Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-10-2023, 08:02 AM

Default Looking to buy ice tent for overnighters

I know there are some great reviews on here but looking for suggestions about a tent to do overnighters with 2 people. Are there some cheaper options as I dont have $1000 to spend ideally. I also would be using by myself so easy set up is important. Would need to accommodate 2 cots along with gear etc. Do I need the double hub or would the larger 5 or 6 side work? Thanks.
Old 12-10-2023, 08:30 AM

I have an Eskimo 650 and in my opinion, its the perfect size. Its roomy enough for 2 cots plus gear but small enough to keep warm. The complaint I've heard with the double hubs is keeping them warm enough with the additional area.
Old 12-10-2023, 10:36 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Eskimo 650 if I was to become dedicated overnighter for two.
Eskimo 450 for one person.

Not a fan of heating large spaces for no reason.

Nice to turn down the heat and be warm while burning less fuel.

Good luck on your quest.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-10-2023, 11:22 AM

I've used both types quite a bit. A hex hub like the Eskimo Outbreak 650XD and the Otter Vortex Pro Resort would be my first choice for a weekend. I own and have overnighted in the Otter Vortex Resort (the older model without the walkout door) and the Otter Vortex Pro Monster Lodge. The hex hubs work well as a base camp to sleep in where you can then go out fishing from them and return in the evening to sleep. The double hubs work far better if you actually want to hunker down in one spot and fish out of the same tent in the same spot for an extended period. And I use Disc-O-Bed bunk beds, so I have more room than most people using regular cots and still think the hex hub is a little small to fish out of for two.

If you want the best hub shelter for what you want to do IMO, it's the Otter Vortex (not Pro) Resort. This shelter is discontinued, and you won't find any online any more. But when I was in at the Southside Cabela's in Edmonton last month, they had a few in out on the floor in their racks/bins. It has all the benefits of the current Vortex Pro Resort minus the walkout door. It was priced at $739.77, compared to $879.99 for the current gen Vortex Pro Resort and $899.99 for the Eskimo Outbreak 650XD or $999.99 for the Outbreak 650XD Limited. There weren't many of them, but no one is buying them now so there should definitely be one left still.

The reason I like it over the new Vortex Pro Resort is the wall size...75" for the Vortex Resort vs 69.5" for the Vortex Pro Resort. That allows you to push your cots right up against the wall in the older Vortex whereas in the new Vortex Pro they have to stand a fair way's off the wall. Here's my setup when I go out by myself...

If you want to see my setup when I take a double hub out, you can watch the early part of this video Sean made last year. The double hubs offer separate sleeping and fishing quarters. I did a comprehensive review of double hubs last season if you decide to go that route. They are bulkier and more work to set up. Too much for one person for one day IMO if this is something you plan to use for more than just overnighting.

Actually, if the older Vortex Resort sounds appealing to you but the $740 price is still a bit rich, reach out to me and I may be willing to sell you mine. I said I would never sell it when they discontinued it. But I have a new Outbreak 650XD Limited sitting in a box in my shop I should use. And I think I am going in a different direction for my winter camping anyways.

HTH.
Old 12-10-2023, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skhoser View Post
I have an Eskimo 650 and in my opinion, its the perfect size. Its roomy enough for 2 cots plus gear but small enough to keep warm. The complaint I've heard with the double hubs is keeping them warm enough with the additional area.
100% if you don’t have 2 big buddys in those big double tents you will freeze with only 1 big buddy insulated tent or not.
Old 12-10-2023, 01:58 PM

Last fall picked up an Eskimo 850XD, its great for two and loads of gear, plan is to use it for winter camping, sledding and wolf hunting. A Big buddy isn't enough even two in -10 temps, wouldn't be good overnight not to mention the condensation would be crazy. Recently bought a Wippro diesel heater, no fuel pump tick! By all estimations should be nice dry, clean heat and comfortable in -20 or even lower overnight temps with no condensation and run a small fan hanging in the ceiling to circulate the diesel heat. Looking forward to gettin in the bush!
Old 12-10-2023, 02:39 PM

Awesome, great info as always. Got a little research to do.
Old 12-10-2023, 02:48 PM

Pffft. For safety, you should be using sleeping bags rated to keep you warm in whatever temperature you're staying out in without heat. In which case a single Big Buddy properly placed will work fine in any tent for sleeping. If you're freezing in any hub with two Big Buddies bucking, you need to put away your Paw Patrol sleeping bag.

