Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-09-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Exactly,

So many new hunters think its just like on TV. Most of the shows are guided and many are on private land with access to the guides only.
Not hard to shoot a big Whitetail in Texas for$$$$. Or a 300+ Bull Elk on a private ranch in the USA.
As for the long range idiots,I wonder how many animals are wounded,lost or in the best case missed.
Just a guess, but of all the actual hits on a Game animal @ 800 yds , I would think that maybe 1 out of 4 would actually be recovered.. and that may be a generous guess. At 800 yds + I would double that to 1 in 8.
LR hunting is best left to the unethical fools and dreamers . For LR target shooters, it's an acceptable challenge.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Just a guess, but of all the actual hits on a Game animal @ 800 yds , I would think that maybe 1 out of 4 would actually be recovered.. and that may be a generous guess. At 800 yds + I would double that to 1 in 8.
LR hunting is best left to the unethical fools and dreamers . For LR target shooters, it's an acceptable challenge.
And this is why I have always hated those stupid shows. I'm no saint, but I respect the animals I harvest.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
Do you mean the episode with Bryan Martin the outfitter charged with wild life offences.
Yaaaaaa
He’s got a history that’s for sure
But I dont see anything illegal in that episode
I like the build up to the hunt. The families multi generational dream to get the opportunity to hunt a Marco Polo. The travel, the journey, the experience.
To me the outfitter is irrelevant. Because if I ever go on that hunt, I’m not going with him.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:12 PM

Default The rifleman

How in the world did a goof like Jordan Walsh get tied up with a very respectable outfitter like John Porter? Also, I knew a fellow that worked for the boys at one of those long range hunting shows as a camera man. He said he quit after the first year because he couldn’t stand to see the amount of wounded animals that were a result of it all.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:10 PM

This quarantine has been hard on your guys.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:04 PM

Default Greg McHale’s Wild Yukon

I like Meateater but I guess everyone has different tastes. I love the fact that he is educating people that wild game is such a great way to enjoy meat.

Has anyone watched Greg McHale’s Wild Yukon,he is a great personality for that show and really brings the experience to screen. He sure works hard for it and loves what he does. Good for him with this as it provides the viewer a great experience with the cinematography, well done with that cameraman, and neat perspectives.

Although he is hard core it still brings an understanding to our sport for those that don’t hunt which is important these days.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:36 PM
Banned

Does anyone remember a show that was on a couple years ago, a women was elk hunting with a guide. They found a herd with 2 bulls. The camera was centered on the larger bill, with the other still in view. She shot the wrong bull, but they covered that mistake up. I wish I could remember what show.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Exactly,

So many new hunters think its just like on TV. Most of the shows are guided and many are on private land with access to the guides only.
Not hard to shoot a big Whitetail in Texas for$$$$. Or a 300+ Bull Elk on a private ranch in the USA.
As for the long range idiots,I wonder how many animals are wounded,lost or in the best case missed.
That's interesting. I happen to know a number of people that can't hit the broad side of a barn door at 100 yards. To cheap or too lazy or don't care to practice and or scared of their guns. My guess is that there are no less wounded at long range than short range. I'm not defending long range shooters. Just saying there is another side to this. Lots of wounded animals that I know of first hand. Makes me ill!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-10-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
How in the world did a goof like Jordan Walsh get tied up with a very respectable outfitter like John Porter? Also, I knew a fellow that worked for the boys at one of those long range hunting shows as a camera man. He said he quit after the first year because he couldn’t stand to see the amount of wounded animals that were a result of it all.
They get tied up together because Best of the West and Huskema are major sponsors for them both, plain and simple

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Yaaaaaa
He’s got a history that’s for sure
But I dont see anything illegal in that episode
I like the build up to the hunt. The families multi generational dream to get the opportunity to hunt a Marco Polo. The travel, the journey, the experience.
To me the outfitter is irrelevant. Because if I ever go on that hunt, I’m not going with him.
Ya just surprises me who hunts with and who supports convicted guides and outfitters.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Ya just surprises me who hunts with and who supports convicted guides and outfitters.
Someone who probably didn’t pay full price for the hunt
Old 04-10-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram94 View Post
I noticed that one too...real head shaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's a lot of head shakers on Outdoor Quest. Surprised they are still around.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:34 AM

