 08:38 PM

2019 season seemed like everyone and their dog was wearing Sitka. This past season (2020) most people were wearing Kuiu. FIL has ASAT that has lasted him for decades and works well. Buddies love First Lite as they get a pro deal through them. I use Kings camo as their pattern works extremely well in my neck of the woods. Personally I think it's a gimmick as a lot of 70-80 year old hunters I see are still rocking Filson wool pants and jackets, or Carhart type jackets. Main reason I got camo was just so I could differentiate between every day clothes and hunting clothes so I don't get my good clothes all nasty. I don't wear jeans as most of the time I'm hunting in 2' of snow and wet cotton as we know doesn't do well.
Old 02-05-2021, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Lately I’ve been mostly buying solids
Add a camo jacket if you like
But if I buy solids I can wear it more often
X2

I moved from Sitka to FirstLite and from camo to solid colors. FirstLite is better customer service and more affordable.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:26 AM

Check out skre.ca
US based but have distribution out of Lloydminister
“My rifle … this is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my friend … I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle without me is useless … I will learn its strengths and weaknesses, its parts, its accessories, its sights, and its barrel. I will keep it clean and ready, we will become part of each other … before God, I swear this creed.” General William H. Rupertus
Old 03-07-2021, 09:18 AM

The best camo Mother Nature provided the wind covers your scent and muffles sound.

Check you gear with a black light if it glows wear something else. The old man wears a red and black checkered wool coat been successful for over 50 years running.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
Carhart.

Save your money
X2
Old 03-07-2021, 11:24 AM

Marketing is the devil!
Old 03-07-2021, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citytaz View Post
Looking for comments on the best brand / product for big game hunting for all seasons. Was told Sitka is worth the money.
The best camo pattern is the one you have the least faith in.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
Carhart.

Save your money
Yeah, but you need to work them in for a couple years to make them less noisy. New Carharts, particularly the black ones and the tan ones which seem to be made out of a tougher fabric than the others, are crazy noisy in the bush.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjr View Post
Old school Red +Black checkered wool jacket + blue jeans .
yup
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:52 PM

i go for bison in the winters here. there is an element of riding a snow machine to their general area and then - if fortunate - walking/stalking into their position.

wool pants tend to not make noise like the synthetics (and cottons) do. none of it is camo. bison still get harvested.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:24 AM

Best camo/clothing brand for hunting?

The one that allows you to comfortably stay still when you need to, and remains quiet when moving. Doesn’t snag on branches and scrape noisily through brush. Keeps you dry when you need, and wicks moisture while sweating. Also doesn’t smell to high heck when it has been sweated in.

Brand and color/pattern have little to do with success. Smart layering and quality fabrics have much more bearing.

I have used Sitka and Kuiu, but find myself moving toward Icebreaker, Arcteryx, OR, and (gulp) Eddie Bauer. Not a lot of camo offerings from those companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjr View Post
Old school Red +Black checkered wool jacket + blue jeans .
This is what I run when it’s warmer out, if it’s cold then I use my camo from Walmart. The animals seem to be dropping just fine. I stay warm too. Probably not the greatest gear out there but it works for me.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Yeah, but you need to work them in for a couple years to make them less noisy. New Carharts, particularly the black ones and the tan ones which seem to be made out of a tougher fabric than the others, are crazy noisy in the bush.
You can get your hands on the weathered/pre-worn ones. They're great. Especially the lined ones. Very soft, not stiff at all.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:03 PM

Default All wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Main reason I got camo was just so I could differentiate between every day clothes and hunting clothes so I don't get my good clothes all nasty.
I did the opposite. Got camo so my hunting clothes didn't get all nasty.

All funny aside I use Under armour as it's more reasonably priced than the FL, Sitka, kuiu. Don't need camo long undies. For my cold weather tree stand I use silent predator. Too warm most days
Old 03-08-2021, 11:39 PM

By the time you have stepped over your 200th downed thigh high Aspen that day, the value of a thin stretchy pant like the first lite corrogate guide pant put me at ease with how much I spent. The wick hoodie though useless for mosquito protection is amazing as an under layer for moving moisture to where it can evaporate. I feel super stealthy with it too, so there is that... I refer to it as my "hunting costume".
Old 03-09-2021, 08:04 AM

Spent $425 on Kuiu jacket and pants during one of their 3-4 sales per year. Saved a couple of hun. One of the best hunting investments I've made. If there are more comfortable, windproof, warm, and moisture repellant solutions for that price I'm unaware. Dont like their camo patterns? Buy in solid colors instead. Most articles they make are available in solids. Easy website. Easy sizing. Sign up for notifications and get sales info in advance.

When it gets cold i put merino wool long undies and a puffy midlayer jacket underneath. When it's really cold I go to Carhart lined bibs in dk brown. Toasty but heavy buggers if you're walking any distance.

Blue jeans are about the most useless thing a hunter can wear. Great if you're just jumping out of a truck to shoot, don't require warmth, a windbreak, stretch, waterproofing, and only stray 50 yds from vehicle.

