Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-23-2021, 10:25 AM

Default Tikka T1x VS CZ

I am down to two rifles and looking for your opinions on the Tikka T1x vs CZ in both the .22 and .17HMR, rimfire....ONLY.

- problems
- accuracy
- dependability
- are they worth the money

Thanks in advance for looking...and participating....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 03-23-2021, 10:35 AM

The Tikka has the better trigger, both are reliable, the Tikka may have the edge in accuracy from what I have seen.
Old 03-23-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The Tikka has the better trigger, both are reliable, the Tikka may have the edge in accuracy from what I have seen.
In my readings the CZ triggers have all been replaced with after market ones, like Timney.
Tikka have the reputation of smooth and accurate. CZ is pretty accurate as well.

Both rifles are within $150-$225 of each other.

What I don't have is the personal/hands-on value from some owners.
Thanks Elk.....

Old 03-23-2021, 11:12 AM

Default I have friends that think the demise of Brno occured when CZ took over

I have owned several Brno model 2 rifles in .22 and they are above and beyond most 22 rifles for fit finish and accuracy. finding one seems to be the challenge.

having said that I have also owned several CZ 452 2E which is the model that replaced the model 2 brno. Often referred to as the CZ lux I find they are every bit as accurate as the brnos I have owned. if I had to criticize the CZ lux (while it is also a back hand compliment). The lux comes with a ladder rear site that is incredibly accurate beyond 100 meters. the downside is with high rear sight and high bolt clearance required scope mounting can be challenging or too high to suit me. The CZ American model comes ready for scope with no sights at all.

2 years ago I got a tikka T1X .22 and mounted a Leupold rimfire 2-7 which is now my go to gopher gun on the farm. I dont think you will be disappointed with either choice

Last edited by wwbirds; 03-23-2021 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-23-2021, 12:08 PM

I made a long post about my Tikka T1x about a year ago on here. I've pasted it below. New comments are inserted in red
When I talk about my CZ's, they are 452's. Most of my comments would also apply to the 455's. The newer 457's are fairly different. Maybe someone will chime in about them.

My old post starts here.
Any way here's my initial thoughts on the Tikka T1x.
I paid just over $600. Some places are selling them for over $700 now. I was at the CanTire on Southland and they still had them for $650 but that was a month ago. Prices are up.

The stock is short with a LOP of about 13 1/4. Some guys will buy a thicker pad. Some will use an old slip on pad that they have laying around . I've been eyeing an aftermarket stock. B&C makes one. Boyds offers some as well. Anyway, expect to spend some money to lengthen the stock.
I'm using a T3x stock on my T1x. The LOP fits me better. The 'shoehorn' from the T1x screws in to the T3x stock nicely.

Aesthetically, it's a blued barrel with a typical Tikka plastic stock. So, it's nothing fancy and you don't have to worry about scratching it up on the truck mirror. My personal preference would be to have a barrel that is slightly longer than the 20 inch barrel on my gun. To me, it doesn't look quite right, but that's a pretty minor complaint. It has a threaded barrel with a thread protector. I don't see the need for a threaded barrel. We can't use a suppressor. I can't see installing a tuner on a gopher gun. But again, this is a small complaint that is easy to overlook.

Magazines. I've read people complain about the 'guppy belly' look of the magazines. It doesn't bother me. My magazines work well. They hold 10 rounds like they are supposed to and all 10 rounds load into the chamber. I've read complaints about peoples' magazines not holding all 10 rounds and/or not loading the last round. Mine has been fine.
My only magazine complaint is that I have to be careful that it clicks into place. I've had the magazine fall out a couple of times. Thankfully, this was at the range and not in the middle of a pasture. I'm more careful now and always check it with a firm pull. Hopefully it improves with age.
The magazine is functioning perfectly.

Trigger. The trigger is completely adequate for me. I could only adjust mine down to 2lb, but I set my hunting triggers at 2.5 so this was not an issue. Springs are available if you want lower weight. Most people report being able to adjust their stock triggers lower than the 2lb that mine went to.
I own several CZ's. Every one has required a trigger spring and/or shim. Not sure what a kit goes for now, but expect to spend some money on the trigger if you get a CZ. YMMV

Scope mounting. CZ's have a high bolt throw and getting a scope mounted low to the barrel can be an issue. This issue does not exist with the Tikka. Get the 11mm rings of your choice in the right height and you should be good to go.

