Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2013, 05:39 PM

Default Alta heading for hell in a hand basket?

I am curious....how many Albertans are concerned about issues like this?? I don't know if this is even legit....but are we making a huge mistake by embracing this industry? Are we killing our environment for some numbers in our bank books?? Thoughts?
Old 01-17-2013, 06:03 PM

What's this we stuff? Last time I checked your a BC boy.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:09 PM

2020 that mean i still have 7 years to pack up and move to BC
Old 01-17-2013, 06:10 PM

Lol.
Guess I better sell out in 2019 and move to that little plot of land I've been looking for outside of Alberta. Or not...

Why is it always doom and gloom with the environment and oil/gas? I'd rather have a job and a good life than live in a yurt hut... I teach my kids to be thankful everyday that Hod gave us these resources. And I'm not religious!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Are we killing our environment for some numbers in our bank books??
Yes of course. Isn't that what we have been doing all over the world since the industrial revolution? Alberta oil industry is doing what its doing to service a market demand. If you want Alberta to stop then quit consuming, Don't want us to sell to China then quit buying Chinese products. If Quebec, California, BC or Belgium had tar sands they would be doing the same. Al Gore and David Suzuki would be pushing tar sands technology as the new green environmental break through if they had it in their backyard. They don't so they push the carbon credit greenwash scam.

And yah the link is a little biased to say the least.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:17 PM

This sums up my feelings about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhAB6...feature=relmfu
Old 01-17-2013, 06:18 PM

Why can't I see the pic?

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-17-2013, 06:22 PM

dont worry soo much Alberta collects plenty of decent royalties from the oilsands, well worth while..... Errrrr wait nevermind they get 25 cents a barrel and companys operate tax free untill the cap ex on projects is paid off haha. Companys are just like the workers they will cash out and get out when they are done making money.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
WE as humans...Canadians....and stewards of our environment and resources.

Bushrat,
I am aware it's going on all over the world....are we committing suicide? Are we being blinded by $$ signs at the expense of our children's right to clean air and water?

I'm looking for feedback from those working in the industry...are we poisoning our land, air and water with this industry? I'm sure it's a biased article, but you fellows see what is going on everyday at work.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
yup corb tells the story true ......
Old 01-17-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
Thanks, that was new to me. :-)
Old 01-17-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K View Post
Lol.
Guess I better sell out in 2019 and move to that little plot of land I've been looking for outside of Alberta. Or not...

Why is it always doom and gloom with the environment and oil/gas? I'd rather have a job and a good life than live in a yurt hut... I teach my kids to be thankful everyday that Hod gave us these resources. And I'm not religious!!!
What are we leaving for our children. Yes were living big, and bitching the whole way about how bad off we are. Some day our kids are going to have a look through a critical eye, will they be proud of us? All to keep a bunch of commies, who are not our friends happy. China west. Sad.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-17-2013, 07:08 PM
Banned

Who is this person is and what published papers has he written?

Having a job at Taylor Flats B.C. Now that indicates this guy is real winner.

How many of you know where Taylor Flats BC is? Nice little town.

Until then, I consider this person a loser chemistry student who joined the granola box of B.C. with the fruits, nuts, and flakes.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:12 PM

There's a heck of a lot more going on than that little paper, there's been a few studies put on here, guess what nobody wants to talk about it.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-17-2013, 07:22 PM

Someone needs to release that bear hug they have on that tree.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:28 PM

Whats with all the communist pinko's around AO these days?

I worry about the Oil Sands yes.

I worry we are not going to get it all out of the ground and sell it fast enough to prevent the "your work is my wealth" crowd from taxing all the profit right out of it.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
There's a heck of a lot more going on than that little paper, there's been a few studies put on here, guess what nobody wants to talk about it.
Well I read a lot of nasty things about the industry...and I know a lot of it is trash reporting so I thought it would be interesting to see what industry workers thoughts were on the subject.

Don't take it wrong, I work in a pulp mill and the industry isn't a shining star where the environment is concerned....and I'm not rosey clean either, diesel driving, atv, wood burning.....no pot calling the kettle black here!!

My gut feeling tells me that if the worlds population keeps growing, and industry along with it....our kids future is probably going to be bleak. Maybe that's the proper question to pose?
Old 01-17-2013, 07:40 PM
Banned

Hey CS:

Were you living in PG in the days before any pollution control?

You needed to clean your throat out from PG by the time you hit Quesnel.

And at Quesnel you were choked up again.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
WE as humans...Canadians....and stewards of our environment and resources.

Bushrat,
I am aware it's going on all over the world....are we committing suicide? Are we being blinded by $$ signs at the expense of our children's right to clean air and water?

I'm looking for feedback from those working in the industry...are we poisoning our land, air and water with this industry? I'm sure it's a biased article, but you fellows see what is going on everyday at work.
Im sure there are plenty of environmental problems that arise from the oilfield, but guess what I drive a pick up with a v8, I heat my house with a natural gas furnace and have a natural gas water heater. 80% of everything I own is made out of plastic. Like it or not we need oil and I believe that the oil industry in alberta does try to make sure the environment is damaged as little as possible, trust me if we have any sort of spill at work that isnt dealt with properly the ercb raises a chit storm. To me I think if you are a true environmentalist you should be more worried about what is going on in the asian countries that dont have the same strict rules as we do.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 01-17-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Hey CS:

Were you living in PG in the days before any pollution control?

You needed to clean your throat out from PG by the time you hit Quesnel.

And at Quesnel you were choked up again.