Cracks me up that some guys will slam good outdoor clothing then point to their 6 1000yd capable rifles, 20 power scopes, $500 knife, wind indicators, scent reduction, etc and state "I really needed those tho."
Old 03-09-2021, 09:18 AM

I wore my Sitka outer layers in the -47 while checking traps on the snow machine, dare I say I never got cold or felt the wind cutting through.

LC
Old 03-09-2021, 11:18 AM

I think ASAT got it right.
It appears to me that camo that has bold markings with very high contrast against a neutral background works best.
Given that ungulates don't see in colour perhaps this is why the old red or green mackinaw with black checks was/is effective.
After watching people moving at a distance it seems to me that camos with a finer pattern appears at a distance as a homogeneous coloured blob whereas the bold pattern breaks up the silhouette better.

Thinking of concealment rather than durability - no comments on whether or not their stuff is durable - I buy the cheapest lightest camo outer layer that I can, then layer up with good quality "normal" gear underneath.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:46 AM

As far as camo pattern goes it’s immaterial for big game. Really the only consideration on camo is the material it’s made of (waterproof, quiet, wind resistant etc...) they won’t see you or not see you based on pattern (outside of snow camo in snow) it’s all about being quiet and comfortable and the right outfit depends on conditions
Old 03-09-2021, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Spent $425 on Kuiu jacket and pants during one of their 3-4 sales per year. Saved a couple of hun. One of the best hunting investments I've made. If there are more comfortable, windproof, warm, and moisture repellant solutions for that price I'm unaware. Dont like their camo patterns? Buy in solid colors instead. Most articles they make are available in solids. Easy website. Easy sizing. Sign up for notifications and get sales info in advance.

When it gets cold i put merino wool long undies and a puffy midlayer jacket underneath. When it's really cold I go to Carhart lined bibs in dk brown. Toasty but heavy buggers if you're walking any distance.

Blue jeans are about the most useless thing a hunter can wear. Great if you're just jumping out of a truck to shoot, don't require warmth, a windbreak, stretch, waterproofing, and only stray 50 yds from vehicle.

Cracks me up that some guys will slam good outdoor clothing then point to their 6 1000yd capable rifles, 20 power scopes, $500 knife, wind indicators, scent reduction, etc and state "I really needed those tho."
I would contend that when maintaining a high level of physical activity in cold temps, heavy cotton or denim is pretty tough to beat as an outer layer. While I don't actively promote hunting in jeans, I use heavy cotton pretty much exclusively as an outer shell for winter trekking.

It cuts wind effectively but still breaths extremely well, when you're on snowshoes, pulling your camp on a toboggan for most of the day, it gets obvious really fast how much better it breaths than any synthetic windproof shell. Layered properly I've spend several days on the trail with overnight tempatures down to -30.

So while I personally don't hunt in jeans, I feel that the level of disdain you seem to have for those who do, and the argument you've used to back up that opinion, to be half informed at best.

P1090088 by , on Flickr

P1080087 by , on Flickr
Old 03-09-2021, 10:57 PM

Quote:
I would contend that when maintaining a high level of physical activity in cold temps, heavy cotton or denim is pretty tough to beat as an outer layer. While I don't actively promote hunting in jeans, I use heavy cotton pretty much exclusively as an outer shell for winter trekking.

It cuts wind effectively but still breaths extremely well, when you're on snowshoes, pulling your camp on a toboggan for most of the day, it gets obvious really fast how much better it breaths than any synthetic windproof shell. Layered properly I've spend several days on the trail with overnight tempatures down to -30.

So while I personally don't hunt in jeans, I feel that the level of disdain you seem to have for those who do, and the argument you've used to back up that opinion, to be half informed at best.

Not sure where you got "disdain for those who do" out of what i stated. Lower posterior perhaps. Good for you and your jeans but if you're saying regular Levis or Wranglers cut wind, don't absorb water, get heavier if they do, have gained some newfound insulation properties previously unknown to modern man, and dont require a liner of any kind during cold weather, then I guess you have those new fangled "magical" jeans. Not a chance denim runs with Merino wool, and as far as synthetics not breathing, well bud, maybe you should try some of the good stuff out before beaking about it because you have no idea.

Did the OP ask the question in the hunting area of AO or the cavorting about the bush in snowshoes area? Did he specifically ask about Camo for Hunting or did I miss camping, lounging, jogging, and tobogganing, in around and up and down hills? Does hunting contain elements of NOT moving or are you one of those jog while hunting guys?

Even my Saskatchewan rancher grandfather, probably the most capable hunter I've ever known, knew during the depression era, that hunting and camping in -30, driving a team of horses pulling a stoneboat 50 miles into the bush to shoot game for 2 weeks, what to wear. Wool. The itchy/scratchy stuff and lots of it. He didn't have the benefit of modern merino and synthetics but if he had he would have been wearing it.

