Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-31-2021, 08:44 AM

Default Gun #2 - over under rifles

After a few years I finally convinced my wife to let me get a second rifle. In no small part due to some help from a bear I woke up last year, and convincing her that a bolt action would only allow me a single shot.
(I am well aware of the reality, the bear ran the other direction, but she is convinced so moving on)
I currently have a long range 308 setup with a Lithgow la 102 that is more than capable of punching out to 4-500 yards, though I am not.

For rifle number 2 I was looking for something that would be better in the heavy Bush and the short distance. To this end I was looking at lever actions, semi-automatics, and most recently over under rifles after discovering some second hand.
Lever actions are currently difficult to find. Discussing with some of the gun shops there is an importation shortage due to covid supply chain disruption. There is not really any word on when Henry's will be available in stock, and I am wary of the Rremlins. Not a fan of the continual unloading every single time I go on a hunt either.

Semi-automatics are still in the running, however the only thing I've really seen that is available after the gun ban are Browning bars and Russian SKS. The first appears to be awful to disassemble to clean and the latter has someone questionable accuracy after 100 to 200 m.

Here's where the over-under comes in. There's a possibility now of getting the traditional offering of a 12 gauge over your centerfire caliber, or of getting two over under rifled barrels and 30066 or 308. These are by Italian manufacturers, namely Fair, Fabarm, and Bettinsoli. All three of him I know very little about in terms of accuracy and reliability. well there is some reading to be done on their shotguns there's very little available on their rifled barrels.

Does anyone here have experience with over under rifles, either with two rifled barrels or with a single shotgun barrel? How has your experience been?
Old 03-31-2021, 10:33 AM

Chapius and Rizzini are two more to look at
Old 04-01-2021, 07:47 AM

Quote:
For rifle number 2 I was looking for something that would be better in the heavy Bush and the short distance
Quote:
and the latter has someone questionable accuracy after 100 to 200 m.
Contradicting yourself there a little. SKS is still viable option.
Old 04-01-2021, 09:25 AM

Marlin 1895 in 45/70 is the bush gun the get IMO. If you're gonna shoot a bear, might as well make sure it'll do more than just tick it off. Stainless synthetic and short barrel...I think its called the Trapper edition.

The problem I have with the over under/combination guns is they're single shots. If a bear is rushing me, I know I'd panic and forget which trigger is the shot vs rifle and end up wasting both rounds and then its just a paperweight. I'd much rather have a three more 45/70's ready to go IMO.

Idk about the guns you specifically mentioned but I can't imagine any situation where I'd want one 12g shell and one .308. If I'm bear hunting, I'm bear hunting and not gonna waste time picking off pigeons along the way.
Old 04-01-2021, 12:09 PM

I am a big fan of drillings, double rifles and combination guns. As far as one shotgun barrel and one rifle barrel, pretty easy to load a slug in the shot barrel. Many of the better combo guns come with a second set of shotgun barrels to give you a regular O/U. My Brno is 7x64R over 12 gauge and then a second set of ported 12 gauge barrels. You can pick up used combos and double rifles for real good prices. the one below with both barrel sets should be easy to find in the $1,600 range.

I also have levers and other guns but there is nothing wrong with combo or double rifles for dangerous game or general hunting. Double rifles were the stopper gun for dangerous game in Africa for 200 years, and still are.

Here is a thread I did on my newest combo.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=395510

Picture of what the second 12 gauge ported barrels look like.

Old 04-02-2021, 10:33 PM

Checkout Tradexx, he has had some o/u's available, some used , lots of new stuff can be had, Wolverine in MB can access merkel, Haenel, Ellwood Epps, Chapuis can be had in Calgary, along with Zoli and Merkel and Kreighoff and Sabatti from CSC, Bilozir, Korth has Fabarm dist now. Ralf Martini may have something. See something you like on Guns Int'l, or Gunbroker, it can be brought in thru Prophet River or Irunguns. They are around, not in big numbers, but, can be had.
Old 04-02-2021, 11:00 PM

I have owned three over under rifles, a Brno 308, a Valmet 9.3x74R, and a FAIR in 6.5x55
Loved them all and would buy another if I was looking for another rifle .
Cat
Old 04-03-2021, 12:17 PM

I had a female Grizz charge me. I was on a quad , pinned er and made a safe escape. Honestly I don't think you would get off more then two shots......"to re phrase i don't think i could" others might ....??
Old 04-06-2021, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrunner View Post
Lever actions are currently difficult to find. Not a fan of the continual unloading every single time I go on a hunt either.
Both Savage and Browning make a lever action with a clip.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:44 PM

November 2020 Ruger purchased Marlin.
Haven't heard what they've decided to do with Marlin.
Ruger doesn't have a lever action so I expect lever action Marlins to be around.