Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-20-2015, 05:48 PM

Default Cabelas firearms sales

It seems that Cabelas is running their own long gun registry. When you purchase a firearm at Cabelas they record the firearm serial number and the customers PAL number in their computer system. When I questioned the sales person about this he told me it would be deleted, ya right nothing is ever gone once it is in the system!
Other stores, WSS just verify the PAL and process the transaction.
Has anyone else experienced this?
RFAEMPK
Old 04-20-2015, 05:52 PM

They have with all of mine but when I asked they told me that they validate the pal on the computer and keep an in store record
Old 04-20-2015, 05:54 PM
Banned

Bass Pro and Wholesale do this as well. The reason I was given was for warranty purposes.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:00 PM

I bought guns forty some years ago from a place called Hoyts Hardware in Lethbridge. They used to register all gun purchases with purchasers name, address and firearm ser. no. Reason; warranty........ and this was long before any firearms registration was introduced. I didn't have a problem with it then
Old 04-20-2015, 06:00 PM

Call it what you want, it amounts to a registry. I won't be purchasing any firearms from them.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
Bass Pro and Wholesale do this as well. The reason I was given was for warranty purposes.
wss does not record your PAL. They just put a check mark in the column once they see your PAL.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:22 PM
Banned

I guess that depends who you deal with because they have done it to me twice now. Once they even called in to make sure it was still valid.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:27 PM

I have found most big stores will take your PAL number down, along with the serial number. Don't agree but as far as a registry goes it is kind of useless. The second I leave the store it is effectively obsolete. I also don't understand the warranty issue. If I am returning it to the store, the receipt is all that matters. If I am doing the warranty through the manufacturer I am responsible for registering it. If the stores want to waste there time let them.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Call it what you want, it amounts to a registry. I won't be purchasing any firearms from them.
Exactly. It's a pseudo registry. That business about warranty is a load of crap. Your receipt is your warranty. Buy it elsewhere if you can. When I buy powder I become Elvis Presley.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:39 PM

For me, personally, it is not a problem if "they" know I have a gun, or 10 guns. If the government one day decide we are not allowed to have guns anymore and send us a letter to hand them in at the nearest detachment, then I have no option but to oblige. If I have any rifles they do not know about, what will i be able to do with it? It will be illegal. So firstly I will be a criminal. Secondly I cannot legally hunt with it because driving/ carrying/ discharging the gun would expose me having a gun. Thirdly, shooting an intruder would then put me in more trouble because now I shot someone with an illegal gun. Unless you plan on shooting the intruder and "disposing" of the body. Which would put you in even more trouble yet
And I don't see a civil war breaking out in Canada anytime soon where the gov. would want to "disarm" the population in fear of being overthrown.
But thats just me!
Old 04-20-2015, 06:53 PM

Default records

If the rcmp want to know where all the guns went in the store the owner has to keep a record or his tag pulled,been that way for decades.That will never change .No big deal.

Last edited by JD848; 04-20-2015 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by newrteam View Post

If the rcmp want to know where all the guns went in the store, the owner has to keep a record or his tag pulled.

Been that way for decades.

That will never change .No big deal.
That... Would be a "registry", regardless who is in possession of it.

And yes, it IS a big deal...

Old 04-20-2015, 08:07 PM

Just bought a shotgun from Sail (Quebec) last week. E-mailed them copies of both sides of my PAL.

Couldn't. Care. Less.

Happy to do it, actually. Really good deal on Benelli Ultra Lights right now.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:14 PM
Banned

First of all Cabalas Canada is really not a Cabalas, but a S.I.R. operation out of Winnipeg. Visit one Cabalas in the U.S. and you will know what I mean.

I do not like what S.I.R. does to us Canadians.

