Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-24-2023, 03:10 PM

Default 2 stoke vs 4 stroke augers

hello friends the last time i iced fished was almost 9 years ago when my jiffy model 30 gave up, it was a 2 stroke and i loved it. i noticed jiffy did have the 4G 4 stroke, has anyone had any experience with this unit being a 4 stoke? what have you heard about it? i thought about getting the new jiffy model 30xt but a lot of the reviews are bad regarding crankshafts snapping, internal bolts not up to grade and snapping. so this makes me very hesitant.
Old 12-24-2023, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
hello friends the last time i iced fished was almost 9 years ago when my jiffy model 30 gave up, it was a 2 stroke and i loved it. i noticed jiffy did have the 4G 4 stroke, has anyone had any experience with this unit being a 4 stoke? what have you heard about it? i thought about getting the new jiffy model 30xt but a lot of the reviews are bad regarding crankshafts snapping, internal bolts not up to grade and snapping. so this makes me very hesitant.

With all the new electric augers being offered kijiji is filled with guys dumping their old gas augers for cheap. If you liked your 30, I’m sure you could find another for peanuts. I love my older jiffy but if it happened to die I would bite the bullet and buy an ion alpha plus. I was shocked at the difference in weight and speed. I realize I’m not really answering any of your questions, just offering my $0.02

Last edited by Mr.Piker; 12-24-2023 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-24-2023, 06:49 PM

Electric is where it’s at. If you are buying a new one I would look at the Strikemaster 40V or Ion Alpha. Cabelas has a great Boxing Day sale on the SM Lite 40V.

I’ve had my SM for 4+ years now and it’s been great. The Ion Alpha is newer and a bit faster if that matters.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 12-24-2023, 06:54 PM

Did the Milwaukee M18 and Pistol Bit last year and have never started the 10 inch gasser since. Would never ho back to gas unless you live way up north and drill and swiss cheeze 3 or 4 feet of ice. New electric motors with enough battery amps is all this old fart needs. The light weight and drill my holes just the same makes no sense to drill gas auger holes.
Old 12-24-2023, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Piker View Post
With all the new electric augers being offered kijiji is filled with guys dumping their old gas augers for cheap. If you liked your 30, I’m sure you could find another for peanuts. I love my older jiffy but if it happened to die I would bite the bullet and buy an ion alpha plus. I was shocked at the difference in weight and speed. I realize I’m not really answering any of your questions, just offering my $0.02
you did answer alot of my questions that i have in mind regarding going with the electrics, so it gives me better guidance for the newer augers. so far all the responses has helped answer alot of my concerns. i was very curious because i thought the 4 cycle motors would have more power but i don't see much on the market so there has to be a reason why so i thought i would asked for everyone's experience/opinions. thanks
Old 12-26-2023, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
you did answer alot of my questions that i have in mind regarding going with the electrics, so it gives me better guidance for the newer augers. so far all the responses has helped answer alot of my concerns. i was very curious because i thought the 4 cycle motors would have more power but i don't see much on the market so there has to be a reason why so i thought i would asked for everyone's experience/opinions. thanks
Jiffy just carry on their old great models from many years passed,, a Jiffy now is a piece of crap. Go electric... unless you find the strikemaster 4 stroke with the honda engine. Two stroke is still better. Crappy Tire had a great deal on the Strikemaster electric, but probably back up to regular prices now.