Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-15-2018, 09:06 PM

Default 7mm-08 headspace measurement

Does anyone have the printed headspace length measurement for the 7mm-08 case? I bought the hornady headspace comparator and it is not mentioned in my nosler reloading book. Thanks
Old 12-15-2018, 10:22 PM

What is it you are trying to accomplish?

-Billy Molls
Old 12-15-2018, 10:33 PM

You have the comparator! Do you have the 7mm-08 modified case and bullet seating depth gauge? That is what is needed, then you figure out your exact headspace using your bullet with the bullet jump that you want.
You want the headspace for that particular chamber and can be different for different types of the bullets ogive.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:02 PM

I'm fitting my cases so they snug up in my chamber and want to see where I am compared to the specs.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:01 AM

Just out of curiosity?

-Billy Molls
Old 12-16-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
I'm fitting my cases so they snug up in my chamber and want to see where I am compared to the specs.
Its admirable that you are curious as to where your rifles headspace is set, but let’s face it the exercise is pretty much pointless, as the headspace is what it is, unless you want to set your barrel back, and re do the headspace.

After your first firing your brass is set to your rifles headspace.

Determine your headspace and set your dies to manage your brass accordingly.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-16-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Does anyone have the printed headspace length measurement for the 7mm-08 case? I bought the hornady headspace comparator and it is not mentioned in my nosler reloading book. Thanks
https://saami.org/technical-informat...ami-standards/

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...-SAAMI_CFR.pdf
see page 50

The SAAMI 7-08R datum dia is .400", and case base to datum dimension = 1.634 (+.000-.007").
The .007" allowable spec tolerance is a LOT larger than typically recommended case shoulder bump for best accuracy and case life.
Practically, I agree with post #6. as suggested procedure can best manage SAAMI allowable chamber variation.

Headspace comparators are very useful to provide a 'relative' measurement, but IMHE are not accurate enough to properly measure 'absolute' head-space. A proper solid head-space GO gauge is much more accurate, and can be used to calibrate a comparator, and measure an actual chamber.

The Hornady comparator bushings have a square SAAMI datum sized shoulder, and can measure CBTD directly, but they are soft aluminum and can easily lose accuracy.
The Sinclair case bushings have a bevel matching the shoulder angle, and are made of much harder material.
IMHE, both require calibration against a solid GO gauge if an 'absolute' measurement is required, but for reloading purposes a 'relative' measurement is more useful, as we need to fit the resized case to the actual chamber, and not the spec dimension.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:40 AM

Thanks qwert. My once fired cases all measure between 1.619 and 1.621. With the majority being 1.620. Shorter than the 1.634 - .007 spec. I guess I will leave the shoulders alone and recheck after they are twice fired. I know the saami spec is not perfectly dead on to "my" chamber. I just wanted to see where I am in comparison to that number. Yes just out of curiosity. Thanks again
Old 12-16-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:

Most chambers are going to be a bit different, fire forming and neck sizing for your rifle is the best way to go.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:58 PM

So should I now write down my 1.620 and always come back to this measurement? It's hard to tell when the bolt starts to get some resistance because it cocks on bolt close. These cases will only be used in this rifle.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks qwert. My once fired cases all measure between 1.619 and 1.621. With the majority being 1.620. Shorter than the 1.634 - .007 spec. I guess I will leave the shoulders alone and recheck after they are twice fired. I know the saami spec is not perfectly dead on to "my" chamber. I just wanted to see where I am in comparison to that number. Yes just out of curiosity. Thanks again
IMHO, your ‘curiosity’ is a worthwhile exercise, well worth the time and effort of self-training. All new tools require familiarization to learn their individual peculiarities, accuracy, and usefulness, many tools perform very well in ‘off label’ usage and intended market. Once familiar with the abilities and achievable accuracy, results of other use will be easier to evaluate.

I do suggest you obtain a quality, solid, .08Win head-space GO gauge; it will gauge all the .08Win family.
Use it to calibrate your comparator & bushing, and accurately measure your individual chamber using various thickness tape applied to the base of the gauge. (IMHO, this is more accurate than the 2 gauge GO/NO GO procedure, which is more suitable for a production environment)

Compare your measured chamber with a case before and after fire-forming in your chamber, the difference is (probably) ‘spring-back’ which can vary with case hardness and other factors.
Then use the comparator to set your sizing die adjustment to partially resize the case for desired shoulder bump & fit in your chamber, (expect similar case ‘spring-back’ to occur).
Log your results for future use and comparison.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:22 PM

The GO gauge is next on my list. Thanks again for your help. I'm loging all of the measurements and will start comparing after they're fired again. I agree that my experience will benefit from doing the extra work now so I definitely don't mind being particular and going the extra mile. It is a learning experience trying to tune this thing in that's for sure.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
The GO gauge is next on my list. Thanks again for your help. I'm loging all of the measurements and will start comparing after they're fired again. I agree that my experience will benefit from doing the extra work now so I definitely don't mind being particular and going the extra mile. It is a learning experience trying to tune this thing in that's for sure.
Welcome to the affliction.

IMHO, use of proper measuring tools facilitates consistency & repeat-ability, which are the fundamentals of precision.

Good Luck, YMMV
Old 12-16-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
Most chambers are going to be a bit different, fire forming and neck sizing for your rifle is the best way to go.
No, it isn’t. FL resizing while in control of headspace is.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-16-2018, 01:51 PM

Default Agree

I agree. But this thread will go sideways if we open that up. Lol
QUOTE=303carbine;3894267]Most chambers are going to be a bit different, fire forming and neck sizing for your rifle is the best way to go.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-16-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks qwert. My once fired cases all measure between 1.619 and 1.621. With the majority being 1.620. Shorter than the 1.634 - .007 spec.
snip
Your comparator may be returning a lower than expected result due to the size or shape of the datum contact edge of the bushing.
If it is not perfectly square (or over spec diameter) it will under-report, and illustrates the possible inaccuracy of using an un-calibrated comparator.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:13 PM

Do I calibrate it with the GO gauge and find my comparators zero from the GO gauges spec?
Old 12-16-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Do I calibrate it with the GO gauge and find my comparators zero from the GO gauges spec?
There are several possible procedures and methods, but the solid GO gauge provides a way to measure the comparator indicated error, which can then be added to or subtracted from indicated to obtain true value.

Alternatively, it may be possible to zero @ the value of the indicated error and true value read directly, without requiring further calculation.

Caution, it is easy to get + & - values confused.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I agree. Neck sizing only works a couple times before needing a full length size, and now you have a new situation for your load. Full length sizing keeps it consistent.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
I agree. Neck sizing only works a couple times before needing a full length size, and now you have a new situation for your load. Full length sizing keeps it consistent.
Neck sizing has always worked best for me, about every five firings, I will FL and anneal the brass.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Why you say that Chuck ? don't like Neck sizing only ? Can you Explain ? RJ
Old 12-16-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Not ALWAYS It depends on how HOT ? PRESSURE your loads are ! RJ
Old 12-17-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
Why you say that Chuck ? don't like Neck sizing only ? Can you Explain ? RJ
It’s simple. Neck sizing provides no advantages in accuracy, it messed with consistency, and creates issues with chambering and extraction.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-17-2018, 06:46 AM

A quick search found this. Start watching at 11:20.

https://youtu.be/ZrTKhVPPi34

-Billy Molls
Old 12-17-2018, 08:24 AM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
It’s simple. Neck sizing provides no advantages in accuracy, it messed with consistency, and creates issues with chambering and extraction.
Yup, my opinion also,from my own experience with NS only.
I FL size ,button or bushing dies depending on the cartridge.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:09 PM
Banned

]
Quote:
Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
Not ALWAYS It depends on how HOT ? PRESSURE your loads are ! RJ
It is true that it depends on pressure that your load is loaded to. I loaded for the 7mm08 for many years by fire forming Remington brass with a load using Varget and a Speer 110 HP. I needed the extra case capacity of a Neck Sized case and had a couple of very accurate loads using this method. The secret is to work up the fire forming load so that the brass does not stretch past 0.4703" or Saami MAX CARTRIDGE DIMENSION at the 0.200" Datum line. Preferably the pressures of the fire forming load should be 0.001" under that, like most factory loads, as a FL die will likely just barely size the Base datum if you decide to FL size.

If you neck size then your load should be developed with only enough pressure as to not exceed the Saami Max Cartridge dimension of 0.4703" and then that dimension will not increase with subsequent firings as there will be at least 0.001" clearance at the base datum. The pressures will likely be low enough that there is good spring back at the shoulder as well. You may never have to FL size the brass.

As Chuck pointed out the preferred method is FL sizing as described in the video. If you FL size it is possible that brass will not be fully, fireformed to the Shoulder Datum at 0.400", on Factory rounds or properly designed fire forming load. Set your FL die by running it to the shell holder and back out one turn then size a brass and see if it will re chamber. If it does then reload and fire again and FL with die set out. If it does not fit back in then screw the die down in 1/8-1/4 turn increments until the bolt closes on it. Removing the Firing pin and Plunger Extractor help in getting this fine tuned. Once the bolt closes snugly, on the FL sized round, you can use your comparator to record the HS dimension for your rifle. It can then be used to get whatever HS clearance you want which I believe need be no more than 0.001". Your initial load, developed on the first FL sized case, may or may not require further tweaking but you are good to go for many firings on whatever brass you choose.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Neck sized brass will give the best fit for the rifle it was fired from, headspace should be perfect after a trim if needed.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Agreed!

These are the facts, not an opinion!
Old 12-17-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Neck sized brass will give the best fit for the rifle it was fired from, headspace should be perfect after a trim if needed.
No thanks.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-17-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
YUP Then when u load and fire it only the neck expands - Its actually A simple concept ! RJ