Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-24-2023, 06:09 AM

Default Sylvan Lake report

Made 2 trips to Sylvan in the past two weeks in the Sunbreaker area. Ice was a bit sketchy last weekend with only 5 inches and some areas of 4 inches. There is a small heave out in front at the 5-6 FOW where the pucker factor went up crossing it. Yesterday the ice is now 6-8 inches and the heave was not nearly as bad to cross.

Only fished last week in the late afternoon but did very well on whites. We caught a nice walleye. The toppers was this as we just started to pack up to get ready to leave:

Molly is alive! Just shy of 40 inches but it is the girth that is impressive. Wonder how many of those little whites are in there.

Yesterday landed 10 whites, 8 perch (one was 10 inch), lost a nice walleye at the hole and had on another molly but it pulled off after a couple minutes into the fight. The whites in the morning were all typical Sylvan. I should have waited for the afternoon as those were all bigger. Also lost some really nice whites close to the hole.

Lots of perch everywhere we went. Most are 5-6 inches. Found a few bait balls as well.

Now I have enough whites for the smoker for the family at XMas.

Cheers all!
Old 12-24-2023, 11:37 AM

GREAT post Snap . merry Christmas
Old 12-24-2023, 01:01 PM

Thanks for the good info. Finally someone giving us a real report of what things are like out there. Best of luck in all your outings.
Old 12-24-2023, 08:04 PM

I can verify the whites on Sylvan. Went today. Got the hook in the water around 10am... morning was slow for me. One 9.5 inch perch, small pike and lots of small perch. Tons of 3 to 5 inch perch out there.

Then 1 pm got my first white... then they kept coming, hoping around. Caught 9. Only one was a bigger model. Stayed till evening but no walleye came to play.

Tons of ice where I was 10 to 12 inches.

Sent from my SM-G990W2 using Tapatalk

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 12-25-2023, 05:30 AM

Nice!! Usually I'm gone by 11 a.m. but this afternoon bite allows a guy to sleep in
Old 12-25-2023, 08:13 AM

I am new and a bit of a rookie at whites.

I fish em in the early summer in the shallow's but have no idea how deep they linger in the winter season.

And would I still fish the wire worm or go with some sort of bait

THANKS
Old 12-25-2023, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
I can verify the whites on Sylvan. Went today. Got the hook in the water around 10am... morning was slow for me. One 9.5 inch perch, small pike and lots of small perch. Tons of 3 to 5 inch perch out there.

Then 1 pm got my first white... then they kept coming, hoping around. Caught 9. Only one was a bigger model. Stayed till evening but no walleye came to play.

Tons of ice where I was 10 to 12 inches.

Hey like always it’s great to see your posts! You had the whites dialed in for sure. Your video posts were the highlight of my season so I hope you post some this season. Now I have to watch CSO and Jay. lol. Best of luck to you and your family. See ya on Pigeon
Old 12-25-2023, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
I am new and a bit of a rookie at whites.

I fish em in the early summer in the shallow's but have no idea how deep they linger in the winter season.

And would I still fish the wire worm or go with some sort of bait

THANKS
Same locations as spring, shallow weed beds or spotty rubble, wire worms or small spoons though the colours might be different from what you'd use in the spring.
Old 12-25-2023, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
Hey like always it’s great to see your posts! You had the whites dialed in for sure. Your video posts were the highlight of my season so I hope you post some this season. Now I have to watch CSO and Jay. lol. Best of luck to you and your family. See ya on Pigeon
https://youtube.com/@TheFishingDocto...feature=shared

If you're interested I recently uploaded a bunch of videos, ice fishing, ocean salmon, river salmon, chironomids in a canoe. The ice brookie ones are probably the best.

I haven't been doing much editing till recently again. But I'll try to pump out this white one.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures