Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2021, 07:49 PM

We were planning on building a deck and carport this year. Yikes!

Sent from my BAH2-W19 using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2021, 07:58 PM

Purchasing my Woodmizer LT 35 hydraulic sawmill has paid for itself ten fold.

Original purchase was for milling posts, beams and board for new barn, sauna, shop, trappers shack and dock.

Having a 230 timberjack to skid and deck logs aids tremendously.

The rest was all sweat equity.

The quality of lumber we milled exceeded what was seen in some of the lumber yards.

I did buy and store 3 lifts of 7/16" OSB when it was $7/sheet so was covered there.

Also purchased all the required tin for roofing and siding in one order, got a great rate for a bulk purchase including on site delivery.

Our build plans had been in the works for a while so once we committed we shopped to fill materials orders based on best quotes from suppliers.

The price of construction materials will continue to rise, the cost of time if self constructing must be considered as well.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
What a marketer. I thought u had some in post #1 lol
Thanks.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-08-2021, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blake View Post
Our insurance is due April 30 and I just received the new premiums and details.

The insurance coverage for the shop, outbuildings and house were increased in value by 15%. The insurance premiums went up 8%.

I sure wouldn't want to be starting out building anything right now!! I wonder what the price of lumber will be by next year? The inflation numbers posted by the Government are a joke.
My neighbor just got his house premium and it's up $1000.00 over last year. He spent his career in the insurance business so he called Toronto. When he asked them what was up they told him his house was 25 years old and it was plumbed with Poly- B so he no longer qualified for preferred premium. They are apparently getting claims with Poly-B failing. Change it all out to Pex to qualify and get the lower premium. No joke.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:24 PM

Just paid my House insurance it went up $39 from last April so I'm not complaining as that is only a 2% increase. I really hope that nothing else goes up more than 2% from last year, yea right good luck with that

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 04-09-2021, 04:34 AM

I am not sure why you guys are lying?

Prices are not up that much on anything?

The FED and other Central Bankers keeps insisting core inflation is 1.5%>>>>having trouble reaching 2%???

My groceries for March. $1237. 49 years old with 19 year old and 16 year old sons at home.

I am NOT quite sure how people on low-income or fixed income Seniors afford to eat?

Don't get me started on diesel...it's now a $1.37?
Old 04-09-2021, 05:40 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2021, 07:17 AM
Banned

Over here with the insurance nazis we actually got an insurance break this year. My renewal for the home policy went down, after several years of increases, by about 15% and the auto policies are offering a like amount in refunds for the past three years. I am expecting a cheque in May for about $825 per auto. We've made no claims on any policy.

This in a jurisdiction with no competition.

Free
Old 04-09-2021, 10:43 AM

I should have went and brought a steel shelf at Home Depot instead of try to build one ... damn
Old 04-10-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350 mag View Post
I am not sure why you guys are lying?

Prices are not up that much on anything?

The FED and other Central Bankers keeps insisting core inflation is 1.5%>>>>having trouble reaching 2%???

My groceries for March. $1237. 49 years old with 19 year old and 16 year old sons at home.

I am NOT quite sure how people on low-income or fixed income Seniors afford to eat?

Don't get me started on diesel...it's now a $1.37?
Yeah it's pretty crazy. Their how and what for calculating inflation has some serious flaws, and they say they are going to let it run hot for the foreseeable future. We may heading back to a period like the 70,s and like you say, it's going to hurt the low and fixed income crowd the worst.

The Producer Price index is now really taking off and that's going to bleed into the inflation number soon. Looking at some of the commodity prices from the beginning of the year, oil up 22%, copper 15%, lumber 57%, soybeans 34%, hogs 52%. Canadian home prices also skyrocketing. Top that all off with governments now desperately looking for new ways to tax us even more to pay for all this "free money" they enjoy spending to stay in power. Brutal.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:54 AM

Don't forget $40.00 a Ton for the air we breath and the Liberals are pondering bringing the GST to 7% in there budget. The 3 most used topics in the media today
- Tax, tax and more ways to tax
- Colvid 19
- Black lives matter
Old 04-10-2021, 08:58 AM

I don't beleive we have seen the worst yet, more to come as was predicted so please don't tell me your surprised.

Prices will increase across the board for everything, any an every reason will be citied to justify the increase.

One can expect taxes in every form and at every level of government to increase to pay for the debt that has accumulated over the last 2 years or so.

Hunker down because there's more to come.
Old 04-10-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engels View Post
i got my pricing from my lumber supplier today. pricing is 56.85/ sheet for 3/8 osb. $73/ sheet for 23/32 T&G OSB..... Craziness
This is totally nuts.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 04-10-2021, 11:56 AM

And every day we are destroying old houses and buildings, they don't even consider salvage when I was a kid people would salvage everything, and I think we need to go back to this especially in light of what's happening now.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofbounds View Post
Purchasing my Woodmizer LT 35 hydraulic sawmill has paid for itself ten fold.