Accuracy. No issues with my gun. I know that I haven't sent a lot of ammo downrange yet, but things are looking good. My standard for 22lr hp high velocity ammo is 3/4 inch at 50yds. Minimum of five, preferably 10, 5 shot groups in my tests. Finding ammo to meet that standard has been pretty easy.
I've fired a bunch of mid grade target ammo through my T1x. I've been pleased with the results at both 50 and 100yds. Getting sub moa at 50 is fairly easy. At 100yds, 1 1/4 inch would be a reasonable expectation. Keep in mind that I am a poor shot compared to most guys on the internet.

Overall, I'm happy with the T1x. If you get one, expect to be pleased. IMO
I'm still very happy with the Tikka. Between my T1x and my 452's, I'd honestly have to call it a toss up.
Old 03-23-2021, 12:48 PM

I’ve got both the .22 and the .17 in the T1x and love them. Extremely accurate guns.

Jim...
Old 03-23-2021, 01:25 PM

The T1X stock is simply horrible. I added a takeoff T3 recoil pad to adjust the length of pull and had to order a wider slip-on forend for a T3X to cover the skinny forend. And order a cheekriser. The factory stock does not come sized for an adult male IMO. I still might order a proper stock from Boyds.

Accuracy is good. 1 MOA or less out to 100m with good ammo.

It's a Tikka so no trouble adjusting the trigger to where you like or you can get a spring to go even lighter. You can also get a flat magazine bottom that is more flush but that reduces the capacity to 7 rounds.

Are they worth the money? Yes, but you will have to tweak it a bit to your liking. I paid $740. If the price was higher I would look for something else.

Last edited by Buckhead; 03-23-2021 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:44 PM

For the trigger, it depends on which model CZ you get, the 452 and 455 are not that adjustable although a Yo-Dave trigger kit will help with trigger weight and creep immensely, it will not cure the overtravel though. The newest model 457 has a fully adjustable trigger and can be made very nice. The Tikka can be lightened with an aftermarket spring, several companies make them, Yo-Dave being a Canadian one. Creep and overtravel are not adjustable but are good from the factory, I have never heard a complaint with these triggers. There is something to be said for the wooden stocks that are available on the CZ's, the Tikka's are not a very attractive rifle. Both rifles have their proponents.

I have a CZ 452 that I really like, with a Yo-Dave trigger kit the trigger is set at 18oz with no creep but lots of overtravel. I just got back from the range, top row is CC! mini-mag, bottom is SK rifle match ammo. Usually the CCI mini-mag shoots better, it is cold here 0 C, maybe it is why they opened up, all groups are five shots at fifty yards.

20210323_131549 by Piker Golf, on Flickr

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-23-2021, 01:45 PM

Only way I'd buy the Tikka is if I got a screaming deal. At same price as a CZ I'll still take the CZ every time. I dont like all-plastic guns and the Tikka is just one step up from the Winchester Wildcat in that respect.

I own 9 CZ rimfires from early 452 ZKE Lux to 455 stainless lux. 17hmr, 22wmr, and 22LR. Have owned 2 457's as well but found them a bit big for a rimfire. Of the 11 I own or have owned only one needed a trigger mod and a $15 MCarbo spring replacement that took less than 5 minutes to change out made it perfect. Grandkid could have done it.

CZ will require more break in to get really nice but once they're there? Nirvana. I polish my bolts to speed up the process.

If you want wood the Tikka is out. Half of my CZ's are in the "spectacular" wood category.

The Tikka will go down in value. The right CZ won't. $700 plus for the Tikka now in many shops. Way too much for Teflon. Good used CZ will run you $525 - 600 and will never value lower.

Accuracy is vg with every CZ I own. 5 inside a dime and 5 inside a loonie with 17hmr at 50 and 100 yds. Same at 50 with the .22 and I have 2 22's that will group 5 inside a dime every time at 50.

I'm biased obviously but the cheapness of the Tikka is a no go for me. Wouldn't care how it shot. If you want to play with stock options and go more Tacticool buy the Tikka.

Shiny black plastic or...

Last edited by 270person; 03-23-2021 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
In my readings the CZ triggers have all been replaced with after market ones, like Timney.
Tikka have the reputation of smooth and accurate. CZ is pretty accurate as well.

Both rifles are within $150-$225 of each other.

