Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-12-2021, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prewar View Post
12-14K for 1 animal...can harvest a lot of African plains game for that much cash...1 Eland which are bigger than moose cost around $2700U.S ...Blesbok $400 U.S...There’s no comparison and bringing your own rifle is no big deal either...FYI
Yep, but there’s no mountain caribou or moose in South Africa, so not really the same.

Now if you said free range lion and leopard in Zimbabwe again I’d be interested, but then moose and caribou seem cheap..... FYI
Old 02-12-2021, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guilmich View Post
Any Mountain Caribou deals or outfitter suggestions?
A vote for Tombstone Outfitters in the Yukon. Took a 414 gross bull with them last year.
Old 02-12-2021, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
A vote for Tombstone Outfitters in the Yukon. Took a 414 gross bull with them last year.
I figured you’d be down in old Mexico after your slam ram this winter Bob ?
Old 02-12-2021, 05:04 PM

Not this year. Going to do the northern hunts as long as I can. Man do I love the Yukon.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Not this year. Going to do the northern hunts as long as I can. Man do I love the Yukon.
It’s a wonderful place for sure !
Old 02-12-2021, 08:03 PM

If price is of any concerns, hunting on your own tag would slightly drop the price with an outfitter in Alberta. Sometimes there are these species that seem out of reach that the COVID-19 is making possible (I should say affordable). An example would be a cougar on a dog hunt. Memorable for sure and 100% guaranteed (if you book it right). Hard to guarantee a legal kill on a Goat or Sheep. Just an idea ...
Old 02-13-2021, 08:15 AM

My vote would be go to Kyrgyzstan and kill a Ibex. I’ve been on a BC goat hunt and in Kyrgyzstan. The Ibex Hunt is twice the hunt for the same or possibly less money
Old 02-13-2021, 08:27 AM

Ive been on two , Barrenground Caribou in Nwt and Red Stag in New Zealand. Both were awesome but very different experiences. Im just glad i went when i did, prices are obscene now. Supply and demand and all that ...lol
Old 02-13-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
If the borders don’t open you might find one in the Yukon for $12-14K Canadian, I think Dustin Roe did some last season for $10K ish ?

I’ll do one if you find a couple moose hunters to go with you. But my prices aren’t changing for Canadians. Our rates are the same regardless of your country of origin 😉
Dustin was 15K Canadian for caribou this past fall
I was very close to pulling the trigger on a hunt with jinx
I just couldn’t justify it while in the middle of purchasing my own outfitting area.

I think with all the uncertainty any Canadians that want a great price on a high quality hunt right now is the time to commit and book these hunts.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
Dustin was 15K Canadian for caribou this past fall
I was very close to pulling the trigger on a hunt with jinx
I just couldn’t justify it while in the middle of purchasing my own outfitting area.

I think with all the uncertainty any Canadians that want a great price on a high quality hunt right now is the time to commit and book these hunts.
I heard he was selling Stone Sheep hunts for $15-20K, but didn’t realize he was getting that for caribou. You do what you have to do I guess.

What outfitting area did you buy ?
Old 02-13-2021, 09:47 AM
Banned

When I talked to him last year he was doing stone hunts for 40k
Stay til you get one
Old 02-13-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Stay til you get one
Well that’s more in line with making some profit anyway. But you’ll never know what they did or didn’t do.

I know two guys that went for $15K with another outfit, but maybe others got that high ?

Again, they’ll do what they have to do I guess.

I sure as hell wouldn’t be selling those quota hunts at those prices, not when I could sell them for $50-60K the next year or year after to regular clients again
Old 02-13-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Stay til you get one
Well that’s more in line with making some profit anyway. But you’ll never know what they did or didn’t do.

I know two guys that went for $15K with another outfit, but maybe others got that high ?

I sure as hell wouldn’t be selling those quota hunts at those prices, not when I could sell them for $50-60K the next year or year after to regular clients again
Old 02-13-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post

Yea for sure Jeff.
Pretty tough on all outfitters. I guess with the BC system where the quota is run on a 5 year term the outfitter may be in a situation where selling the hunts at a discount would be beneficial if it was the last year of their 5 year quota.
Hopefully our great leader JT opens the border for this fall!
Old 02-13-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
Yea for sure Jeff.
Pretty tough on all outfitters. I guess with the BC system where the quota is run on a 5 year term the outfitter may be in a situation where selling the hunts at a discount would be beneficial if it was the last year of their 5 year quota.
Hopefully our great leader JT opens the border for this fall!
The unused quota for the years with the border closed will be spread out over the next 5 year quota term which begins in 2022.

For example if I had 10 stone sheep on quota for 2020 that I couldn’t use, I’d get 2 extra each year for 2022-2026 making up for those 10 I lost.

The same that’s supposed to be happening in Alberta from what I hear. Whatever allocations that weren’t used can be carried over to the following years. What the dispersal would look like I haven’t heard. I was shocked to see what some guys sold hunts for in Alberta this year, I would have saved those hunts for when it opens.

Fingers crossed JT opens it up for sure ! This is getting frustrating to say the least
Old 02-13-2021, 11:35 AM

Guided hunts are worth exactly what someone is willing to pay. If that's 15k for a moose then so be it. If the hunter has fun, and makes memories he can call on when he is no longer able to do things, then damn right it is worth every penny. None of us should resent what ever an outfitter gets. They are entrepreneurs who take risks, and deserve whatever reward they can get.

Lots of us have issues with APOS and how they deal with lawbreaking members, but we should never transfer that anger to outfitters.

