Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2013, 11:16 AM

Default Tank Top heater problem

I have the remington tank top heater and out of nowhere last night it just shut off then when i pressed the button trying to light it no propane was coming out. I left it for 20 min then tried again and it lit and ran for about 10 then just shut off again. I left it for a bit again then tried again and it lit and ran for about 40 min then just shut off again. I know the tanks full but when i press the button i hear no hissing and no propane comes out so it wont light.
Anyone have any problems like this or suggestions?
Thanks
Old 01-19-2013, 11:57 AM

Does it have a thermo coupling?
Old 01-19-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigsy View Post
I have the remington tank top heater and out of nowhere last night it just shut off then when i pressed the button trying to light it no propane was coming out. I left it for 20 min then tried again and it lit and ran for about 10 then just shut off again. I left it for a bit again then tried again and it lit and ran for about 40 min then just shut off again. I know the tanks full but when i press the button i hear no hissing and no propane comes out so it wont light.
Anyone have any problems like this or suggestions?
Thanks
I bought two Remingtons from CT when they were on sale before Christmas. I had nothing but trouble from day 1, really difficult to impossible to light.

So I returned them both.

Did you buy them recently too?
Old 01-19-2013, 12:09 PM

Not sure what a thermo coupling is to be honest ha..

And no ive had it for about two months and its ran perfect
Old 01-19-2013, 01:20 PM

Thermocouple is a little metal rod that senses the pilot light burning, if the thermocouple is no good it won't sense the pilot light and it will automatically close the main valve. Thermocouples are easy to replace and cost about nine bucks at Canadian tire.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:56 PM

A thermocouple is a small probe that has a bimetallic element enclosed in its tip, it generates a millivoltage of electricity when heated (such as by a pilot flame). This electrical current is usually utilized to power a small electromagnet that's either holding open a gas valve or an electrical relay; both units would have a spring trying to shut them that is overcome by the electromagnetic solenoid (this is why you have to press a button when lighting them, you are manually setting that plunger to be held open by the electromagnet). When the flame is extinguished, too small, incorrectly impinging on the thermocouple or if the thermocouple isn't generating enough power the valve or switch will close, providing a reliable measure of safety shut-off in the system.

Thermopile's are basically the same thing, but generate more power than a thermocouple. Any of you with a natural gas fireplace can look in and see the pilot flame impinging on a thermopile which powers the entire fireplace gas control.