Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2013, 05:41 PM

Default Kijiji Scams

So I put my truck on kijiji to sell. Within minutes of the ad being viewable, I get a text asking for the maintenance history. I fire off an email to te respondant. Shortly after I get this crazy message asking for my Paypal, he's a marine and he'll take it, and pick up the delivery charges and fees. That's nuts!

When I sold my Rhino, I kept getting hounded and given all sorts of good advice on how to sell items and what I should be doing with my thumb.

I don't recall the autotrader doing this...I think I like the old school way better to sell stuff--a sign.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:56 PM

I'll second that!! Kijiji is rife with scam artists...buyers and sellers!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:39 PM

Only ever had that problem on Craigslist. So I stopped useing that site.
I have not had that email problem with Kijiji, although there are other problems.
I don't answer texts or Emails- Problem solved!

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:43 PM

Back in early December I posted an auto ad for a guy at work with no internet, so I got the emails. At the end, I was getting emails from the same email addy but using different names, and asking for ridiculous decreases in price. I wasn't impressed with the whole deal....
Old 01-17-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
Back in early December I posted an auto ad for a guy at work with no internet, so I got the emails. At the end, I was getting emails from the same email addy but using different names, and asking for ridiculous decreases in price. I wasn't impressed with the whole deal....
I wonder if the texting and lowballing isn't sales people or curbers probing and giving the average guy grief.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumoulin View Post
So I put my truck on kijiji to sell. Within minutes of the ad being viewable, I get a text asking for the maintenance history. I fire off an email to te respondant. Shortly after I get this crazy message asking for my Paypal, he's a marine and he'll take it, and pick up the delivery charges and fees. That's nuts!

When I sold my Rhino, I kept getting hounded and given all sorts of good advice on how to sell items and what I should be doing with my thumb.

I don't recall the autotrader doing this...I think I like the old school way better to sell stuff--a sign.
its everywhere including autotrader..
Old 01-17-2013, 07:07 PM

read the 419 scam and learn and educate yourself !! what are some of the specific detail of the scam, personally i have ran into a few of these
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_scam
Old 01-17-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
read the 419 scam and learn and educate yourself !! what are some of the specific detail of the scam, personally i have ran into a few of these
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_scam
Scary how some live to scr€w others around.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:

It's rampant I had the same crap on auto trader and on these forums, welcome to the internet.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:51 PM

I had a similar experience recently. Posted an ad. Within a few minutes I got a text from a number that appeared to be from New York. Guy wanted what I was offering, at asking price. Wanted to pay by paypal and send someone for pick-up. I told him cash at pick-up, or EMT. No Paypal... Guy argued with me for a couple days about why I should take his paypal payment. No can do... I still have my item, and no money!
Old 01-17-2013, 08:36 PM

lately i had 2 different items that i found on craigslist and asked for pictures, but the sellers wanted me to send my cell phone number so they could forward pictures. i have an old cell phone with no camera features, so asked the one if they could not send them to my email... no response after that. is this also a scam?
Old 01-17-2013, 09:47 PM

I've found autotrader to be worse for scams. Especially for buyers. There's so many fake adds. Pretty easy to spot most of them right away because there a third the market price. IMO
Old 01-17-2013, 10:39 PM

Just last week I sold a car for for a friend through Kijiji.
Same thing. Within minutes of it being up, I got an email from some guy saying he was interested in my ad (not the car), and was there anything I would like to add? And could I send him some pics, and did I have a PayPal account?
I wrote back and said "In person only, cash only" and "Didn't you see the pics on Kijiji? there are ten of them", and "it starts, runs and drives like new, what else do you want to know? The next day, he replied that he would take the car at full asking price, but he was out of town for the moment and would arrange for pick-up. Then told me how easy it was to get a PayPal account; all you need is a valid bank account.. .
I wrote back saying "Here's the deal: bring cash"
He wrote back again saying that the only way he could pay was with PayPal.
I responded with "Too bad for you"
That's the last I heard from him.
Got a legitimate buyer and sold the car two days later (cash)
Oh yeah, his name online was Michael Bourke, (a good English name; an alias I am sure), but his terminology hinted that English wasn't his first language.

Last edited by Strange; 01-17-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:16 AM
Banned

Quote:

Old news.... its been going on for a long time now.

I think the tip off is... who would buy a truck in Canada sight unseen that they could get cheaper at home.... pay for delivery... not mind the metric odometer or the hassle at the boarder?

Nobody that I want to do business with.

Its the same old scam being repeated over and over again regardless of what you are selling though.
So... you have to be careful and this post serves to remind folks of that.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:37 AM

Tried selling something on there once and received a cheque for 1000$ more than selling price. My wife worked at a bank and could tell the cheque was fake! They wanted us to deposit the cheque and mail them the difference. By the time anyone would have notice they would have been long gone and because they never pick up the item there is nothing that can be done. Apparently there is "no loss of property"

I hate thieves!
Old 01-18-2013, 08:36 AM

When selling horse trailer got all kinds of weird emails from people on kijiji with strange requests.