There is no doubt that the number of well done hunting shows is REALLY small. So many have lousy camera work, huge wind noise, guys whispering so low you can't hear a thing they are saying and too lazy to add subtitles, ridiculous levels of fake jubilation, and that is before we get to all of the dangerous, unethical and illegal stuff they do. These shows should put hunters in a good light and help spread the story of what hunting really is, instead most make us look like a bunch of yahoos.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
There is no doubt that the number of well done hunting shows is REALLY small. So many have lousy camera work, huge wind noise, guys whispering so low you can't hear a thing they are saying and too lazy to add subtitles, ridiculous levels of fake jubilation, and that is before we get to all of the dangerous, unethical and illegal stuff they do. These shows should put hunters in a good light and help spread the story of what hunting really is, instead most make us look like a bunch of yahoos.
The nuts and bolts to your frustration to the whole outdoor field productions has ZERO money to be made in this industry... What do you really expect from negative budgets ? Other than Shockey and a very select few others, there are no film crews, editing staff, field producers, ext...

Pick up a camera, grab a couple buddies and giver a try

Last edited by Sledhead71; 04-10-2020 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
You sound like you are tired of being told that you can't be a successful hunter without buying certain products.

I still laugh when I see some goof claiming that he uses Heavy Metal loads to ground swat grouse, because they are so much more effective for that purpose.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:03 AM

Default The rifleman

Quote:
Do you mean the episode with Bryan Martin the outfitter charged with wild life offences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
They get tied up together because Best of the West and Huskema are major sponsors for them both, plain and simple
OK, that explains that. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You sound like you are tired of being told that you can't be a successful hunter without buying certain products.

I still laugh when I see some goof claiming that he uses Heavy Metal loads to ground swat grouse, because they are so much more effective for that purpose.
Funny enough, I find the sponsor pumping the lest offensive of the nonsense they engage in. The tremendously bad image they convey of who hunters are and why we hunt is what makes my blood boil. Their fascination with the kill shots, seems like no hunting show is complete without one even though that part of the hunt is a few seconds in weeks of hunting. The endless litany of I primarily hunt to feed my family when we all know it is way cheaper to go to Safeway and thus rings very hollow. Where are the shots of the trip in, getting stuck, setting up camp, cooking, enjoying the sun rise, watching a dozen different kinds of non game animals and birds that you watch for the pure enjoyment. They fail to convey the whole need of so many of us to be in the outdoors but what an integral thing hunting is in that mix and what that is really all about.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Funny enough, I find the sponsor pumping the lest offensive of the nonsense they engage in. The tremendously bad image they convey of who hunters are and why we hunt is what makes my blood boil. Their fascination with the kill shots, seems like no hunting show is complete without one even though that part of the hunt is a few seconds in weeks of hunting. The endless litany of I primarily hunt to feed my family when we all know it is way cheaper to go to Safeway and thus rings very hollow. Where are the shots of the trip in, getting stuck, setting up camp, cooking, enjoying the sun rise, watching a dozen different kinds of non game animals and birds that you watch for the pure enjoyment. They fail to convey the whole need of so many of us to be in the outdoors but what an integral thing hunting is in that mix and what that is really all about.
That's one of the reasons I like the meateater show is the gratuitous squirrel shot or light playing off the trees. Also Him talking about the feelings that are engendered by hunting.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
That's one of the reasons I like the meateater show is the gratuitous squirrel shot or light playing off the trees. Also Him talking about the feelings that are engendered by hunting.

Yep. Don't know that I've ever heard Rinella, Shockey, or Dunham talk much about their guns, ammo, scopes, etc. The good ones don't have to.

95% of what's on the 2 hunting channels is pure garbage. That number might be low.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:02 AM

That's my biggest peeve is the sponsors. I love cody Robbins live to hunt shows but cant stand him. There isn't a second that goes by where hes not mentioning a sponsor. He is by far the worst out of anyone on. Shockey is good, brad fry was my favorite, randy newberg I like on YouTube.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:14 AM

I like Jim Shockeys show and think it’s one of the better ones, but I always wondered what it would be like if he was sponsored by a liquor company. Like this -“I trust my life and the life of my clients to Crown Royal”. A Copenhagen sponsorship would be interesting also.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:18 AM

Default Cody

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
That's my biggest peeve is the sponsors. I love cody Robbins live to hunt shows but cant stand him. There isn't a second that goes by where hes not mentioning a sponsor. He is by far the worst out of anyone on. Shockey is good, brad fry was my favorite, randy newberg I like on YouTube.
I used to like him, but agree that he's over the top with sponsor talk. The celebrations are way too much also.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:19 AM

Whatever happened to The Boneyard?
Old 04-11-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
You’ve hit the crux of the matter here.