They are just dudes making a living by getting up and grinding no different than anyone else.

I would love to go on any guided hunt. Can't afford it at this stage of my life, but you never know.

Support CDN guides and outfitters. Covid has bodyslammed them bad.
Old 02-13-2021, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Guided hunts are worth exactly what someone is willing to pay. If that's 15k for a moose then so be it. If the hunter has fun, and makes memories he can call on when he is no longer able to do things, then damn right it is worth every penny. None of us should resent what ever an outfitter gets. They are entrepreneurs who take risks, and deserve whatever reward they can get.

Lots of us have issues with APOS and how they deal with lawbreaking members, but we should never transfer that anger to outfitters.

They are just dudes making a living by getting up and grinding no different than anyone else.

I would love to go on any guided hunt. Can't afford it at this stage of my life, but you never know.

Support CDN guides and outfitters. Covid has bodyslammed them bad.

My train of thought too.

I’d love to go on a horseback hunt for sheep but with 2 kids coming up on University and a wife who stays home supporting the 3 of us it isn’t going to happen in my lifetime. Doesn’t mean I don’t get out to do my share of hunting but a $40,000 trip is only a dream. I definitely don’t resent those who can do it though.
Old 02-13-2021, 12:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post

My train of thought too.

I’d love to go on a horseback hunt for sheep but with 2 kids coming up on University and a wife who stays home supporting the 3 of us it isn’t going to happen in my lifetime. Doesn’t mean I don’t get out to do my share of hunting but a $40,000 trip is only a dream. I definitely don’t resent those who can do it though.
A Resident hunt like that is less than half that price
Old 02-13-2021, 12:44 PM

I have hunted all my life. Lots of DIY hunts, actually guided for a couple of years when I was young and have done lots of guided hunts all over the world. Hunting is great fun, no matter which way you do it. If you can afford guided hunts, then definitely give them a try. Sure the experience is a little different than DIY but there is also much to learn and experience on guided hunts that you will never see otherwise. There are also a pot load of places you would never be able to hunt without using a guide so there is that as well. There is not a single hunt of any description that I regret having done.
Old 02-13-2021, 01:08 PM

So where does a guy start if he was interested in a stone sheep hunt? My 50th is not far off and I could never justify normal prices. Maybe something good (for me) could come out of this COVID debacle...

Would a guy get the same quality of hunt with prices being half off or would it be a reduced-price hunt?
Old 02-13-2021, 03:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
So where does a guy start if he was interested in a stone sheep hunt? My 50th is not far off and I could never justify normal prices. Maybe something good (for me) could come out of this COVID debacle...

Would a guy get the same quality of hunt with prices being half off or would it be a reduced-price hunt?
Start by making calls and sending emails now

Most are priced higher this year, than last year
At least they are right now

I don’t think you will find too many 15k stone sheep hunts
Old 02-13-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanden View Post
I took advantage of the covid situation in November and did a late season goat hunt with Bolen Lewis in November. Theyre a little pricier as far as goat hunts go, but I wouldn't hesitate to go again as it was an adventure of a lifetime and as stated above, you likely aren't going to draw the tag in alberta. I ended up shooting a goat with perfect winter hair that is currently at the taxidermist. I'm already saving up for the next one.
I just booked for Feb. 2022 with Last Frontier Hunting Company (Logan Hodson) who purchased the Bolen Lewis area right before COVID hit. Was your hunt still through Bolen Lewis, or with Logan?

I would love to see a pic of your goat. You can PM me if you'd prefer.
Old 02-13-2021, 04:11 PM

To answer the OP's original question, I have only been on 1 guided hunt so far which was in the NWT with Lancaster for Dall sheep in 2018. It was an amazing experience and I don't regret the decision to spend the money, which was around $30K all in including the hunt, tips, travel, some Kuiu clothes, and taxidermy. I understand that there is a significant portion of the population that can't spend that kind of money on a hunt, and I'm very fortunate to have been able to do that hunt, and it was literally a dream come true. I was also fortunate enough to go with my father who shot a bull moose on the same trip, and I was there with him when he got it. Very cool experience from beginning to end.

Since your budget is ~$7K, I think you'd be wise to put yourself on a bunch of cancellation lists, or think about a fly in fishing trip. I've never looked at Alberta guided hunts, but you may find an elk or moose outfitter in Alberta which may fit in your budget.

With all of this said, you may want to look at a really nice custom rifle that you can use on future adventures and pass on when you do. Just a thought.... It really depends if you want a "thing" or an experience.

I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you choose! Let us know what you finally decide on.
Old 02-13-2021, 07:59 PM

Best bang for your buck is a tur or ibex overseas. Here I would say it’s a free range aoudad hunt.
Old 02-13-2021, 08:07 PM

So who’s in for a 2022 ibex hunt?
Old 02-13-2021, 08:17 PM

You can do a lot of hunting with 7K. Four days of Doves and ducks in Argentina, stop on the way back for Whitetail deer and hogs in Texas, Guided Bass trip. Booked right it will cover air and hunt fees, or at least close.
Old 02-13-2021, 08:18 PM

Quote:
What Ibex you hunting for?
Old 02-13-2021, 08:21 PM

I’m thinking Kyrgyzstan
Old 02-13-2021, 08:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
You know I’m in!
Old 02-13-2021, 08:26 PM

Quote:
I’m thinking Kyrgyzstan
Just got a message from the guys we went with in 2018. Price for Ibex is 5K for 2021. Marco Polo 22K and add an Ibex for 3K.