Tried selling a car on Autotrader and kept getting dealers wanting to sell the car for us. Not sure many regular people view autotrader as opposed to kijiji as usually get more real action from kijiji.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:06 AM

Ppl need to close their minds to the idea of communicating via email and text when buying a selling.
Back in the days of bargain finder, we all had to pick up the phone.
This method still works. And is the best for making and closing a deal.
Emails come into me on my ads and I hit the delete button.
ppl text my landline and I erase and ignore.
I am here to tell you, 97% of the email inquiries are BS.
That's a fact!
Erase, delete, ignore.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 01-18-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeash1976 View Post
Tried selling something on there once and received a cheque for 1000$ more than selling price. My wife worked at a bank and could tell the cheque was fake! They wanted us to deposit the cheque and mail them the difference. By the time anyone would have notice they would have been long gone and because they never pick up the item there is nothing that can be done. Apparently there is "no loss of property"

I hate thieves!
Same thing. I had a fellow send 3 Money Orders. Of course for extra, just send the remainder with the item, minus handling fees of course. Took to the Bank and the teller started to deposit them. I said, I think these are fake, please check them, she said they look fine. I asked again, she went and got the Manager who looked at them and declared them to be fakes.
If I had listened to the teller and deposited them the bank would have went into my account late to reimburse themselves for the fakes. Their words. I said the teller said they were good; the manager said it doesn't matter. In the end, they will have their money back and I'll be out.
The fakes had a very subtle color shift in the printing, much like comic books used to every now and then. I only caught it on one spot because I was really looking for it.
Cash only, no sale unless looking at in person. Period.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:01 AM

Default scams

Pets are another area with lots of scams Offering dog's that normally go for $2000 to $2500 for prices like $300 All rip offs
Old 01-18-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin455 View Post
Same thing. I had a fellow send 3 Money Orders. Of course for extra, just send the remainder with the item, minus handling fees of course. Took to the Bank and the teller started to deposit them. I said, I think these are fake, please check them, she said they look fine. I asked again, she went and got the Manager who looked at them and declared them to be fakes.
If I had listened to the teller and deposited them the bank would have went into my account late to reimburse themselves for the fakes. Their words. I said the teller said they were good; the manager said it doesn't matter. In the end, they will have their money back and I'll be out.
The fakes had a very subtle color shift in the printing, much like comic books used to every now and then. I only caught it on one spot because I was really looking for it.
Cash only, no sale unless looking at in person. Period.
Even now you have to watch the bills they're giving you. I had a guy try to give me fake $20's for some camera gear.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
Ppl need to close their minds to the idea of communicating via email and text when buying a selling.
Back in the days of bargain finder, we all had to pick up the phone.
This method still works. And is the best for making and closing a deal.
Emails come into me on my ads and I hit the delete button.
ppl text my landline and I erase and ignore.
I am here to tell you, 97% of the email inquiries are BS.
That's a fact!
Erase, delete, ignore.
The best one I had was delivered over the telephone. A chief from a northern alberta reserve wanted to buy our house for a youth program.."we have all this government money and I have to spend it by the end of the quarter"....

He phoned six or seven times, and boy was he a good BSer!! In the end he had one 'councillor' that wouldn't vote his way to approve the deal and he needed only $1500 more to have enough to buy his vote! LOL

We informed the RCMP...and phoned the real chief to let him know what was going on....

Then we had the call from Mexico....wanted our place for a dog shelter....rich italian girl was her pitch!!
Old 01-18-2013, 05:49 PM

I just got another email and a phone call from this outfit who's willing to finance the buyer at no cost to me...what? This shinola is crazy.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
I just got another email and a phone call from this outfit who's willing to finance the buyer at no cost to me...what? This shinola is crazy.
I suggest complaining to the guy you paid to post the ad.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:06 PM

Thumbs down It happens here too folks

A few weeks back an Alberta Outdoorsmen Form member responded to WTB ad I placed on this site. I asked for jpegs of the rifle. He provided two of the best jpegs of the rifle I have ever seen. I vigorously surfed the web and found the jpegs he had down loaded. I continued to play with him sending him an email asking about the condition of the firearm. His response addressed each of the condition issues I asked about. It was all too good to be true. I then reported him to this site and was advised that he had been dropped as a member. It was then I emailed him back indicating that I had bundled up all of our email exchanges and sent them to the police. His reply was full of expletive deletives. Watch out for him as he is still around!!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:29 PM

Ya, I had an experience like that this week here. The difference is that the mods here are easy to get a hold of, have common sense, don't put up with crap and are great a fixing other people's moronic keystrokes.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:55 PM

Damn. Another scam. Was on KIJIJI looking for a 20-40hp outboard when i noticed a nice 35hp for sale. A few messages back and forth and i'm getting a sinking feeling. Won't answer "when was it last run" when asked 5 times. Noticed wording on a couple others seemed similar and sure enough, there is at least 3 "as new, low hours" motors at the same address. Has to get brother to show them to me, not actual pictures in ad. No actual pics available. Yadda-yadda-yadda.
[sigh] It gets old sometimes.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:56 PM

[QUOTE=CanuckShooter;1807355]The best one I had was delivered over the telephone. A chief from a northern alberta reserve wanted to buy our house for a youth program.."we have all this government money and I have to spend it by the end of the quarter"....

He phoned six or seven times, and boy was he a good BSer!! In the end he had one 'councillor' that wouldn't vote his way to approve the deal and he needed only $1500 more to have enough to buy his vote! LOL

We informed the RCMP...and phoned the real chief to let him know what was going on....

QUOTE]

Had a business up for sale a few years back, had a band member from the Mosquito First Nations call us multiple times on it, a very good BSer also,said they had extra to spend and my business was perfect for them. He then called looking for $10000 to get it to pass a vote through council. I told him not fu#$in likely . Probably should have called the rcmp also
Old 01-20-2013, 02:54 AM

[QUOTE=bear-scat;1808969]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
The best one I had was delivered over the telephone. A chief from a northern alberta reserve wanted to buy our house for a youth program.."we have all this government money and I have to spend it by the end of the quarter"....

QUOTE]

Had a business up for sale a few years back, had a band member from the Mosquito First Nations call us multiple times on it, a very good BSer also,said they had extra to spend and my business was perfect for them. He then called looking for $10000 to get it to pass a vote through council. I told him not fu#$in likely . Probably should have called the rcmp also
Probably the same perp.....:-)