Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-17-2021, 09:13 AM

Default Bear protection

I see quite a lot of bear siteing comments on the forum lately, like the thread Bessie just recently started has a bear alert in one post.

I haven't fished much south of Calgary so im wondering about you guys who live in the south west areas like Pincher or the CNP. Do you carry protection like say bear spray or shot gun in all areas around there while fishing or do you only do so say up the trunk road areas? Like how remote do you get before carrying I guess is what I'm after.

I'm going to try to get down that way this year if my health allows and I can't run fast anymore and don't want to be lunch for any critters. Ok I know running wouldnt be smart just sayin.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:44 AM

I think a person should get in the habit of always carrying bear spray when doing activities like fishing - a person doesn't have to be in a remote area to encounter bears. While obviously an appropriate firearm is better in some situations, you can't always carry a firearm (parks as an example), and unless it's readily available, you might not get to use it anyway.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:51 AM

Lots of solo fly fishing north of Cochrane and south as well. I don't carry a gun but bear spray/airhorn and high level of awareness for me. Have ran into several bears over the years and yes they scare the crap out of me but I think being cautious and aware mitigates most risks.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:52 AM

I go with spray. It’s a lot easier to carry and quicker off your hip than a shotgun slung over your shoulder. I’ve had a couple buddies cursing the shotgun by the end of a long day walking and wading. After the 5th time getting 6X wrapped up on some portion of the gun, you’ll be looking for an option.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:09 AM

Thanks for answers.
But I guess what want to know is not what you carry but when you carry around the above areas? Or how remote you get before feeling the need to carry might be better way to ask my question. Dont really care which, gun or spray.
You know the old dont leave home without it thing.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I think a person should get in the habit of always carrying bear spray when doing activities like fishing - a person doesn't have to be in a remote area to encounter bears. While obviously an appropriate firearm is better in some situations, you can't always carry a firearm (parks as an example), and unless it's readily available, you might not get to use it anyway.
I definitely agree that the most practical thing to do is carry bear spray on your belt or somewhere immediately accessible. Tucked into a backpack probably isn't good enough. We handicap ourselves by standing in or beside flowing water which tends to dull our sense of hearing to what's happening away from the river.

Touch wood, I haven't come across any bears fishing along the Forestry Truck Road down South. However I have left the Crownest opposite Blairmore on two occasions in the last 4 years due to black bears.

I carry bear spray whenever I'm out. Almost impossible to predict where/when you might see them.

Last edited by haggis57; 03-17-2021 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
Thanks for answers.
But I guess what want to know is not what you carry but when you carry around the above areas? Or how remote you get before feeling the need to carry might be better way to ask my question. Dont really care which, gun or spray.
For myself, I try to remember the bear spray if I'm out fishing or hiking anywhere that I might encounter a bear, and keep it on my belt or easily accessible. I don't necessarily feel the need to be in a remote area to carry it, bears can show up anywhere near people. As you say, I try not to leave home without it as long as it's reasonable, and I'd rather have it and never use it and / or get some strange looks than come into a situation and think to myself "I wish I had bear spray right now."
Old 03-17-2021, 10:30 AM

Bear spray a must. I noticed on one can an expiry date thus I now have 2 cans in my bag. On occasions if I'm solo a long ways from the vehicle I will carry 2 cans. My thought is if I use one can on the bear I have a long way back to the vehicle with a mad bear in the area and an empty can.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Thanks for answers.

Honestly there isn’t really any areas along rivers & creeks where they are not/cannot be. Walking the dog in the morning there’s bears here right in town. More so in the fall but I’ve come across them all times of year. The spot where Bessie was fishing is not relatively remote nor is it your typical bear country. One is best to have the spray at all times it weighs little and can have a big impact on how a encounter may pan out.

A reality of things now is there is more bears and they are stretching out further into their own livable country. More and more are being seen east of Cardston and into the prairies. Black bears and Grizzlies are much more common now given the encroachment of humans and the large population of bears. That said attacks are low and bears seem to see humans aren’t to be taken lightly. Take spray always in my opinion.Where permitted if you want pack a rifle/shotgun. Main thing is stay frosty and never let your guard down. Don’t assume when in bear country or potential bear country you are alone.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:46 PM

I have bear spray and bear banger and carry them mountain biking and fishing. Also you need to be aware of cougars which are common in the south along the rocks.
Old 03-17-2021, 03:47 PM

Thanks folks. That's the answers I was looking for. I've fished the Bow and CVR and some other east lakes when we are visiting relatives in Calgary and area. Guess I'll bring spray with me next time round when we can travel.
Old 03-17-2021, 04:51 PM

I've been knocking around the trunk road over 4 decades and I have never really done much other than make a little noise when moving through thick brush. I'm still around. I will concede that the last couple of years I've taken to packing bear spray. Lately I've been more concerned about 2 legged varmints than bears or cats.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:20 PM

Deep in the bush streams....bear spray
But really it’s useless.... the wind down here being what it is.. you’ll tag yourself guaranteed.

Your absolute BEST thing to do would be

Fish with two other guys.... stay within shouting distance... shout converse with them constantly. It’s just about a sure fire thing.

My lab is well trained... she stays super close to me and freaks out at bears.... has helped me out 4 separate times for sure.

Honestly it’s the damn Cats that scare me. They don give a snort if their food barks or yells.

I hate big cats.

Be loud. Find friends. Fish real slow... chat tonnes.

You’ll be fine fine.

I’ve run into a bear on the streams at least once every year for the past decade. They run away.

Having said that.... I’ve fished the South Castle a week before that poor fellow got killed, 1/2 eaten and stashed in the gravel bar.

Wife and I lunched right there I think.

On sammiches.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 03-17-2021, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Deep in the bush streams....bear spray
But really it’s useless.... the wind down here being what it is.. you’ll tag yourself guaranteed.

Your absolute BEST thing to do would be

Fish with two other guys.... stay within shouting distance... shout converse with them constantly. It’s just about a sure fire thing.

My lab is well trained... she stays super close to me and freaks out at bears.... has helped me out 4 separate times for sure.

Honestly it’s the damn Cats that scare me. They don give a snort if their food barks or yells.

I hate big cats.

Be loud. Find friends. Fish real slow... chat tonnes.

You’ll be fine fine.

I’ve run into a bear on the streams at least once every year for the past decade. They run away.

Having said that.... I’ve fished the South Castle a week before that poor fellow got killed, 1/2 eaten and stashed in the gravel bar.

Wife and I lunched right there I think.

On sammiches.

You're right about one thing. Fish with two other guys.....make sure they are fat, slow and cheer for the Flames.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:59 PM

I like that plan...!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 03-17-2021, 09:18 PM

I carry spray and have two dogs with me whenever fishing. The mutts certainly add another layer of bear detection and deterrence. They even spotted a cougar once. Needless to say the cat wasn't thrilled with a couple of barking dogs and retreated deeper into the woods.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:26 PM

Sheesh! with my heart health condition and at 75 years old im the slow guy. Yikes! Maybe i should stick to where i go now. Actually thats why i asked this question in the first place.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:53 AM

Defiantly more people = safer...
Old 03-18-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggis57 View Post
I definitely agree that the most practical thing to do is carry bear spray on your belt or somewhere immediately accessible. Tucked into a backpack probably isn't good enough. We handicap ourselves by standing in or beside flowing water which tends to dull our sense of hearing to what's happening away from the river.

Touch wood, I haven't come across any bears fishing along the Forestry Truck Road down South. However I have left the Crownest opposite Blairmore on two occasions in the last 4 years due to black bears.

I carry bear spray whenever I'm out. Almost impossible to predict where/when you might see them.
Yep, I have mine stowed in my fly vest located right on the bottom of my belly - left side since I'm right handed. I have it zipped up so just the head of the bear spray is showing but stays put. And, I practice one-handed unzipping, uncapping and spraying every year. I'm pretty damn fast now
Never had to use it but always want to be as prepared as I can.
Old 03-18-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Sheesh! with my heart health condition and at 75 years old im the slow guy. Yikes! Maybe i should stick to where i go now. Actually thats why i asked this question in the first place.
Given the other comments here, I'm guessing that if you ask, there'll be a ton of guys want to go fishing with you!
Old 03-18-2021, 02:48 PM

[QUOTE=Sundog57;4349011]Given the other comments here, I'm guessing that if you ask, there'll be a ton of guys want to go fishing with you![/QUOTE

I was just going to say who would want to go fishing with a slow old guy then the old light went on.
Gotta say that there was funny. At my expense but still funny. Umm I think.
Old 03-20-2021, 12:07 PM

My feeling on this.If you are afraid of bears then fishing on a stream where you may encounter one is probably not for you. If you still want to fish carry spray,air horn, bangers or a gun.