Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-02-2021, 10:45 AM

You live on 5 acres West of the city in the foothills. Like this whole thing hurts my head. Shoot your bow , don't worry about it.
Old 04-02-2021, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
You live on 5 acres West of the city in the foothills. Like this whole thing hurts my head. Shoot your bow , don't worry about it.
Agreed, and be a good neighbour, know your neighbours and be on good speaking terms. This is how to be able to shoot our bows etc.
Old 04-02-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
This. Use some common sense, set up a safe backstop, shoot your damn bow and have fun. Hell, I shoot my bow in my basement. If I had 5 acres, I'd have a 3D course set up. Friggen Canadians. Soon they'll be asking permission to smile or breathe.
Old 04-02-2021, 02:23 PM

To the OP
You'd be surprised how many of us that that live in the MD of Foothills that shoot our bows on less than 5 acres.
Old 04-02-2021, 03:57 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybert View Post
To the OP
You'd be surprised how many of us that that live in the MD of Foothills that shoot our bows on less than 5 acres.
Back in the day I used to shoot my traditional long bow down the hallway in my apartment into a sheet of plywood or three... Today, not so much! So young and so dumb back in the 80’s!

That said, on 2.5 acres where I live with the elevation change and from the right direction, I wouldn’t worry in the least, but I also get along great with my neighbours and they know I would behave responsibly not being the same dumb young guy I once was.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 04-02-2021, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
This. Use some common sense, set up a safe backstop, shoot your damn bow and have fun. Hell, I shoot my bow in my basement. If I had 5 acres, I'd have a 3D course set up. Friggen Canadians. Soon they'll be asking permission to smile or breathe.
Exactly. I know somebody who may have been shooting 37 yards in his backyard in a city for years and never had an issue. And his neighbors on either side don't mind.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-02-2021, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
Not sure what your training is in reading and interpreting laws is , but respectfully you are wrong on all accounts.

Wording matters, punctuation matters and definitions matter. What doesn't matter is title of a part. Doesn't form part of the charge and you don't have to meet the elements of a title, but you do have to meet the elements of the offence. In this case the elements are:

No person (have to prove person)

Shall discharge a weapon (here is where words matter, have to prove discharge and weapon and what is the definition of weapon?)

Or cause a projectile from a weapon (again definition matters, they didn't say firearm and bullet)

Within 200yrds of an occupied building. (Not just where the projectile was fired from but where it goes too)

Sorry they have to prove everything in the section, has nothing to do with title, just like you don't have to be hunting to be charged under the Wildlife Act.
That is excellent. So the next time the neighbor's kids are having a nerf gun fight in the backyard and being too loud, you can either call bylaw for a noise complaint or Fish and Wildlife to have them charges under section 52 of the Wildlife Act.

You see those dangerous nerf guns fit the definition of a "Weapon" under the Wildlife Act. It would be completely illegal for them to be firing them in the backyard without your permission, since your house is only 85 yards away.

(kk) “weapon” means a firearm or any other device that
propels a projectile by means of an explosion, spring, air,
gas, string, wire or elastic material or any combination of
those things;

If Fish and Wildlife doesn't want to attend or refuses to charge... no worries, you can head to your local court house and swear an Information since you can provide the evidence and swear that the elements of the offence are met. I am sure the court house will promptly issue summons for each of those harden criminals.

Sounds kinda ridiculous when you say it out loud, now doesn't it?
Old 04-02-2021, 07:48 PM

Although I fully understand all the legalities, and the need to interpret the relevant sections correctly, isn't it just absurd that a guy has to actually think about this on his own acreage, where a bow / arrow is NEVER going to be able to harm anything 200yd away?!?!
Old 04-03-2021, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybert View Post
To the OP
Really, and you wouldn't start a goofy thread that is so nonsensicle I cannot believe I am adding to the nonsense......FS
Old 04-03-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Exactly. I know somebody who may have been shooting 37 yards in his backyard in a city for years and never had an issue. And his neighbors on either side don't mind.
I “might”know someone doing the same thing too... I think he lives with my wife.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:57 AM

If you have an acreage I am of the live and let live thought process, as long as you are doing it intelligently. I don’t recommend shooting a bow in a town or city however unless it’s inside your basement and completely contained. I USED to shoot in town, till I had an equipment failure and put an arrow through my garage wall, through a sheet of 3/4” plywood and 3/4 of the way through the fence behind that lead next to my neighbours yard. That event was enough to convince me it should not be done in town, and i shoot a lot typically (pre-Covid )

