Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-03-2018, 05:56 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I had a friend by a Tikka T3 superlite in 300wsm last spring, he brought it over to sight in. After the first couple times shooting he decided he wanted a brake on it. He came back the third time with the brake installed, shot it off the bench and loved it.

Fast forward to this fall. I told him if he’s going to shoot that rifle with the brake on that he had better pack ear protection. “Naw, I won’t even notice the bang while I’m hunting......”

Well the moose ran out, the gun went boom.... boom.... boom.

Once we met up he unknowingly yelled “My ears are eff’d up! The first shot really hurt but the next two weren’t so bad”

His hearing was shot for two days then slowly started to recover. I’ll take recoil over hearing loss any day of the week.

Or a sweet 7-08 and don't really worry cuz it only takes one shot , a little bark and a slight nudge on the shoulder.....man on the range with a breaked rifle...loud and crap blowing all around it if shooter is not aware of what was around the barrel.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-03-2018, 07:34 AM

Ha,,, yes the good old days.

Anyone up for a Used Moose Ear recoil pad.

There the best.

Soft and fluffy on the outside,,, lots of crispy texture on the inside.

Funny how we managed things with things we couldn't buy or afford.

The good old leather glove or folded up ball cap trick worked good. Now it's all about the Gel recoil pad,,, oh Yha

Life is grand now days
Old 12-03-2018, 08:48 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
Ha,,, yes the good old days.

Anyone up for a Used Moose Ear recoil pad.

There the best.

Soft and fluffy on the outside,,, lots of crispy texture on the inside.

Funny how we managed things with things we couldn't buy or afford.

The good old leather glove or folded up ball cap trick worked good. Now it's all about the Gel recoil pad,,, oh Yha

Life is grand now days
That's the ones. I have one laying around here somewhere. Ugliest thing ever invented but I guess they worked.

Not fair for me to diss them when they were state of the art in their day.
But dang they sure could ruin the finish on a good stock.

George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by KegRiver; 12-03-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:23 AM

Ha, Yuppers,,, dam ugly to look at,,, but there nice to chew on between the shots.

The baseball glove was another fine option,,, the catchers mitt is challanging to work with.

Cuts recoil in half.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:22 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
Guys like you enjoy getting your two bit comments in about assuming something you have no clue about.,my client or guest were friend who asked me to take them hunting with us both having tags or only one,if my tags is used I can shot my friends bull if he is with me back then and is still the same today.These were all local res,but I figured to leave that out,just for the heck of it.
The 3 friends who were green horns lived in my home town and wanted a moose,so they wounded them and i finished the job off,party hunting you may shoot his moose as long as he is in shouting distance of me and I can shoot his bull specially if it is wounded,so where did you assume I was with an outfitter or private resort camp which I never mention at all with money being a part of it.

Any one I invited to my hunting camp in those days were guest or business clients like my john deer sales men from my home town who had a tag and never shot a moose and he hammered a big one. I took friends this summer on guided fishing trips,we all fished and enjoyed our days together,i got paid with a hug.Maybe you should call RCA.

So I responded to the first post and waited to tell you this,but you as a good honest friend which had already taken you stab without any response so I waited and nothing more.

I wrote this way hoping some other clown popped out,but the circus is wide on this forum with a few clowns who assume things they know nothing about,except shooting there rifles who hurt them for life and blame there poor judgement on other reason like it took me a long time to realize my bad habits.Those are your bad habits and yours alone,so own up for not knowing better and stop passing the buck to others who you have no business telling them what they need for a rifle.

So when I finish helping guide these friends I went hunting solo for the rest of my life .If these are insults then half the forum should be banned.Either way this is my last post so everyone take care.

Cheers JD
What are you so POd about. You put it on the net, not me. You said you guided you said you shot other peoples game and let them tag it.
That has never been legal.

I found that out the hard way so I posted a warning for you, and anyone else who might think it is legal, as I once did.

You seem to think I am trying to cause you trouble. I assure you, you are not worth the effort.

Let the chips fall where they may.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-03-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
What are you so POd about. You put it on the net, not me. You said you guided you said you shot other peoples game and let them tag it.
That has never been legal.

I found that out the hard way so I posted a warning for you, and anyone else who might think it is legal, as I once did.

You seem to think I am trying to cause you trouble. I assure you, you are not worth the effort.

