Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-07-2021, 10:54 PM

Default Mid size atvs

Looking at an atv this year. Don’t need or want a high displacement machine and want to stay with something in the 400-500 range. Have really been interested in the Yamaha Kodiak 450eps. On the other hand for the price point I’ve been hearing a lot of CFMoto. Definitely a heavier machine but the extras you get like a factory installed winch, alloy rims, Bosch fuel injection, ctech transmission and longer than a 6 month warranty etc...all at a lower price point are hard bat an eye at. Talked to a local dealer who sells both Yammy and CFMoto and he said they sell more CFMotos because of the price and extras. Isn’t really much online about reliability of the CFMoto. Has anyone here had experience with them? Not interested in Cat Polaris Can Am or Hondas. Pretty much at this point it’s CFMoto for the price point or the Kodiak for the name it has behind it. I’m not afraid of trying something new as I’ve tried a lot of lesser known products and been happy with them. Just nothing in the 5-7000$ range.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:51 AM

I have a 2005 Yam Kodiak 450 that I bought new and it never had a winch on it. After a couple of trips where I needed to winch out of a old creek bottom or flip over backwards I had a warn winch installed. years later I needed a new winch and the best price I found was at Bass Pro.
It is the old carb job and has never let me down. Buddy is always saying with his fuel injection he never needs to use the choke to start it but for me it is no big deal.
The biggest issue I have had is with going through rear axle bearings.
Seems to me the rear axle bearing/seals are to small for the size of the tires. Also I seem to go through lots of mud so that is hard on them.
I also had to change out the front tie rods as I had one pop off on me. Was able to hammer it back on to get home
I like the diff lock. Push the magic button and the two front wheels lock up. I have heard that they took the diff lock off some of the new machines. For me having a diff lock would be a deal breaker,
Old 04-08-2021, 08:00 AM

I have owned a honda 450 foreman since 2001. also have a 400 foreman . Not the fastest but get me where i want. Easy maintain and starts easy even in winter. The electric shift can be finicky but take it apart clean it and put in some different grease its smooth as silk!!
Old 04-08-2021, 08:30 AM

I have never used a CFMoto, in fact have barely heard of them. I do know that when I am 20 miles back from the road I value reliability above all else and I will pay extra to get it. The Yamahas we have run have been great machines, My brother is still running a carb version of the Kodiak with manual shift. Great rig, nothing but oil changes and tires. It doesn't take long to eat up the price difference in repair bills. If it matters, resale on the Yamaha will be a bunch easier, as would finding parts if you ever needed them. My final reason to not buy CFMoto is they are made in China and I refuse to buy anything made in China if I can possibly avoid it.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotwade View Post
I have owned a honda 450 foreman since 2001. also have a 400 foreman . Not the fastest but get me where i want. Easy maintain and starts easy even in winter. The electric shift can be finicky but take it apart clean it and put in some different grease its smooth as silk!!
And, being a Honda . . . it doesn't have a belt!

"Belts are for holding your pants up" . . .
Old 04-08-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Lice View Post
And, being a Honda . . . it doesn't have a belt!

"Belts are for holding your pants up" . . .

Guys, try to stick to what the OP asked. He SPECIFICALLY said he wasn't interested in Honda. So even though I think they are the best ATV for hunting and back country use there is little point in discussing that if the OP doesn't want one for whatever reason. Try to stick to CFMotto and Yamaha Kodiak in order to help him out.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Guys, try to stick to what the OP asked. He SPECIFICALLY said he wasn't interested in Honda. So even though I think they are the best ATV for hunting and back country use there is little point in discussing that if the OP doesn't want one for whatever reason. Try to stick to CFMotto and Yamaha Kodiak in order to help him out.
Thanks Dean! I’m not worried about any thing on the Yamaha. More or less just curious about CFMoto if anyone’s used them and what their reliability is like because of the huge price difference and upgrades.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:14 AM

The issue with the Chinese stuff is parts. Everyone I know who bought one, said the same thing. Getting parts when you need them can be a real hassle and take a lot of time.

Buy the 450 Kodiak and forget about it. I am looking at a 700 Grizz SE, the SE comes with tires, rims and a winch. My brochure shows the Kodiak offers the SE model here in Cannuckville. Has the same upgrades.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:38 AM

Why would anyone even consider a made in China quad compared to a yamaha or honda. I would gladly pay the extra up front instead of repairs or being stranded somewhere. Than if you ever do sell it at least it's worth something also. Theres a reason you've never heard of it.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
Why would anyone even consider a made in China quad compared to a yamaha or honda. I would gladly pay the extra up front instead of repairs or being stranded somewhere. Than if you ever do sell it at least it's worth something also. Theres a reason you've never heard of it.
X2
Old 04-08-2021, 10:23 AM

We have a 2008 kodiak and its still going strong.
A friend has the 500 grizzily also another good atv.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
We have a 2008 kodiak and its still going strong.
A friend has the 500 grizzily also another good atv.
If I had a choice between buying something from China or something manufactured almost anywhere else I wouldn’t be buying the Chinese model.

