Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-10-2012, 12:27 PM

Default Last minute preparation, stainless barrels CR10 and loose rings

Son and I haven't shot the 30-06's in a while so getting down to crunch time before our trip next week I am packing and checking equipment since he is working today. Took both rifles (new to us since last year) to the farm range for a little practice since we were a bit rushed last time and always assumed we would finalize the sighting in with a few bullets with the same BC (Hornady BPSP for practice while Nosler partition to hunt). That fine tuning never came until this morning with a tray of 165 BPSP over 56 grains of IMR 4350. His PH and my A7 both liked this load this past summer. A7 was nearly fine since last time shooting but I dropped the elevation 1.5 inches as we will be hunting thick bush so there wont be any need for 3+ inches high at 100 yards so dropped it down to 2 inches high.
This rifle is barely broken in so it was a pleasant surprize cleaning it after 10 shots to find 1 pass of CR10 and the patches were coming out with no green blue (copper fouling). Will now move up to firing a few Nosler partitions before I leave Saturday.

Sons PH actually shot a better group than my A7 but after second shot I noticed the reticle is crooked. Turned it back level with my hand. Front screws on rings have not been tightened down. Don't know if store left them like that or if he adjusted focal length and forgot to tighten down front. Surprizingly enough with loose front rings 2 of three shot touching at 100 yards. No sense doing any more until he gets home from work to adjust focal length to his eye and stance so he will have to set it up and tighten everything down tonight.

Just a good reminder to sight in and check all equipment before the big day. Know of one shooter many years ago who assumed his rifle was still on from the year before and it cost him a monster ram when he fired 10 inches over the back into the canyon wall.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:35 PM

Problem with taking your kids shooting is that they are usually a better shot than their old man. really stomps what's left of my ego into the ground.

Drewski
Old 09-10-2012, 02:41 PM

Default Yup

With 3 eye surgeries in past 5 years he has been outshooting me for several years. I still remind him that I taught him the breathing control that makes him more consistent and one day his vision may not be as eagle eye sharp as it is now so don't be too cocky.