Let the chips fall where they may.
a polite apology until the end... the more i read here, the more i realize that it could be any type of person typing away on the other end of a keyboard... but everyone is a person all the same... some people are really starting to build a reputation by running off their insults just because your real name is anonymous and protected by miles of internet wire. why dont people just discuss experiences, post questions and answers, and leave the personal degrading out of it.

Last edited by Nyksta; 12-03-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:27 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
a polite apology until the end... the more i read here, the more i realize that it could be any type of person typing away on the other end of a keyboard... but everyone is a person all the same... some people are really starting to build a reputation by running off their insults just because your real name is anonymous and protected by miles of internet wire. why dont people just discuss experiences, post questions and answers, and leave the personal degrading out of it.

Yeah I probably shouldn't have responded. But what's a guy to do.

By the time I read his post where he made those claims more then enough time had passed for any law enforcement to have read it, and if I had warned him via PM, it would do nothing for others who may think it legal as I used to.

I realize of course that I could have pretended to have not noticed. No one would know any different, and who knows, maybe no one would notice his mistake either.

But what kind of friend is that? Yeah no doubt he wants nothing to do with me. That is fine if that's his choice. As for me, I would still warn him even if I knew he felt that way.

It's the way I was raised to be.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-03-2018, 01:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Yeah I probably shouldn't have responded. But what's a guy to do.

By the time I read his post where he made those claims more then enough time had passed for any law enforcement to have read it, and if I had warned him via PM, it would do nothing for others who may think it legal as I used to.

I realize of course that I could have pretended to have not noticed. No one would know any different, and who knows, maybe no one would notice his mistake either.

But what kind of friend is that? Yeah no doubt he wants nothing to do with me. That is fine if that's his choice. As for me, I would still warn him even if I knew he felt that way.

It's the way I was raised to be.
I believe jd lives out east. Could be wrong though. Regulations out east allow party hunting I believe. Could be wrong again.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:57 PM
Banned

Irrelevant stuff for Sns2 to kindly remove from the thread? No one gives a crap and totally unrelated.🤷*♂️
Old 12-10-2018, 10:52 AM

- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:30 PM

Recoil is funny, definitely different for each person. For me, stock geometry and design and recoil pads are vital elements. I have some heavy hitters that feel like lightweights because of the stock and pad. I can handle heavy recoil but I don't like it, so I tweak all my rifles to adjust the recoil pads, combs, and body geometry.

But perspective, that is a different thing. I have a buddy, rather big guy at 6"2", ex 2 Commando lawn-dart type, a lean 250 lbs, quite solid, experienced shooter, and he complains about the recoil on my 6mm Rem, and yet another buddy, a 5', petite, girly-girl, can handle my 300s and 375H&H, standing or prone, like they are a 223 in a heavy barrel on a benchrest stock.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:48 PM

I’ve never had a problem shooting tight groups with my big boy cartridges...only thing I don’t like about the heavy hitters is that they give me a spitting head ache from my brain getting rattled after a 5-8 hour day at the range with them.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
I’ve never had a problem shooting tight groups with my big boy cartridges...only thing I don’t like about the heavy hitters is that they give me a spitting head ache from my brain getting rattled after a 5-8 hour day at the range with them.
So does that mean the rest of us who don't like giving ourselves a concussion every time we go to the range, are shooting little boy cartridges??
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:43 AM

There is a kid at work , a couple years ago got his Pal and bought a savage 110 300 wm with I believe a light hunter type barrel . We went out target shooting He shot his box of 20 rounds and he was done Lol. his last 3-4 shots you could see him just cringing .
Old 12-13-2018, 09:23 AM

Seems that recoil, stock shape, and barrel mass are all factors in shooting smaller groups.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Seems that recoil, stock shape, and barrel mass are all factors in shooting smaller groups.
A high mag scope don’t hurt either!
Old 12-13-2018, 10:45 AM

Location: In the woods, but close enough that I can swing by Cabelas once in a while.

I had the same experience as greybeard, shot dad's Mossberg bolt action 16 ga as a youngster and suffered with a flinch for years and years!
I defeated it with an SKS and a lot of slow "precision" shooting with it (really) and dry fire, dry fire, dry fire,

Now I'm working my daughters up to bigger and bigger rifles, I'm kind of experimenting to see what they will be able to shoot comfortably if its done in baby steps with no bad experiences. I expect it will reach a point where they tap out, I know my limit.

I think its due to excess room in my skull but a 30/06 with 180s will give me a headache in 10 rounds, brain bounces off the front of my skull I guess. I stick to the .308 and .303, they'll do anything I could ever ask for.