What I don't have is the personal/hands-on value from some owners.
Thanks Elk.....
I have owned several CZ 452 rifles in 22lr and 17hmr, all were fairly accurate, but all had triggers that needed work,it may come down to whether you prefer wood stocks or plastic. .
Old 03-23-2021, 02:17 PM

CZ!
Old 03-23-2021, 02:42 PM

All things considered you can probably get a nice used Annie for what I am going to spend on a T1X.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:03 PM

No experience with Tikka, but lots with CZ.

My son & I have 3 in .22LR & .17HMR. All very accurate to longer distances and a pleasure to shoot. Good fit and finish, function smoothly, and no issues to date. Spent very little time comparing ammo to find what they like to digest.

My CZ .22 is my go-to long range rimfire and my sons .17 is his. Long range for a rimfire in the gopher patch in my world is anything out past 100yds.

Get a real kick out of watching my son take gophers with his .17. His best was a measured 165 yds.

Can't go wrong with CZ.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:28 PM
Banned

I’ve had a CZ 22 and if I was to buy another one it would be the Tikka. One of the main reasons for this is that it sits in a t3 stock. Any stock option/accessory you can get for the t3 will also fit the t3. Accuracy is a wash with both being as accurate as you’ll get for under $1000, but if I had a copious amount of disposable income I’d be buying a vudoo.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:48 PM

Vudoo all the way. Crazy precision rifle.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:51 PM

Another vote for CZ. To be fare I have zero experience with Tika. With the 457 the trigger can be fine tuned to your liking in short order and they are very accurate. If you like plastic stocks there's the Synthetic version, if you like wood stocks CZ can have some of the finest.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:51 PM

Have 2 left handed cz 452 rifles. Factory triggers aren’t great but can be tuned with a kit.

Overall very happy with them.

Haven’t experienced a tikka but I know my next will most likely be an anschutz
Old 03-23-2021, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Vudoo all the way. Crazy precision rifle.
Sure. Find me one for $1,000 and I'll be all over it.
Old 03-23-2021, 08:07 PM

Well OP, I might need some gopher-shooting tips if I'm going to share this amazing advice.. lol

To be honest, I'm starting to shy away from threads where I'm tempted to try and talk someone into, or out OF a certain model of gun. This should be easy though, as both CZ and Tikka make great rifles..and I'm a fan of both. Until about a year ago, I'd have answered this question "CZ" and that would have been great advice. Today, I'd answer "Tikka". I may have shared this before, but I honestly love CZs and believe they're the best 22 rifle for the money. They're also probably the most handsome-looking 22 rifle out there if you ask me, well-made, accurate, lots to love. Then things got complicated. I finally bought a Tikka centerfire (204 Varmint) and was struck by how accurate it was with factory ammo, how beautifully the bolt cycled, how good the trigger was (and how easily/cheaply/quickly it could be upgraded) etc. However, for every centerfire round I shoot, I probably shoot 250 rounds of 22 (with a CZ 452). Every outing, with either rifle, got me mentally comparing the two. Every time.

Decided to go look at a T1x, and even though the stocks are the very same ones used on the T3x (minus a recoil pad, + a plastic barrel shim) the gun had a bit of a cheap look to it. At least, when reflecting on the $740 price tag. Easy pass, but more time behind the T3x forced me to reconsider-that gun shoots amazingly well. After a few more visits without buying...I broke down and took a chance. Other than the bolt lacking that "Tikka" feel, the gun functioned perfectly, and as I'd read about them..it took less than 200 rounds for the bolt to improve immensely. Now it's buttery-smooth. These are the guns I'm mostly comparing below.

- problems-no problems with either, though as a newer shooter at the time, it took some digging to figure-out the best scope/ring combo that would look good, and not sit a mile high. I'm a slow study, but the process almost made me regret the CZ idea. I mostly have steel magazines for the CZ, but having tried a 10 round polymer, I wish they all were polymer. My steel 10-rounders didn't all like to work well with 10 rounds in them, the polymer 10 rounders cooperate. I wouldn't call it a "problem", but as much as I love CZs, the action feels a bit clunky and stiff compared to the Tikka. The same could be said about the trigger. Some may disagree, but I think the CZ demands a quicker, more assertive cycling effort from the shooter. The tikka feels more refined and smooth, the bolt closes with a fraction of the effort. (at least with loads like CCI Blazer, which my varmint loves)

- accuracy-the CZ is pretty accurate with ammo it likes, the Tikka I have shoots an incredible variety of ammo, accurately. Including a couple of HV loads. (loves CCI Velocitor) I love 452s, but this Tikka scores better most days. I could be the weak link of course.