LC
Old 04-03-2021, 10:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
If you have an acreage I am of the live and let live thought process, as long as you are doing it intelligently. I don’t recommend shooting a bow in a town or city however unless it’s inside your basement and completely contained. I USED to shoot in town, till I had an equipment failure and put an arrow through my garage wall, through a sheet of 3/4” plywood and 3/4 of the way through the fence behind that lead next to my neighbours yard. That event was enough to convince me it should not be done in town, and i shoot a lot typically (pre-Covid )

LC
This.
I don’t see an issue if you’re on an acreage, but it’s a fool who does so in the city.
You’re counting on never having a mindfart or equipment failure. That doesn’t go far in court, nor will it make the parents of the child you injure (or kill) feel better.
Old 04-03-2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
This.
I don’t see an issue if you’re on an acreage, but it’s a fool who does so in the city.
You’re counting on never having a mindfart or equipment failure. That doesn’t go far in court, nor will it make the parents of the child you injure (or kill) feel better.
I guess it may depend on the fools particular situation. Some fools are lucky enough that their yard is on the absolute edge of town overlooking farmland, and that's the direction they shoot. There is a 6" fence as backstop that's never been hit. They also maintain their equipment (strings and D loop, arrows, limbs and riser checked, fletching). Anything catastrophic that occurs and an arrow isn't going into a school or playground. Not that this has happened, even once, since that person moved there 12 years ago.

It helps if when you draw your bow you don't point it at the moon either.

But it's all moot now anyway, as this poor guy had to put up a greenhouse to keep his wife happy, which ruined the yard, and now has to shoot at the indoor range.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-03-2021, 05:35 PM

Im lucky, I live on a acreage in the country, I can shoot here in my yard at 110 yards, shooting into the open field next to my place.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:52 AM
Suspended User

You might want to consider the fellow who got charged with using a firearm, because he shot a slingshot at the cougar.
Old 05-08-2021, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I “might”know someone doing the same thing too... I think he lives with my wife.
Jeeze.. do we all know the same person??? small world!
Old 05-10-2021, 07:59 PM

I feel like its got everything to do with how well you get along with your neighbours
Old 05-11-2021, 12:26 PM

I would suggest a conversation with your neighbor. Unless your set up appears to be reckless/dangerous, probably wouldn't be an issue. Most people, even non hunters don't seem to have a problem with archery.

We don't need government regulations to solve all of our problems.

Most people are reasonable.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:46 PM

Also make sure you wear a mask
Old 05-23-2021, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
You must be no closer than 200 yards to an occupied building ( I don't have a problem with understanding the regulation). Surely, on 5 acres, you have a space where you meet the criteria. Your own house does not count as it is implied you give yourself permission

No kidding, how can you not find a 200m lane on 5 acres of land?
Old 05-23-2021, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
No kidding, how can you not find a 200m lane on 5 acres of land?
Easy. 5 acres dimensioned on one side as 200m long will only be 101m wide. Place a house on there and a barn/shop, all of a sudden that 200m window becomes smaller. Then have a neighbor build a house / shop / barn in line with that particular window of 200m lane and you're suddenly left without much room.

I agree with the others; talk to your neighbor and let them know your plans. If he/she is neighborly, then you won't have an issue. Shoot and have an arrow fly somewhere it's not supposed to go and you might have to explain your intentions to someone other than your neighbor (law enforcement/courts).

Be the good neighbor and start the conversation.

J.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:36 PM

But that is 200m to the edge of your property, not to an occupied dwelling
Old 06-09-2021, 05:22 AM

You do not need a hunting license to own, carry or discharge a weapon unless you are hunting. The only rules you would need to follow when shooting would be your municipal by-laws governing discharge of firearms and bows and any other provincial or federal laws that apply to that type of activity. Hunting laws are for the purpose of hunting and have no control over sport shooting. If that were the case there would be alot of people who do not hunt but take part in activities such as trap shooting, archery contests, etc. unable to take part in their hobbies whether on private land, crown land or ranges.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post
You do not need a hunting license to own, carry or discharge a weapon unless you are hunting. The only rules you would need to follow when shooting would be your municipal by-laws governing discharge of firearms and bows and any other provincial or federal laws that apply to that type of activity. Hunting laws are for the purpose of hunting and have no control over sport shooting. If that were the case there would be alot of people who do not hunt but take part in activities such as trap shooting, archery contests, etc. unable to take part in their hobbies whether on private land, crown land or ranges.
You do not need a hunting license to target shoot, but you still need to obey the Wildlife Act, whether you are hunting or not. Things like discharging a firearm at night, from in or on a motor vehicle, within the 200 yards of occupied buildings, and over occupied land still apply , even if you aren't hunting.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:24 AM

Maybe invite them for a BBQ and maybe they won't be such babies about It lol