58thecat has seen me on Cold Lake in the Otter Resort at -30*C with a howling wind and a single Big Buddy. He'll vouch we survived. Wasn't much fun when the bottle froze at 2am though, I can tell you that.
Old 12-10-2023, 03:12 PM

Hi, I am sending some private messages for Albertan GP but it doesnt show in my sent box. If you didnt get them please let me know.
Old 12-10-2023, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Pffft. For safety, you should be using sleeping bags rated to keep you warm in whatever temperature you're staying out in without heat. In which case a single Big Buddy properly placed will work fine in any tent for sleeping. If you're freezing in any hub with two Big Buddies bucking, you need to put away your Paw Patrol sleeping bag.

58thecat has seen me on Cold Lake in the Otter Resort at -30*C with a howling wind and a single Big Buddy. He'll vouch we survived. Wasn't much fun when the bottle froze at 2am though, I can tell you that.
Your otter resort isn’t the same as say the Eskimo 850 I’m not an expert on the names of all these tents but the hubs like the 850 if you don’t have 2 heaters in them in -30 it gets chilly. Seems like a heater on each side makes it very comfortable. I would never get a 850 anyways I would get a hub like the resort so a guy didn’t need to have more than one heater. I was in my buddys 850 and I’m sure happy I ended up bringing my heater as well. I think guys need to realize that those double hubs like the 850 are not the best for overnights imo. Now one guy in and 850 with a wood stove on one end now your a warm happy fisherman.
Old 12-10-2023, 08:55 PM

I used to overnight in an Eskimo 9416i and Sean and I were in my Otter Vortex Pro Monster Lodge in that video I linked. Both are comparable to the 850XD...which is why I compared all three in my double hub comparison last year. I've overnighted on the ice in everything from a small flip to a large double hub, so I speak from experience.

I don't recall ever running my Big Buddy and Buddy together overnighting although I may have. Again the key is to have the proper sleeping bag for the trip. Overnighting on the middle of a lake in -30*C may make for a lot of views on YouTube, but don't kid yourself. It can be dangerous if you don't plan properly and have a problem. I don't know about everyone else's experiences with Mr. Heater products, but I'm not putting my life in that company's hands. Honestly, most people should probably just stay in a hotel room nearby if it's -30*C.
Old 12-11-2023, 09:07 AM

Quote:
I used to overnight in an Eskimo 9416i and Sean and I were in my Otter Vortex Pro Monster Lodge in that video I linked. Both are comparable to the 850XD...which is why I compared all three in my double hub comparison last year. I've overnighted on the ice in everything from a small flip to a large double hub, so I speak from experience.

I don't recall ever running my Big Buddy and Buddy together overnighting although I may have. Again the key is to have the proper sleeping bag for the trip. Overnighting on the middle of a lake in -30*C may make for a lot of views on YouTube, but don't kid yourself. It can be dangerous if you don't plan properly and have a problem. I don't know about everyone else's experiences with Mr. Heater products, but I'm not putting my life in that company's hands. Honestly, most people should probably just stay in a hotel room nearby if it's -30*C.
We had 2 big buddys wouldnt mess with those sunflowers not worth it. To experienced to make that mistake.
Old 12-11-2023, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
We had 2 big buddys wouldnt mess with those sunflowers not worth it. To experienced to make that mistake.
I agree I almost killed myself and my BIL in the 80's with a sunflower heater. Man do they put out heat though.
Old 12-11-2023, 01:54 PM

Just one guy's opinion......

We have the biggest Otter on the market (Monster Lodge??) which is slightly more sq ft than the Eskimo 850x. We overnighted in it a few times last year and it was just enough room for the wife and I, with a table at the far end (next to the walk-through door) for cooking.

As for heating, we have a Big Buddy connected to a big propane tank (always keep the tank outside, just in case... the Otter comes with a neat little feature... a covered hole to run the hose through) and it is MORE than enough heat (of course, outside temp dependent). We have it on high until it gets to where we want it and then put it down to either Low or Medium depending on the outside temp, and that keeps us toasty through the night.
Old 12-11-2023, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Just one guy's opinion......

We have the biggest Otter on the market (Monster Lodge??) which is slightly more sq ft than the Eskimo 850x. We overnighted in it a few times last year and it was just enough room for the wife and I, with a table at the far end (next to the walk-through door) for cooking.