Solution:

Go onto those bzillion U.S. gun sites and tell those good ol boys what is happening in Canada. Then tell them that Cabalas U.S. must be doing the same thing under the 2nd amendment to those very same good ol boys

I always love the responses from the other members.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:15 PM
Banned

Just bought a rifle from wss last week and all they wanted to see was my drivers license and my pal. Nothing was recorded.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
For me, personally, it is not a problem if "they" know I have a gun, or 10 guns. If the government one day decide we are not allowed to have guns anymore and send us a letter to hand them in at the nearest detachment, then I have no option but to oblige. If I have any rifles they do not know about, what will i be able to do with it? It will be illegal. So firstly I will be a criminal. Secondly I cannot legally hunt with it because driving/ carrying/ discharging the gun would expose me having a gun. Thirdly, shooting an intruder would then put me in more trouble because now I shot someone with an illegal gun. Unless you plan on shooting the intruder and "disposing" of the body. Which would put you in even more trouble yet
And I don't see a civil war breaking out in Canada anytime soon where the gov. would want to "disarm" the population in fear of being overthrown.
But thats just me!
Try looking up "Warsaw Ghetto Uprising" on Google. You might learn something !!
Old 04-20-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
First of all Cabalas Canada is really not a Cabalas, but a S.I.R. operation out of Winnipeg. Visit one Cabalas in the U.S. and you will know what I mean.

I do not like what S.I.R. does to us Canadians.

Solution:

Go onto those bzillion U.S. gun sites and tell those good ol boys what is happening in Canada. Then tell them that Cabalas U.S. must be doing the same thing under the 2nd amendment to those very same good ol boys

I always love the responses from the other members.

The thread is about Cabela's , not Cabalas.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guywiththemule View Post
Try looking up "Warsaw Ghetto Uprising" on Google. You might learn something !!
LOL!! You are comparing Cabelas writing down serial numbers with German occupied Poland during WW2. And you want me to snap out of it? But like I said, its just my opinion. I am not sure how long i will be able to hold off an army with my 10 bolt action rifles.

Polish: powstanie w getcie warszawskim; German: Aufstand im Warschauer Ghetto) was the 1943 act of Jewish resistance that arose within the Warsaw Ghetto in German-occupied Poland during World War II, and which opposed Nazi Germany's final effort to transport the remaining Ghetto population to Treblinka extermination camp. The most significant portion of the rebellion took place beginning on 19 April, but ended when the poorly supplied resistance was defeated by the German soldiers. This officially finished their operation to liquidate the Ghetto on 16 May. It was the largest single revolt by Jews during World War
Old 04-20-2015, 10:51 PM

Default cabelas

Should have your guns taken away from you just for buying anything at cabelas,along with a good visit to your doc and have your head checked.I do not like any of the big corps.Support your local small guys.If one is not near a small dealer, lots of great dealers online.Their the ones who stuck their necks out to start this whole deal decades ago,all at once the big corps come in and lots of people, not all forget about their local gun dealer,with all the new tech and stuff they can order almost anything.INFACT their is a new guy who just opened a week ago in winkler Manitoba call DOMINION OUTDOORS,owners name is TOM,he had small a store before and just moved into much bigger place.Went down with a few guys and purchased 3 shotguns and a couple rifles,great prices and very nice guy,that's the way I like to shop one on one with the owner.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:00 AM

Seems to me that at Basspro, it was a U.S. Form 4476 they had to fill out.
And with various states, and federal interstate regs in the U.S., they have pretty much what we have up here, they just don't call it registration down there ,but, there is state/federal paperwork involved in gun sales from stores, thru FFL's and etc. The stores have to be able to account for the sale of inventory. Stop and think, anyone who ever had a carry permit, a hunting licence, NRA or NFA member, gun club member, has probably registered themselves with the gov as a possible firearms owner, in one fashion or another. The info is out there, if the gov ever wants to gather it up.
Strikes me as a smoke show to say otherwise.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:50 AM

Why the paranioa? If a store wrote down the serial number when you bought a TV or a toaster, you'd be happy because they'd have a record of it in case you lost your receipt.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
Why the paranioa? If a store wrote down the serial number when you bought a TV or a toaster, you'd be happy because they'd have a record of it in case you lost your receipt.
So were you okay with the long gun registry?
Old 04-21-2015, 06:55 AM

WSS in calgary just looks at PAL, doesnt record it. but they record the serial number
Old 04-21-2015, 07:01 AM

The US has Federal Law which makes "1st point of sale registration" mandatory. Regardless of the State Law (or lack thereof), all licenced gun dealers must collect the information of all buyers on "NEW" purchases and forward that information to a National database. State Law then covers the rules pertaining to guns sales after that.

