Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-10-2021, 11:17 AM

Default Salmon Poachers caught and found guilty

https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...A&ceid=CA%3Aen

Can’t find their names.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-10-2021, 06:39 PM

If fish poachers have their boat seized why don’t drug dealers have their cars seized?
Old 04-10-2021, 08:41 PM

Read that the poachers were three from Washington State.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-10-2021, 08:58 PM

Fined somewhere in the neighbourhood of $90,000 and a lifetime ban on fishing in Canada. That’s what we need more of.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyallpeder View Post
If fish poachers have their boat seized why don’t drug dealers have their cars seized?
I think they do , and anything that they can link to proceeds of crime . Either they don’t own the car or they are just using someone else car .
Old 04-12-2021, 07:56 AM

The boat was not seized but the engines were. Weird plea deal.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-12-2021, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I read it had something to do with the wife being on the registration.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post

I was thinking, the cops have no place to store the boats and without them, they are useless.

Grizz
Old 04-12-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I was thinking, the cops have no place to store the boats and without them, they are useless.

Grizz
The twin Yamaha 300 outboard motors could cost $65000 to replace. I wish they hadn’t accepted a plea bargain and just confiscated the boat as a whole. Sale price would of greatly helped pay for enforcement.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:33 AM

We saw that boat while fishing in Nootka. Glad they were caught and punished (sort of).

Alba gu brath!
Old 04-12-2021, 11:37 AM

I’m not sure what you guys would have thought would be sufficient punishment?

It cost them an estimated $90,000 in fines and a lifetime ban on fishing in Canada. One article mentioned it will affect them even entering Canada for any reason. And for what? A bunch of skanky springs past their prime and some bottom fish.

What does having fisheries regulations even matter when a segment of society can set nets up on the river, keep whatever they want then come the next year throw what wasn’t consumed and is freezer burnt out on the side of the logging road just to rub it in the nose of those who don’t have the privilege then go get more?

I’d say the fish cops did a great job and this case will make poachers think twice about keeping more than their limit. The risk vs reward is just not there and this case proves it.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
The twin Yamaha 300 outboard motors could cost $65000 to replace. I wish they hadn’t accepted a plea bargain and just confiscated the boat as a whole. Sale price would of greatly helped pay for enforcement.
Forfeiture of the boat would have been a much better penalty, however disposal may have been a problem as the boat was registered in the U.S. Additionally I believe the boat was registered to the spouse of one of the suspects. If she was not present, and had no knowledge of the offences, it may have been a decision by the Crown and the Judge not to order forfeiture.

The fine that was levied, and the forfeiture of the engines, is a substantial penalty - over $150k which hopefully sends a strong message to those who want to plunder the resources.

Great work by the RCMP and DFO, and those who reported the offences to get a conviction in this case. Had other anglers not stepped up to report this, the offences would have probably gone undetected.

Mr Conservation
Old 04-12-2021, 12:43 PM

Why weren't they named? Wierd.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:15 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Conservation View Post
Forfeiture of the boat would have been a much better penalty, however disposal may have been a problem as the boat was registered in the U.S. Additionally I believe the boat was registered to the spouse of one of the suspects. If she was not present, and had no knowledge of the offences, it may have been a decision by the Crown and the Judge not to order forfeiture.
That was the case. Were the co-owner to challenge boat forfeiture, she almost certainly would have won. So, they took the engines in lieu thereof. Makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Why weren't they named? Wierd.
Justy have to dig a little deeper is all...
Three Washington state men - Geoffrey Aaron Hoover, Johnathan Nollan Magee and Bradley Stephen Wolgamott.
Total of eleven counts filed against them.
Convicted.

Don't think they will be coming back.

Nog