Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-28-2009, 06:30 PM

Default Buying a custom stock and barrel

Everywhere website i go to is a US website and no one send anything to Canada, I can't seem to get a mcmillan or Hp percision in canada. Im wondering if anyone knows if there is a canadian company or supplier that i can get a competition grade stock and barrel from.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:32 PM

There are several companies supplying Mcmillan stocks in Canada.ATR out of Calgary is one Alberta source.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:45 PM

I was talking with a girl at McMillan yesterday and yes they will ship direct from what she told me. Not sure if they do it "Properly" but no worries getting it.
Wait time is 4.5- 5 months though. Just go through the McMillan website and call them during there hours.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:10 PM

Default stock

Wildcat custom stocks
Gailard barrells

These are two of the very best.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:55 PM

You could check with P&D in Edmonton.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:16 PM

McMillan will ship to Canada. My understanding though is that it is kind of grey area as to whether or not they should. Good luck in getting it in 5 mo. as well.
Robertson composites, I think makes a better product than McMillan, and you can have it in 8-10 weeks.
Wildcat Composites makes a great product and you can have you a stock in 2-3 weeks. Generally some of the finishing is done by you.
Ted Gaillard makes outstanding barrels.
Ron Smith by reputation makes excellent barrels. Do a search on here for contact info.
Ian @ riflebarrels.ca imports Kreiger barrels from the US
Jerry Tao in BC (mysticplayer@ymail.com) imports Shilen barrels from the US
http://www.robertsoncomposites.com/
http://www.shootingpaul.netfirms.com/Gaillard.html
http://wildcatcomposites.com/background.html
http://www.riflebarrels.ca/

Last edited by Predator; 03-28-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:45 PM

try these guys
Corlane Sporting Goods Ltd.
10033 9th Street
Dawson Creek, BC V1G 5A8
CANADA
corlane@telus.net
Old 03-29-2009, 07:12 AM

there is also joe ponto at rps international, he is on here... precision shooter.... i think he is now. he has quite a bit of what you are looking for on hand, unlike some other alberta dealers he is a good guy with excellent service and will stand behind what he sells.....
Old 03-29-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator View Post
McMillan will ship to Canada. My understanding though is that it is kind of grey area as to whether or not they should. Good luck in getting it in 5 mo. as well.
Robertson composites, I think makes a better product than McMillan, and you can have it in 8-10 weeks.
Wildcat Composites makes a great product and you can have you a stock in 2-3 weeks. Generally some of the finishing is done by you.
Ted Gaillard makes outstanding barrels.
Ron Smith by reputation makes excellent barrels. Do a search on here for contact info.
Ian @ riflebarrels.ca imports Kreiger barrels from the US
Jerry Tao in BC (mysticplayer@ymail.com) imports Shilen barrels from the US
http://www.robertsoncomposites.com/
http://www.shootingpaul.netfirms.com/Gaillard.html
http://wildcatcomposites.com/background.html
http://www.riflebarrels.ca/
McMillan will ship to Canada and has the permits in place. They also have no peer when it comes to selection and custom drop in option and their quality leaves nothing to be desired. Oh, and guys are getting their stocks in 5 months.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-29-2009, 07:44 AM

I just had a look at Robertson Composites and it appears that they need to take a serious look at some of their stock designs. They have weight issues as well. Their sporter weighs over 3lbs!

-Billy Molls
Old 03-29-2009, 07:58 AM

It is possible to get McMillians...I have one that should be shipped out to me anytime now and just placed an order for another so the wait begins for it. They are hard to beat for quality and fit.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:07 AM

Rob, when did you place your order? I've got two in the pipeline and hope to see one of them in 4 weeks or so.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-29-2009, 09:02 AM

The first on was ordered the end of Nov/beginning of Dec...sounds like it should be on its way in the next couple of weeks. As for the second one, well the order was just put in hopefully on Friday...
Old 03-29-2009, 09:14 AM

My first was placed Dec 11, so sounds like it's getting close.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-29-2009, 09:25 AM

Yours should be about the same time as mine...mine maybe abit longer since it is for a Sako 85 and they are using another guys rifle to inlet my stock. The second is for another Sako 85, and the same guy is letting me use his rifle again for the inletting so it maybe sooner since he wants his rifle back ASAP. I am hoping that puts a rush on it.

Mine should be the first McMillian for a Sako 85 in Canada I believe...
Old 03-29-2009, 10:12 AM

Hey Chuck
McMillan certainly has the sporter and tactical market covered for those styles of stocks. I did not mean to come across as Robertson or any other manufacturer having nearly the choices that McMillan does, because no one does. Nor did I mean to infer that any stock leaving the McMillan facility was not of high quality. I just spent 4 days in Phoenix at the McMillan factory, so I have seen all aspects of their manufacturing process and the final product for most of their complete product line. Can't fault them on anything. When I returned from Phoenix though, I decided to go with a Canadian product for what I wanted (Robertson Composites). They do not have the styles or the inlets for sporter style stocks that McMillan does, but they had the exact style that I wanted for this build. I don't know if you have ever seen any of their products, but in the quality end of things, they are certainly NOT in McMillans shadow. Like McMillan they have different fills available for their stocks, and a sporter is not 3 lbs, unless you want it to be. My stock was 21oz. As for stock design, I guess it all depends what you are looking for.
Wait times for a McMillan also probably depends on which stock you wanted as to how fast you get it. Obviously some like an edge or A5 are run more frequently than others. When I left the factory I was quoted 8 mo. for the stock that I wanted.
I guess I just got lucky that there was a home grown option for the style and inlet that I wanted. To each their own, but I prefer Canadian when I have the option.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:38 PM

That's good to know on the sporter. I'd be all over 21oz's if that was a finished weight.

I'm not to crazy about some of their stock design and if they had something McMillan A5ish or Manners T2ish I'd order one tomorrow.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-29-2009, 02:20 PM

I think most of the Robertson's stuff is either exactly what you are looking for, or it's not even close. I was looking for something with a high comb, and went with their silhouette stock. The closest to something A5ish might be something like in this thread: http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=7835
This is what the silhouette looks like:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phpm6kv1MPM.jpg (11.9 KB, 50 views)
Old 03-29-2009, 02:53 PM

I had a look through want Robertson offers and I still like the stocks options that McMillian offers better...but that is just a personal choice. If he offered one similar to the style that I ordered I would be all over it as well and support a Canadian Manufacture.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:16 PM

actually robertson makes an almost exact copy of the a5, drop them an e mail for pics. delivery is approx 10 weeks and price is comparable to the mcmillan option for option
Old 03-29-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo1010 View Post
actually robertson makes an almost exact copy of the a5, drop them an e mail for pics. delivery is approx 10 weeks and price is comparable to the mcmillan option for option
Something other than what's on their website?

-Billy Molls
Old 03-29-2009, 05:37 PM

i don't think they have the tactical on their website do they..... they never used to, but they forwarded a pic to me when i called them. it is more or less an a5 mac stock. you will recognize it if you are familiar with the design.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:08 PM

Default Robertson Stocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I just had a look at Robertson Composites and it appears that they need to take a serious look at some of their stock designs. They have weight issues as well. Their sporter weighs over 3lbs!
Chuck Robertson stocks web page is old needs a update
I felt and weighed one of his sporter stocks for Rem 700 20oz and its way nicer stock than my McMiilan in many ways, and stonger.
manitou