This point of sale registry was rejected by Harper when he refused to sign the G8 Firearms Initiative. Harper was the only G8 leader to refuse knowing it would have been very difficult to introduce any program to Canada that even smelled like a gun registry.

So since Cabelas and Basspro are American, they receive their legal advice and store policy from the American version and that is why the information is collected. Now if you want to be ****ed maybe look at Canadian owned stores that still collecting info as they are not being pressured by anyone.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So were you okay with the long gun registry?
Are you special enough that you do not have to produce a PAL when you purchase a firearm?

Go onto your favourite gun stores website, purchase a firearm, then get back to us on what was recorded.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-21-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Are you special enough that you do not have to produce a PAL when you purchase a firearm?

Go onto your favourite gun stores website, purchase a firearm, then get back to us on what was recorded.
Last time I bought an NR in-store, I showed my PAL (never left my hand), paid and left. So all that was recorded is the store changing the inventory status of the firearm.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
The US has Federal Law which makes "1st point of sale registration" mandatory. Regardless of the State Law (or lack thereof), all licenced gun dealers must collect the information of all buyers on "NEW" purchases and forward that information to a National database. State Law then covers the rules pertaining to guns sales after that.

This point of sale registry was rejected by Harper when he refused to sign the G8 Firearms Initiative. Harper was the only G8 leader to refuse knowing it would have been very difficult to introduce any program to Canada that even smelled like a gun registry.

So since Cabelas and Basspro are American, they receive their legal advice and store policy from the American version and that is why the information is collected. Now if you want to be ****ed maybe look at Canadian owned stores that still collecting info as they are not being pressured by anyone.
IIRC, before the adoption of the LGR, Canadian retailers were required to keep a 'ledger' containing firearm and buyer information regarding all sales. The requirement to keep a ledger was removed with the adoption of the LGR. When the LGR was eliminated the Provincial CFOs tried to require that retailers maintain the previous 'ledger system' for them, but this is (AFAIK) contrary to the provisions of the bill eliminating the LGR and most retailers (outside of Ontario & PQ) have refused to comply with the CFOs demands.

IMHO, we now have MORE security and privacy than we had before the Bill C-68 LGR, it is our job to keep it. Those who think registries are no big deal should study the worldwide history of gun registration in the 20th century.

Vote with your dollars, and do not support stores that record personal information. Never let your PAL out of your hand and NEVER send a fax or scan to anyone.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:31 AM

The last pair of Carhartt's I bought at Mark's....they asked for my name and address...

Should I be worried?
Old 04-21-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
IIRC, before the adoption of the LGR, Canadian retailers were required to keep a 'ledger' containing firearm and buyer information regarding all sales. The requirement to keep a ledger was removed with the adoption of the LGR. When the LGR was eliminated the Provincial CFOs tried to require that retailers maintain the previous 'ledger system' for them, but this is (AFAIK) contrary to the provisions of the bill eliminating the LGR and most retailers (outside of Ontario & PQ) have refused to comply with the CFOs demands.

IMHO, we now have MORE security and privacy than we had before the Bill C-68 LGR, it is our job to keep it. Those who think registries are no big deal should study the worldwide history of gun registration in the 20th century.

Vote with your dollars, and do not support stores that record personal information. Never let your PAL out of your hand and NEVER send a fax or scan to anyone.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Are you worried Cabelas will tell the government what you PAL number is?

-Billy Molls
Old 04-21-2015, 09:06 AM

In the era of electronic surveillance, if you think the long gun registry doesn't still exist somewhere, then you're a fool.