Until you've played in Sitka, Kuiu, or FL, you shouldn't really have an opinion about them right? I've been in jeans long enough to know exactly how they perform outdoors and it ain't well. Sorry. But you enjoy yours and I'll enjoy mine. K?
Old 03-09-2021, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Not sure where you got "disdain for those who do" out of what i stated. Lower posterior perhaps. Good for you and your jeans but if you're saying regular Levis or Wranglers cut wind, don't absorb water, get heavier if they do, have gained some newfound insulation properties, and dont require a liner of any kind then I guess you have those new "magical" jeans. Not a chance denim runs with Merino wool, and as far as synthetics not breathing, well bud, maybe you should try some of the good stuff out before beaking about it because you have no idea.

Did the OP ask the question in the hunting area of AO or the cavorting about the bush in snowshoes area? Did he specifically ask about Camo for Hunting or did I miss camping, lounging, jogging, and tobogganing, in around and up and down hills? Does hunting contain elements of NOT moving or are you one of those jog while hunting guys?

Even my Saskatchewan rancher grandfather, probably the most capable hunter I've ever known, knew that hunting and camping in -30 during the depression era, driving a team of horses pulling a stoneboat 50 miles into the bush to shoot game for 2 weeks, knew what to wear. Wool. The itchy/scratchy stuff and lots of it. He didn't have the benefit of modern merino and synthetics but if he had he would have been wearing it.

Until you've played in Sitka, Kuiu, or FL, you shouldn't really have an opinion about them right? I've been in jeans long enough to know exactly how they perform outdoors and it ain't well. Sorry. But you enjoy yours and I'll enjoy mine. K?
Re-read my post, try again, keep it classy.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Re-read my post, try again, keep it classy.

Don't make things up.

Enjoy the outdoors, your denim jeans and sleeping bag. I'll be over the hill in wool, down, and modern synthetics. We'll both be happy happy.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:08 AM

I wear all white when it is snowy.
Grey if the tree I am in is grey.
Black if inside a black ground blind.
Other than that anything warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2021, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Don't make things up.

Enjoy the outdoors, your denim jeans and sleeping bag. I'll be over the hill in wool, down, and modern synthetics. We'll both be happy happy.
Sigh, I should know better but here goes. My post was intended to point out that, contrary to your claims, denim does have some decent properties as a hunting garment, and is not solely used by road hunters. Perhaps I wasn't as clear on that as I could have been?

I have plenty of decent camo, much of it wool, but for a large portion of the season I will admit that well broken in blue jeans over long johns would work just about as well as anything else.

I never once attempted to change your mind about what you or anyone else uses, as I sincerely don't care. I do seem to be unable to refrain from attempting to amend information I feel to be inaccurate however.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:01 AM

Quote:
The best camo pattern is the one you have the least faith in.

Well Said... lol

Never believed in Camo until one day etc. It was either the Camo or the animal was a huge dummy which is unlikely. If they can't see you or smell you it don't much matter but just in case theres' this stuff. Killing coyotes at 40°C feels like wearing nothing. Todays technology can certainly make it a lot more comfortable whichever brand you choose.

Cheers
Old 03-11-2021, 08:48 PM

Killed an incredible amount of critters wearing Walmart stuff.
Old 03-11-2021, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Sigh, I should know better but here goes. My post was intended to point out that, contrary to your claims, denim does have some decent properties as a hunting garment, and is not solely used by road hunters. Perhaps I wasn't as clear on that as I could have been?

I have plenty of decent camo, much of it wool, but for a large portion of the season I will admit that well broken in blue jeans over long johns would work just about as well as anything else.

I never once attempted to change your mind about what you or anyone else uses, as I sincerely don't care. I do seem to be unable to refrain from attempting to amend information I feel to be inaccurate however.

Unable to refrain from amending inaccurate info? Thats rich when you're going on about the properties of denim. Quite frankly its a bad idea for many more reasons than I stated earlier but whatever.

You not wearing it when the weather turns colder pretty much sums things up. Can you kill game while wearing it? Of course. Will you be as warm, comfortable, dry, etc etc ad nauseum? Not a chance, which is probably why you dont see many wearing it, plus you did jack to answer the OP's question asking for tips on hunting camo.

You could have at least passed him tips on the best place to buy Levi's if you feel that strongly about them.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:28 PM

Default Camo

Quote:
Unable to refrain from amending inaccurate info? Thats rich when you're going on about the properties of denim. Quite frankly its a bad idea for many more reasons than I stated earlier but whatever.

You not wearing it when the weather turns colder pretty much sums things up. Can you kill game while wearing it? Of course. Will you be as warm, comfortable, dry, etc etc ad nauseum? Not a chance, which is probably why you dont see many wearing it, plus you did jack to answer the OP's question asking for tips on hunting camo.

You could have at least passed him tips on the best place to buy Levi's if you feel that strongly about them.
Pretty sure a lot have big game has been harvested with(Levi or Wrangler denim) but the Original Poster asked what would be the best, not indicating terrain or weather conditions for such camo. As rugrfan said earlier there is no best , just what works for you, camo or no camo what keeps you comfortable.