Our family moved there due to the mill construction jobs...it's a lot better now, but the town can still get pretty smogged in.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:11 PM

Tell you what all you doom and gloom anti oil folks, when you learn to live with out oil and it's byproducts you got my ear...in the mean time hypocrites ain't worth my time.

Kind of like the stewards of the environment in the idle no more movement. If they are so good at looking after the world why is their water not fit to drink.I try to not crap in my drinking water ... not rocket science or most of us.

Sick of ass-hats pointing the finger and not walking the walk.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Well I read a lot of nasty things about the industry...and I know a lot of it is trash reporting so I thought it would be interesting to see what industry workers thoughts were on the subject.

Don't take it wrong, I work in a pulp mill and the industry isn't a shining star where the environment is concerned....and I'm not rosey clean either, diesel driving, atv, wood burning.....no pot calling the kettle black here!!

My gut feeling tells me that if the worlds population keeps growing, and industry along with it....our kids future is probably going to be bleak. Maybe that's the proper question to pose?
The question probably should be what's it all going to look like for our childrens, children.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-17-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Lots of takers like to refer to Alberta's resources as "ours".

We'll do what we like with our resources, including our oil and our gas. Thanks for comin' out.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyelk View Post
Tell you what all you doom and gloom anti oil folks, when you learn to live with out oil and it's byproducts you got my ear...in the mean time hypocrites ain't worth my time.

Kind of like the stewards of the environment in the idle no more movement. If they are so good at looking after the world why is their water not fit to drink.I try to not crap in my drinking water ... not rocket science or most of us.

Sick of ass-hats pointing the finger and not walking the walk.
Everyone who craps is crapping in someone's drinking water eventually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
Lots of takers like to refer to Alberta's resources as "ours".

We'll do what we like with our resources, including our oil and our gas. Thanks for comin' out.[/out.
More like foriegn owned business will do what they like, crap in our yard then go home when all is said and done
Old 01-17-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Bushrat,

I don't think we are committing suicide, at least not for our generation, that time is aways away. We are slowly chipping away the days until it comes if we do not change. Thing is, we do change, always have changed and adapt with each generation to all the forecasted doomsdays. I call it just in time social/environmental intervention. If the present generation is not really directly affected it gets bandaids and then passed on to the next generation, the track record shows we have always come up with enough generational bandaids to avoid present catastrophies just as we have it since it all started. The environment is extremely durable, self healing and adaptable much like humans. As technology changes so will humanity and the environment. Neither is static. If todays present population lived as it did at the beginning of the industrial revolution the world would be a sewer of epic proportions. Just as the people of the past couldn't fathom how we live today we really can't predict how we will deal with things in the future, but deal with them we will. As technology and environment evolve, time goes by things change, it will not be perfect but I believe we will have a tolerable relationship between man and the environment, no worse than today. If you took stock in the predictions of scientists of past generations we wouldn't be here now. Listening to the fear mongering media industry of the present it would seem we won't be here much into the future. I think we will be here a long time and it won't be anything like present predictions forecast. It will never be a perfect relationship between the two, it never has been.

I don't work in the oil industry, I could do my job anywhere in Canada. But the town I live in wouldn't exist without oil, so, yes my job here is dependant on oil. When I lived in BC I did the same job but the community I lived in depended on forestry, pretty much a ghost town these days.. When I lived in N.B my town was dependant on potatoes and pulp, so was my job. As long as people eat french fries and buy paper I can still get a job there.

I see the man vs environment as a catch 22 situation, man depends on the environment for wealth, without wealth we can not improve the environment. We could all go back to pre industrial revolution populations and lifestyle. I don't think anyone really seriously wants to do that.

Last edited by Bushrat; 01-17-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:19 PM
Banned

Check out Geoff Dalsin's reading list: HERE

Just remember, if you question the impact of industrial activity on the environment, you are not a real Albertan.

Hell in a hand basket? Naw...

Something far worse I am sure.

We are China with Unions.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:32 PM

If you don't like it move! Go back to Newfoundland or New Brunswick or Ontario!!! Bahahaha!!! Then the rest of us can finally get back fishing wiauu lake by ourselves and to voting in politicians who aren't "politically correct" but know how to budget and have Albertas best interest in mind!!! Hee hee hee I been wanting to
Let that loose for a while now!!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Until then, I consider this person a loser chemistry student who joined the granola box of B.C. with the fruits, nuts, and flakes.
I like it.

"From my cold dead hands!"
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Thomas Jefferson
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often
and for the same reason." - Mark Twain
Old 01-17-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:

I am curious....how many Albertans are concerned about issues like this?? I don't know if this is even legit....but are we making a huge mistake by embracing this industry? Are we killing our environment for some numbers in our bank books?? Thoughts?
Try looking up Henry Ford.
"They will Poison the world," then ask your self, why prohibition? Why is hemp "****** weed", "Demon weed" and why was it banned? along with stills? then get back too us.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:58 PM

Default really?

i find it funny that Alberta is always the energy resource prvince...BC has huge resource plays that have provided alot of royalty $$ for the south coast. last time i was in FSJ they still had dirt roads??? i find it funny clark will push her gas pipeline from the NE of bc accross to the liquifying plants but calls out the oil pipeline that redford wants to piggy back on the line??? Shell, EnCana, Tourmaline, Crew, NEXEN, Progress (petronas), Apache, Questerre, EOG, Conoco, CNRL, and many JV's have a huge amount of their budgets in BC, not alberta.....glad this GP boy is servicing it and brining it home to the motherland, stay south of chetwynd with your head in the sand, some of us will gladly drive accross on hwy 43, every day, 15x a day.