Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-16-2018, 10:41 AM

Default 2018 season in a nut shell

Well my season started off with a couple of epic fishing days in the Southern AB reservoirs. Then it seemed to go from 100 - 0 mph. I caught fish all year long but some days were sslloowwwww.

Then I was out yesterday freezing my butt off in the fog and the bite was back to epic ! The fog was so thick I was lost in minutes. Glad the sonar records tracks so I hit all my favourite waypoints and slammed some nice toothy critters.

I really hope I can stretch the next several weeks being on the water. I love fall fishing as all the weekend warriors and their ski boats are gone.

Dodger.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:16 AM

Agreed. Had a few eery days last fall on wab. Where you cant see 10 yards beyond the boat because of fog. But man o man was the bite fierce!! hoping to get a few more times too. Dress warm!!
Old 09-16-2018, 11:55 AM

I wouldn't say I have had an awesome year this year compared to others, The bit was very slow for us yesterday but we did manage to get a couple good walleyes.

I fully agree with fall fishing though, now that all the dude/bro's and there boats are off the lake, yesterday was peace and quiet out there!
Old 09-17-2018, 05:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Eyes, gators, lots of lakers,no perch but had 16 plus hours wrestling sturgeons on the Fraser!

This winter back to the Carribean to his the shores and try my luck on whatever wants to dance.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-17-2018, 08:48 AM

Didn't get out a whole lot this year, but I managed to catch my PB pike and caught some cool tigers in Blood Indian. Also finally managed to get some decent browns out of there too.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:42 PM

So far nothing special, I only fished 4 times this open water season, once at Bow and 3 times in Red Deer River - tons of small walleye, couple saugers, around 20 goldeye, numerous short head red horse and long nose suckers and one 6lbs pike. Hoping October will bring at least few keeper walleye and one or two burbot.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:07 PM

I had mediocre year myself. Did not get out as much as Id like but most times I went it was new waters for myself. I still cant figure out pigeon - I filled 2 tags in the early season but then nothing. I refuse to sit with the other boats and jig all day and I refuse to believe all the fish are in that one spot by the PP!
Old 09-20-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
So far nothing special, I only fished 4 times this open water season, once at Bow and 3 times in Red Deer River - tons of small walleye, couple saugers, around 20 goldeye, numerous short head red horse and long nose suckers and one 6lbs pike. Hoping October will bring at least few keeper walleye and one or two burbot.
This is strange? You usually get out a fair amount over the summer.

Dodger.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PwhyTwhy View Post
I had mediocre year myself. Did not get out as much as Id like but most times I went it was new waters for myself. I still cant figure out pigeon - I filled 2 tags in the early season but then nothing. I refuse to sit with the other boats and jig all day and I refuse to believe all the fish are in that one spot by the PP!
I hear ya ! I had a spot on a Southern reservoir that I have fished for 30 years. Then others saw me there and more and more people started fishing there. It started to look like a Tarpon fishing derby in Florida. I have now spent time seeking out other areas.

Dodger.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
I hear ya ! I had a spot on a Southern reservoir that I have fished for 30 years. Then others saw me there and more and more people started fishing there. It started to look like a Tarpon fishing derby in Florida. I have now spent time seeking out other areas.

Dodger.
Got to love alberta walleye fishing. Doesn't take long before all the boats find you. Seems like most dont know how to use the fishfinder eh

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyechaser View Post
Got to love alberta walleye fishing. Doesn't take long before all the boats find you. Seems like most dont know how to use the fishfinder eh

You nailed it !!

Dodger.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
This is strange? You usually get out a fair amount over the summer.

Dodger.
Not in last few years since buying into business. Became a slave to a bank and workplace lol. But it gives hope for early retirement and a lot of fishing then
Old 09-20-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Not in last few years since buying into business. Became a slave to a bank and workplace lol. But it gives hope for early retirement and a lot of fishing then
Congratulations- now get that early retirement thing happening.

Dodger.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:46 PM

a great opening, a mid season lull but still productive and the last 3 weeks has been super HAWT in both girly fish and huge hens. average on hens about 86cm, kept one for fish burgers and her egg sack was pretty full, don't usually see that till mid/late October.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:04 AM

Same thing for me. Down South several reservoirs I have fished this week are on fire right now. Nice chunky eyes and sharks.

Dodger.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Same thing for me. Down South several reservoirs I have fished this week are on fire right now. Nice chunky eyes and sharks.

Dodger.
They fired right up in this cold water. The fat tanks have been gobbling up the pink blades with white and pinks beads for us. Pulled between 1.2 and 1.5mph

Old 09-23-2018, 02:37 PM

Well they are still aggressive. Was out today in freezing rain and ice fog and the eyes were not scared chasing down a jig at a 1.2/mph drift. What makes it fun is every fish slams the jig. Nothing like getting the pole almost ripped out of your hands.

Only issue is it was so cold the arthritis left me fumbling around in the boat like an idiot. The hands wouldn’t work and the knees wouldn’t bend. But I still had a stupid grin from the accommodating fish.

Man I sure hope to stretch this out to the end of October!

Dodger.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:26 AM

Fall river walleyes were biting on Saturday

My fiancé and I caught around 15 in a couple of hours of (chilly) fishing. Kept our combined limit of 6 over 50cm, and released more of that size, including a 30in 'eye.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post

My fiancé and I caught around 15 in a couple of hours of (chilly) fishing. Kept our combined limit of 6 over 50cm, and released more of that size, including a 30in 'eye.
Keep Slammin those river eyes.

Dodger.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:

Nicely done. Which river? Red Deer was muddy as hell and I did not see any bites on Sunday. Wondering if I need to wait for it to clear out or drive extra km to Bow
Old 09-25-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Nicely done. Which river? Red Deer was muddy as hell and I did not see any bites on Sunday. Wondering if I need to wait for it to clear out or drive extra km to Bow
The southeastern reaches of the Bow. I'll post some pictures a little later.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
The southeastern reaches of the Bow. I'll post some pictures a little later.
Damn, long drive for me but for sure worth it. Was water quite clear over there?
Old 09-26-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Damn, long drive for me but for sure worth it. Was water quite clear over there?
It had rained the night before, and a little bit throughout the day, so the water was fairly murky. We fished from about 7-9:30 P.M. I have permission from the lease holder to access that particular spot, but the fishing is also good on the bridge between Brooks and Vauxhall. Missed a big fish there about a month ago.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:58 AM

Old 09-26-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
It had rained the night before, and a little bit throughout the day, so the water was fairly murky. We fished from about 7-9:30 P.M. I have permission from the lease holder to access that particular spot, but the fishing is also good on the bridge between Brooks and Vauxhall. Missed a big fish there about a month ago.
Might give that bridge a try, seems a bit closer than bridge between Rolling Hills and Hays where I used to go.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
That's some nice fall walleye - were you using bait ( minnows, leeches, etc) or lures/jigs?
Old 09-26-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Mmmmmmm, yummy looking.

Dodger
Old 09-26-2018, 10:38 PM

Just some simple bait rigs - slip sinker rigs. Minnows.