- dependability-identical (though there is never any grief with the Tikka magazines)

- are they worth the money-yes, I think you're getting great value in both cases. The CZ wins the beauty contest, every single time though.

Just my opinions, worth what you paid for them.
Old 03-23-2021, 10:13 PM

I bought a used cz 452 a few years ago when I got sick of my 10/22’s lack of accuracy. It came with a trigger upgrade so I can’t speak to the “poor” factory triggers, although my 455 in 17 hmr didn’t have that bad of a trigger either. The only ammo I’ve ever fed it is the cheap bulk federal. Initially I put a 2x scope on it and at 50 yards rested over a log it shot like this.

Then I installed a 4x leupold in tally rings and sighted it in. This was ten rounds. It would of been three but they hit the same hole so I dumped the whole magazine. For size reference thats printed on a A4 sheet of paper.

Those are the only two times I’ve ever shot paper with it but it’s hell on wheels for gophers and grouse.

No experience with the tikka but I haven’t wanted any other rimfire since I got this one.
Old 03-23-2021, 10:45 PM

I will admit Tikka makes a nice rifle just remember CZ's wear in, not out. As for trigger Issues ( I have 8 ) I have never had an issue and I have 2 yo Dave trigger packages which have never gone into the rifles. I find after a few bricks of shells the CZ triggers are just fine. Plus wood beats plastic every time.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-24-2021, 08:39 AM

Hi everyone;

Knock me over with a feather.

The all responses in the thread are second to none and I am very appreciative of all the comments and not one derail in the lot....This has to be a first....lol

I am going with the CZ .22 and 17HMR and will try to find thumb-hole stocks; I find they really lockup into the shoulder.

Thanks very much for all of your time.....

Old 03-24-2021, 11:05 AM

Default OK you aksed for it, first derail

"Looking for thumbhole stock" means you are pistol gripping a fine rifle????
Old 03-24-2021, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
"Looking for thumbhole stock" means you are pistol gripping a fine rifle????
Hahahaha, I hope all is well....?

Old 03-25-2021, 09:25 PM

P&d enterprisehad a good selection when I bought mine last year. I was in your boat. Tikka vs CZ. In the end I walked out with a 457 royal, 17hmr. It was great to put my hands on several of the models as I didn’t know about the royal. Shoots great and glad I chose it. My friend has the tikka and they are accurate too.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:05 AM

Thanks for all your opinions and the advice on thumbhole stocks....Very compelling.

In the end, the CZ with the standard wooden stock(s) got my vote......on both the .22 and the 17HMR.

Cheers everyone......

Old 03-26-2021, 10:37 AM

Check out Prophet River Firearms in Lloyd, they have a good website and are amazing to deal with. They have a 22LR CZ 457 thumbhole in stock right now.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:11 AM

I have both, the Tikka T1X and new CZ 457 Varmint MTR - both in 17 HMR

- both insanely accurate

- Tikka probably still has an edge for the better trigger. However, many of the comments above regarding triggers apply to the older CZ 452 and 455. The new 457 is fully adjustable and a very nice trigger

- Tikka a touch less expensive

- The CZ feels more robust, has more weight, feels more stable, and the stock is a big step up from the flimsy feeling plastic Tikka stocks.
- The cheap plastic Tikka stock does not seem to affect it's incredible accuracy.

- Bolt throw has traditionally much better on the Tikka vs the old 90 degree CZ's. But, the 457 has also now gone to a 60 degree bolt. No more knuckle bashing on that big target / varmint scope.
Old 03-28-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sako75 View Post

- Tikka a touch less expensive
Not if you compare same style/features to same style/features they aren't. You're comparing a near top end CZ to I assume a 20" barrel T1x.

$150 - 170 more for the Tikka vs a syn stock 455 and if you know where to buy a new 457 17hmr American wood stock will run $550 + gst. $100-150 less than the Tikka.
Old 04-10-2021, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
I am down to two rifles and looking for your opinions on the Tikka T1x vs CZ in both the .22 and .17HMR, rimfire....ONLY.

- problems
- accuracy
- dependability
- are they worth the money

Thanks in advance for looking...and participating....
For base models, I'd give Tikka the edge, but I have two CZ MTRs (one .17 one .22) and they're excellent. Especially like the tunability of the trigger, and the hmr is consistently sub MOA accurate.