Original purchase was for milling posts, beams and board for new barn, sauna, shop, trappers shack and dock.

Having a 230 timberjack to skid and deck logs aids tremendously.

The rest was all sweat equity.

The quality of lumber we milled exceeded what was seen in some of the lumber yards.

I did buy and store 3 lifts of 7/16" OSB when it was $7/sheet so was covered there.

Also purchased all the required tin for roofing and siding in one order, got a great rate for a bulk purchase including on site delivery.

Our build plans had been in the works for a while so once we committed we shopped to fill materials orders based on best quotes from suppliers.

The price of construction materials will continue to rise, the cost of time if self constructing must be considered as well.
Hell of a wise investment for milling your own dimensional lumber.

Considering what current pricing is for dimensional lumber that we pay for and what we get; full of knots, cracked and warped.

I have been told by many loggers, carpenters and purchasers that the lumber sold locally in any lumber yard or big box store is 'C grade' where as premium lumber is exported to overseas to Japan. Entire barges are sunk of the coast of the country for deep water storage.. if that is such a thing?
Old 04-11-2021, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
And every day we are destroying old houses and buildings, they don't even consider salvage when I was a kid people would salvage everything, and I think we need to go back to this especially in light of what's happening now.
Actually that might be a good side business considering the cost of lumber . The legal/ liability side of thing might be hassle.
Old 08-07-2021, 10:04 AM

Default Why such a difference

Just did some looking At 3/4" pressure treated plywood prices !$125.00 here & $ 50.00usd a sheet in Miami.Not many lumber mills near Miami are there?
I just don't understand the huge difference, that's half the price !
Old 08-07-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye guy View Post
Just did some looking At 3/4" pressure treated plywood prices !$125.00 here & $ 50.00usd a sheet in Miami.Not many lumber mills near Miami are there?
I just don't understand the huge difference, that's half the price !
greed

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-07-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
greed
Or in other words...capitalism.

The market will charge what people are willing to pay. With the rampant runup in RE values many Canadians are more than willing to pay the inflated prices as they are surely going to continue getting rich on housing appreciating +20%/yr.

I used to think housing was going to crash but now think inflation is here to stay and largely by design. Gov't, banks, RE agents, trades are all making bank while previous debt is inflated away. Liberals can stay in power a long time now that there is no limit on money printing/debt. Can't wait to see what happens when more money is doled out disincentivizing working even more. I imagine another round of Covid this Fall will enable another massive cash injection. Fun times.
Old 08-07-2021, 01:18 PM

Lockdowns = Inflation. Complete disruption of supply chains = shortages = Increased prices = Inflation. Government is 100% responsible for this Inflation. Don’t shut down economies because of virus. 👎🏾.

https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/a...wns-inflation/
Old 08-07-2021, 02:13 PM

Prices are coming down on lumber.
Hopefully that trend continues.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:37 AM

We just switched our insurance from RSA to Intact, who actually bought RSA. Better coverage and saved 1500 a year between the house, shop and 4 vehicles. It pays to shop around.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:08 AM

I wonder if this makes a garage with masonry walls the more economical choice?
Old 08-08-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
Are you kidding? Don't use Facebook or kijiji?
People are selling old rotten decking and wood for insane prices. They should be paying someone $250 to haul their deck to the dump, instead they are asking $2500

Also the tax on a square meter of land that foresters paid has now jumped from $4 to $38.00. That's a 900% increase, thanks to the Liberals. It has nothing to do with people being at home because of covid.

Old 08-08-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Are you kidding? Don't use Facebook or kijiji?
People are selling old rotten decking and wood for insane prices. They should be paying someone $250 to haul their deck to the dump, instead they are asking $2500

Also the tax on a square meter of land that foresters paid has now jumped from $4 to $38.00. That's a 900% increase, thanks to the Liberals. It has nothing to do with people being at home because of covid.
I was happy to give our 35 year old fence to someone who would haul it away for free . And then the Price of Lumber was so blinking high , we went with a 6 foot vinyl replacement Fence . It didn’t cost much more and No more painting or staining
Old 08-08-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefk View Post
Hell of a wise investment for milling your own dimensional lumber.

Considering what current pricing is for dimensional lumber that we pay for and what we get; full of knots, cracked and warped.

I have been told by many loggers, carpenters and purchasers that the lumber sold locally in any lumber yard or big box store is 'C grade' where as premium lumber is exported to overseas to Japan. Entire barges are sunk of the coast of the country for deep water storage.. if that is such a thing?
I used an Alaskan Mill to do my greehouse project this year in Cedar. Got more than enough lumber out of one 30 inch cedar.

Dropping some fir next week for a horse shelter/ barn project next year. Figure i will set up now, ml over the winter for something to do.
Old 08-08-2021, 02:05 PM

What are lumber prices at now? I purchased everything I need a couple of months ago for a big deck and carport. I haven't picked my order up yet. I'm wondering if I should return and purchase again, or take it at the original purchase price.