As for heating, we have a Big Buddy connected to a big propane tank (always keep the tank outside, just in case... the Otter comes with a neat little feature... a covered hole to run the hose through) and it is MORE than enough heat (of course, outside temp dependent). We have it on high until it gets to where we want it and then put it down to either Low or Medium depending on the outside temp, and that keeps us toasty through the night.
100% key word (weather dependent)!!
Old 12-11-2023, 04:08 PM

Yeah, like I'm not going to be winter camping if it's -30 outside, no matter what. But we will camp on the ice down to like -15 probably, and the insulated tent + Big Buddy is more than enough. Last year, the first time we camped, it was like -5 overnight, and we were actually too warm at one point. Had to ditch layers and keep the Buddy on low.
Old 12-12-2023, 06:43 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

You ate two cans of beans prior to bed....kept you warm all night

Yup, you guys should have booked a hotel room....cold and windy but all part of the adventure....overheating transmissions, plowing through snow drifts....

Had a frabrill uninsulated tent back then and the windows cracked, fell apart and poles broke too....

You are right with regards to sleeping bags it literally could save your life.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-12-2023, 07:15 AM

Curious how the double hub tents hold up in high winds, we were on Calling Lake in 70kph winds, it was so bad guys were stopping and checking on us as they were getting off the lake to make sure we were okay. Surprisingly my Eskimo 6120i was quiet and did not shake with the round 6 sided design. Never crossed my mind until we stepped outside and it was unbearable. We slept all night with no issues. Just my experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200104_132242.jpg (43.4 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 20200104_193525.jpg (31.3 KB, 65 views)
Old 12-12-2023, 07:39 AM

Quote:
I agree I almost killed myself and my BIL in the 80's with a sunflower heater. Man do they put out heat though.

I’m curious what happened with the sunflower? I have one of those and the buddy heater and switch back and forth between trips depending on temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2023, 09:13 AM

Sunflower heaters in general are still available and are typically dirt cheap. You just don't hear much about them because it's common knowledge now how dangerous they are in small enclosed spaces. I still have mine sitting on a shelf in my shop. I've never needed it since I started ice fishing again five or so years ago.
Old 12-12-2023, 09:59 AM

I still have my sunflower heater also but have switched to the big buddy the first year they came out with them so it’s bin along time since I’ve used the sunflower. They work great as long as you have some air flow coming into your tent but after a days use you feel it in your sinuses and usually a heavy feeling in your head. I have a Coleman but I know there were some cheaper ones on the market that were just simply not safe to use at all. If you are overnighting with a sunflower be carful because you might not wake up. Get the right gear for this type of overnighting on the lake and be safe and enjoy fishing and camping. A wood burner is still the best and safest alternative but I know the big buddy heaters are very safe with a 02 sensor in them so they turn off if the oxygen levels are not correct in the space you are in. Like others will tell you tho don’t rely on that get a carbon monoxide detector and you should be good to go.
Old 12-12-2023, 11:01 AM

I've run the otter resort and the double hub style. They both have their advantages for sure. In the 850xd for sleeping, I put up a divider at the halfway point of the hub to have '2 rooms'. We just run the heater on low on the sleeping side, have to use less propane and the other side doesn't melt out as bad. Works for us. We fish out side all day and usually just leave the heater on low in the tent. Can get a good 2 days out of 20lb of propane.
Old 12-12-2023, 12:43 PM

Has anyone run an electric blanket powered by a 120 ah deep cycle battery and inverter?
Thinking of running the blanket on Low inside an appropriate sleeping bag.
Old 12-12-2023, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
Has anyone run an electric blanket powered by a 120 ah deep cycle battery and inverter?
Thinking of running the blanket on Low inside an appropriate sleeping bag.
You'd be better off getting a straight 12V battery-powered one - that way you don't have the inherent losses from the AC/DC conversion.

Like this one: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/t...w.ds#store=322

Then you need to calculate what the blanket's current consumption is, and how long your battery will supply current until it drains below the blanket's minimum operating voltage.
Old 12-12-2023, 04:50 PM

Or...get a decent bag and toss a water bottle with hot water in for a bit before bed. KISS.
Old 12-14-2023, 09:12 AM

I ended up getting the Otter Vortex Resort (older model) at Cabellas South and it was discounted to $600 so cant wait. There was still one left as of yesterday. Thanks to all for the input.
Old 12-14-2023, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamilton View Post
I ended up getting the Otter Vortex Resort (older model) at Cabellas South and it was discounted to $600 so cant wait. There was still one left as of yesterday. Thanks to all for the input.
You won't be disappointed.
Old 12-15-2023, 12:11 PM

You guys just leave a window open to allow for fresh air.
Old 12-15-2023, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
Oh, that's a MUST when fishing with me.
Old 12-15-2023, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
The tents themselves all have vents. That's all you should need. You can leave a door cracked open if it makes you feel better. I run two CO detectors and replace one of them annually so I know the batteries are good.