Unfortunately these days you don’t get a choice so when I do get one I take the made anywhere else option.

In this case the Kodiak is a far superior machine and if you ever need parts you’ll be able to get them. Everything breaks down sooner or later. Well, except for my 2003 Honda but maybe you like working on things...lol!
Old 04-08-2021, 12:01 PM

Ive been running a Suzuki 500 for 19 years and its unbelievably reliable.
My choice is Suzuki or Yamaha.
Old 04-08-2021, 04:55 PM

I've run Suzuki for about 20 years, just as good as Yamaha but I find the Suzuki more comfortable. Bought the wife a 500 a couple years ago, nice quad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190414_114036_resized_1.jpg (65.4 KB, 92 views)
Old 04-08-2021, 06:43 PM

Fordtruckin as per photo, we are a thinker couple but the seats are large enough that its not bad if we do double. You just have to find the right quad box. Witch every quad you decide on at the dealer you should set a quad box on and see how it is to sit double. Happy shopping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190802_141641_resized_2.jpg (83.2 KB, 117 views)
Old 04-08-2021, 09:08 PM

Looks good Curtz thank you. Which quad boxes do you have if you don't mind me asking? Just showed the wife and she likes the look of them. Shall see what happens.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Looks good Curtz thank you. Which quad boxes do you have if you don't mind me asking? Just showed the wife and she likes the look of them. Shall see what happens.
My quad box is a trail boss and the wifes is a kimpex.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:39 PM

The front racks I spent a few hours in the garage building them, getting the angles right.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:08 AM

A coworker bought a Chino several years ago. After a year, it had a lot of Rhino parts in it. I think it ended up costing him as much to own the Chino and he still had a POS.

Gerry Burnie
Old 04-09-2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtz View Post
The front racks I spent a few hours in the garage building them, getting the angles right.
Rolled expanded metal welded at every contact point . . . bungee anywhere.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:30 PM

I would recommend the Yamaha, i had a 2003 450 Kodiak and put on over 9000km. All same belt and brake pads. The Yamaha clutch system is not like the Polaris or Can-Am, it is a wet type system. So you will never burn out a belt on them. I have been riding with all manufactures and they all work and ride fine, i put on over 3000km+- per year, winter and summer. But for CF Moto there price point is very good plus the extras, but i would not buy one if a Yamaha is in your same price range. The reliability and easy for maintenance on the yamahas are best in the industry. You can pick up a cheap winch from Canadian tire or Princess auto and are not difficult to install your self. Plus with Yamaha, you will get a used price when you want to sell it later, the CF moto resale is not great.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:30 AM

I now live by the motto - Pay Nice or Pay Twice.
I rather pay more for a quality product than something cheap.
Old 04-10-2021, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawhide View Post
I would recommend the Yamaha, i had a 2003 450 Kodiak and put on over 9000km. All same belt and brake pads. The Yamaha clutch system is not like the Polaris or Can-Am, it is a wet type system. So you will never burn out a belt on them. I have been riding with all manufactures and they all work and ride fine, i put on over 3000km+- per year, winter and summer. But for CF Moto there price point is very good plus the extras, but i would not buy one if a Yamaha is in your same price range. The reliability and easy for maintenance on the yamahas are best in the industry. You can pick up a cheap winch from Canadian tire or Princess auto and are not difficult to install your self. Plus with Yamaha, you will get a used price when you want to sell it later, the CF moto resale is not great.
I don't generally buy things with resale value in mind. By the time I'm done with them they aren't worth much anyhow.

Good to know about your Yamaha experience. Most people rag on them for their belt system yet I've never actually heard of anyone having a belt go bad when proper maintenance has been kept up with. A lot of the naysayers on the belt system say don't do it for x y or z reason, yet have never had that system or x y or z happen to them. By that reasoning, I shouldn't buy anything but a solid rubber tire because I might get a flat 20 miles back on those pneumatic types...
Old 04-10-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I don't generally buy things with resale value in mind. By the time I'm done with them they aren't worth much anyhow.

Good to know about your Yamaha experience. Most people rag on them for their belt system yet I've never actually heard of anyone having a belt go bad when proper maintenance has been kept up with. A lot of the naysayers on the belt system say don't do it for x y or z reason, yet have never had that system or x y or z happen to them. By that reasoning, I shouldn't buy anything but a solid rubber tire because I might get a flat 20 miles back on those pneumatic types...

Never had an issue with the Yamaha belt system but it is very different than most belt drive systems. Have had TONS of issues with the Polaris belt drives. Problem with a lot of stuff on the internet is you get opinions from guys that don't have actual experience with them, they just repeat what they have read. They also don't understand the large differences from one make to another, like in this case where people think all belt drives are the same.

There were for quite a few years, Chinese copies of The Honda TRX series of quads. They were nearly identical but they sure as heck weren't when it came to reliability. If you end up getting the CFMoto you will have to file an update down the road to let us know how it went.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:23 PM

If you’re talking quad boxes I really like the kimpex one with the foot rests. Makes riding much more comfortable for the person sitting there.

No issues in the 14 years this machine has been around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk