Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-22-2023, 01:47 PM

Default School me on ice fishing rods / gear

Hey all,

I am a long time fly fishermen and i'm looking to spend some time on the ice year, but not really sure where to begin.

I've been looking at set ups from CND tire and Cabelas and the price range of rod and reel range from $30-$150. You're lucky to find a fly line sub $100 these days...

I will be fishing mainly for rainbows up to the 24" mark.

I would rather spend a little more cash and have something that going to last.

Preferred brands? Brands to stay away from? Essential gear?

This will very much be a beginners foray in the hard water world... Not looking to buy a skidoo and a 8 man tent...yet.

Cheers.
Old 12-22-2023, 01:56 PM

Default Rod/Reel

https://thefishinhole.com/13-fishing...ce-combos.html

That's my choice for a rod/reel for ice fishing.
Old 12-22-2023, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwee6 View Post
https://thefishinhole.com/13-fishing...ce-combos.html

That's my choice for a rod/reel for ice fishing.
I think that setup is a bit light for 24" rainbows. A stocked 24" rainbow can push 5lbs in some lakes.

OP wants a medium action rod. Longer is better if you're not in a tent to keep fish pinned and also more forgiving at the hole where most big ones are lost. I'd say 32" at a minimum.

I wouldn't take an inline spool if you gave it to me. Still trying to get parts for a $$$ 13 Fishing Freefall Trick Shop reel after the spool broke two seasons ago. Get a decent quality 2500 series spinning reel. You don't need to spend a lot.

I'm not diving into what main line to use...OP can read up on that and decide for himself. I will 100% recommend a 3' fluorocarbon leader in around 6lb test though, regardless of the main line used.

What are my qualifications? I've been pretty quiet here this season. But I ice fish for rainbows every Friday during hardwater unless I'm on a longer sled in trip up north. This was my biggest this morning. 6lb missile.

Old 12-22-2023, 05:52 PM

This is all you really need.

DSCF1871 by , on Flickr

A homemade jiggin stick still works pretty well.

DSCF1877 by , on Flickr

And these DIY jigging tip-ups are extremely effective.

DSCF1389 by , on Flickr

I do have some ice rods kicking around but I dont use them much any more. After a trip to Florida a few years back, I switched to these things that they call "Cuban yo-yo's" down there, basically a big hoop that you wrap line around. You can feed/ take line quite effectively while fighting fish, last year I caught a 36" pike on 6lb line while fishing for walleye, lots of fun. Mine are 9" in diameter, so they cant be pulled down an 8" hole. I jig with them, or just leave a couple sitting on the ice as a very low-tech setline. Wander from hole to hole, work the bait a little, when you see one start spinning go grab it... simple.

Last edited by Bushleague; 12-22-2023 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-22-2023, 10:02 PM

Like anything in this world it’s all about how much you would like to spend. I wouldn’t go with the in-line reel or rod buddy suggested but that just me. I’m pretty seasoned when it comes to ice fishing and the advice gp gives to you or anybody is probably worth listening to.
Old 12-23-2023, 07:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

So the other day I watched a couple set up from a distance and man a few 24 to 28 inch bows were pulled up through the ice.
On my way back to the truck I stopped by to chat.
Now we are fishing in 6-15 fow for the most part and I tell ya the set up they had was simple.
Three foot willow branch stuck in the ice/slush from when they drilled the hole.
A spool of 8 lbs mono line Laying on the ice, the line is wrapped twice around the end of the willow branch with a piece of orange ribbon and a bell.
Baited small tear drop jig head about a foot or so off the bottom and they just sit there in a lawn chair watching and listening.
Two of them watching four lines and when I was there they iced a few more just by a slight hook set then pull them up to the surface….you can keep it really simple at first, hand auger, small kids sled etc to see if ice fishing is your thing.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-23-2023, 09:30 AM

For ice rods I'd suggest solid carbon. Tough as nails. You can step on them which kids will do (and some adults) and not have to worry about breaking them. You can load them heavily in a Jawjacker and not have to worry they will break like a graphite based rod is prone to.
Quantum makes them in a rod/reel combo and I've bought them for as little as $30 on sale.
I own both spinning and baicasting versions from 28"-42" in medium to heavy actions and really like them. I don't even use my others any longer. I fish rainbows alot and the lake I fish most the trout I'm catching average 18"-23" and are girthy as heck tipping the scales at 4-6 plus pounds. In water 8' deep or less I run my 28" Medium rods, deeper than 8' I use my 36"MH rods. I find I get better hook sets with the longer rods in deeper water and both setups offer plenty of back bone to handle hard fighting bows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9103.jpg (18.3 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9104.jpg (32.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9105.jpg (21.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9106.jpg (32.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9101.jpg (39.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9098.jpg (23.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9099.jpg (49.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9100.jpg (15.3 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Frank_NK28; 12-23-2023 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-23-2023, 10:49 AM

Shimano Sienna ice combos are nice at a sub 100$
Old 12-23-2023, 04:55 PM

Inline vs. spinning reel.
I'm inline all the way.
You can use your fly reels too.. I set up 2 or 3 fly reels every year on my ice rods.
I leave the fly line/ leader on it. I put masking tape over the fly line then spool mono over top.. they work good.
Old 12-23-2023, 05:08 PM

Buy a jaw jacker, it will outfish you some times and definitely put meat on the table. If you are in a shack and have a jaw jackwr out there, it will set the hook when it goes off. Put a bell on it so you don't have to watch it. Get the boys at the fishin hole to rig you up.
Old 12-23-2023, 06:11 PM

I also recommend getting a jaw jacker set up to go along with whichever rod and reel combo you decide upon. As a lot of others have said, they will often out fish you.
Old 12-29-2023, 03:57 PM

Instead of starting a new thread, figured I'd tag onto this one. I broke a Rapala rod today, so I want to spring for something a little better.

Currently I'm eyeballing the Fenwick HMG or the St Croix Mojo, in medium power. Any suggestions?
Old 12-29-2023, 08:41 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Instead of starting a new thread, figured I'd tag onto this one. I broke a Rapala rod today, so I want to spring for something a little better.

Currently I'm eyeballing the Fenwick HMG or the St Croix Mojo, in medium power. Any suggestions?
those are great rod but you cant abuse them, baby themthey will catch . ugly stik elite will take a beating