My oldest daughter is 13 and uses a Savage Scout in 7.62x39, and she sure is handy with it. She contributed to filling the freezer this year. We do a lot of dry fire together and I think that's the key.

And muzzle breaks are quite amazing unless you're a bystander!!
Old 12-13-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
True, there are a lot of factors but among those related to recoil .... stock shape and perhaps even more so ... barrel mass ... are biiggies. I see little paper evidence of predictable sub 1/2 MOA consistency at the Range where I shoot frequently.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
True, there are a lot of factors but among those related to recoil .... stock shape and perhaps even more so ... barrel mass ... are biiggies. I see little paper evidence of predictable sub 1/2 MOA consistency at the Range where I shoot frequently.
That’s because we don’t leave our targets on the board Jim.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:13 PM

That guy in the video is a wuss, who needs a brake for a 300?
Old 12-14-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
That guy in the video is a wuss, who needs a brake for a 300?
X2! Snowflake.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWCalgary View Post
X2! Snowflake.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
If a 300 causes that much pain what a 30 lb pack must bring him to tears.
But he's probably never far from the truck anyways.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Shooting an 8-10lb gun takes away most of the recoil. And is easier to shoot accurately compared to something lighter.
All things being equal, I'd much rather use a 7lb .308 than I would a 9lb .300 mag. My wrists seem to notice the difference in weight by the end of 10 hours of hunting far more than the game notices the difference in killing power. So long as my shoulder will put up with it I'd rather shave mass than add powder.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
So long as you have a solid rest... the more shaky my position the better I shoot with less magnification. I cant be the only one that firmly believes that the use of high magnification scopes on hunting rifles is severely overrated.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
So long as you have a solid rest... the more shaky my position the better I shoot with less magnification. I cant be the only one that firmly believes that the use of high magnification scopes on hunting rifles is severely overrated.
I don’t have large mag scopes on any Hunting dedicated rifles but for doing load development I like at least 15x
Old 12-15-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I don’t have large mag scopes on any Hunting dedicated rifles but for doing load development I like at least 15x
A sound plan. Interestingly enough, as I've drifted away from higher power scopes I've found that at 100 yards or so I can shoot just as tight of groups off of the bench with 2-4x as I can with 9-12x. Obviously when things get out further, more magnification is nice, but for me once I got used to the bullseye looking much smaller I came to realise that the advantage of more magnification was largely a mental thing. Once again, that is just me, ymmv.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:01 PM

For tight groups, I am a fan of higher magnification. See detail, shoot small. And, magnification is really handy if the wind is swtchy where a hold off of a .2” might be necessary to coax a bullet to follow one you sent earlier.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
So does that mean the rest of us who don't like giving ourselves a concussion every time we go to the range, are shooting little boy cartridges??
I never really thought about it that way....I own some rifles chambered in low recoil cartridges aswell.

you just won’t catch me shooting a 6.5 yuppie...I mean creedmoor
Old 12-15-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
For tight groups, I am a fan of higher magnification. See detail, shoot small. And, magnification is really handy if the wind is swtchy where a hold off of a .2” might be necessary to coax a bullet to follow one you sent earlier.
Once again, I'm not arguing with what works for you. But for me the turning point was when I put Lyman peep sight on an old .308 pump carbine I used to own. On a good day I could shoot groups at 100 yards with that rifle nearly as tight as I could with many of my scoped rifles... of course by 200 yards I was lucky to keep the groups around 6" with that gun

I remember one day I was shooting that gun at the GP range, next to me was a guy shooting handloads through a long range tactical looking thing. I got the impression it wasn't going as well as he would have liked. When we went to check our targets he commented, rather surprized, at how tight it was grouping, you know... considering my crappy rifle and all... when I told him those were my fouling shots he got a little sulky.

These days I don't think I have anything more powerful than a 2-7x on a hunting rifle. At anything resembling normal hunting ranges I find a 2-7 more than sufficient.

Last edited by Bushleague; 12-15-2018 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:12 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
If a 300 causes that much pain what a 30 lb pack must bring him to tears.
But he's probably never far from the truck anyways.

Why do you and your friends feel the need to make comments like that?

Do you know him? Do you know that he does not have an old injury that makes recoil more painful for him then it would be for you and I?

Is he a threat to you in some way? What do you gain by making such comments?
Do you think it impresses people.

I can assure you it does not impress me one little bit.

Let's suppose he is weak. What kind of individual would pick on the weak?

George Bernard Shaw