The celebs are so beholding to their sponsors, and it’s so apparent, some celebrities are a bit more polished in their acknowledgment of the sponsors, some not so much. But the sponsors pay their bills as they say, and the sponsors want to be show cased or they cease sponsorship, and the show dies.

Think back to the celebs that were a big part of this forum a handful or more years ago...... you could spot who their sponsors were the second they recommended any item to anyone who asked.

It’s a double edged sword, if you want outdoors shows you gotta put up with the acknowledgment of the shows sponsors.

You can’t have one without the other.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-11-2020, 08:35 AM

SNS....The Boneyard lol.
Now i was never a Jordan Walsh fan. I turned on the Telly to the sportsman channel and there is this show called the Rifleman. Somehow JW is on this show now. He shoots at an Elk , Not sure if he's hit it, Then its a Foot race to chase the wounded animal through the Bush....Nope can't find it. Hopefully theres More Elk around.....

Im wondering whats happened with WildTV. Some that have left it...Helgie Eimundson, Brice Folden, Jeff Condie , etc.

I understand what its like to try and capture a Hunt and its not easy without a Cameraman and theres no dress rehearsal and you do your best with the conditions you get. I have packed mine lots over the years and mostly for memory lane.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
SNS....The Boneyard lol.
Now i was never a Jordan Walsh fan. I turned on the Telly to the sportsman channel and there is this show called the Rifleman. Somehow JW is on this show now. He shoots at an Elk , Not sure if he's hit it, Then its a Foot race to chase the wounded animal through the Bush....Nope can't find it. Hopefully theres More Elk around.....

Im wondering whats happened with WildTV. Some that have left it...Helgie Eimundson, Brice Folden, Jeff Condie , etc.

I understand what its like to try and capture a Hunt and its not easy without a Cameraman and theres no dress rehearsal and you do your best with the conditions you get. I have packed mine lots over the years and mostly for memory lane.

From what I understand is the “management” for WildTV was hard to get along with, so when Sportsman Channel broke into Canada, most Canadian shows stopped sending them new material and switched to SC. Made sense to me as WildTV was almost 100% reruns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
You’ve hit the crux of the matter here.

The celebs are so beholding to their sponsors, and it’s so apparent, some celebrities are a bit more polished in their acknowledgment of the sponsors, some not so much. But the sponsors pay their bills as they say, and the sponsors want to be show cased or they cease sponsorship, and the show dies.

Think back to the celebs that were a big part of this forum a handful or more years ago...... you could spot who their sponsors were the second they recommended any item to anyone who asked.

It’s a double edged sword, if you want outdoors shows you gotta put up with the acknowledgment of the shows sponsors.
You can’t have one without the other.
I watched a few shows last night on Yutube late last night- I don't have any of those extra cable shows like Wild TV.
Two shows were fairly well known, dunno who was on the third one.
the two well known hosts had a segment on their shows explaining the gear they use, but never once did I hear the " I never would have been able to make this shot without blah blah blah"
Outdoor Quest and Jim Shockey's show.
Vanessa Harrop shot a nice white tail buck and her crazy looking antelope, and Jim's Daughter , Eva, shot an an old buck they had named " Squiggle".
Good shows , both of them.
The third one I have no idea who she was , some country singer who came up from the States I think, she was deer hunting and coyote hunting, that show was also pretty good but not near the quality of the first two.

I have seen some other shows that do not hold my attention form more than a minute, what with the BS lingo, the sponsor pounding , and everything else.
Wanna turn someone off that has a brain in their head? Just tell them they need a particular brand to be successful!

Cat
Old 04-11-2020, 09:40 PM

Just finished watching the rifleman show, maybe it's not what you like in a show but I thought it was alright, I'm glad there's still some young guys out hunting and enjoying what AB has to offer.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerman View Post
Just finished watching the rifleman show, maybe it's not what you like in a show but I thought it was alright, I'm glad there's still some young guys out hunting and enjoying what AB has to offer.
That’s pretty realistic. Lots of crusty old timers in this thread grumpy from retirement.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
That’s pretty realistic. Lots of crusty old timers in this thread grumpy from retirement.
Not really. Guys like Koehler and Walsh, etc are clowns. Pure and simple. Like to see them gut and cut up an animal. You know the important stuff.