Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-29-2014, 12:58 AM

Default Snow/Survival suits. Which do you own and why?

I'm looking into getting some good quality winter weather gear for the upcoming Ice season. Looking for info on what people are using, what to look for when purchasing and what to avoid.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 10-29-2014, 09:28 AM

Halle-Hansen...at Mark's
Old 10-29-2014, 10:12 AM

I've been using this:
https://www.idigear.com/arcticarmor.php

and this:
http://www.nebulusflotation.com/prod...D_overview.php
Old 10-30-2014, 11:11 PM

How about a regular Mustang floater jacket? They're about $300-$400. Mine has the beaver-tail so you
always have something dry to sit on, plus HUGE front pockets. If I was exiled to the Alaskan wilderness
and could only bring either an axe, a rifle, or my floater jacket, I would probably choose the jacket.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:30 PM

I have the Rapala ice fishing jacket and bibs. Wind proof, water resistant, warm as hell!
Old 10-30-2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJax View Post
I have the Rapala ice fishing jacket and bibs. Wind proof, water resistant, warm as hell!
X2 I have the Rapala interface bibs and jacket, mustang bibs and jacket and frabill stormsuit were the Rapala most of the time warmer then frabill and more comfortable then mustang..
And cheaper then both.

Mack
Old 10-31-2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbotism View Post
X2 for the Arctic Armor floating pants and jacket. Very warm and IT FLOATS!. Only drawback is that it doesn't breath very well.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:45 AM
Banned

I have a one piece helly hansen Floater. I have always had mustang one piece suits before hand. They are ugly, warm and keep me a float. .. which unfortunately has happened a few times fishing first ice
Old 10-31-2014, 08:13 AM

Artic armour as well, very warm and light
Old 10-31-2014, 08:36 AM

Striker Climate Bib and Jacket. Lots of pockets, Floats, magnetic flap closures instead of Velcro so no freeze ups, lots of vents for when inside of a tent or the weather gets warmer, insulating liners come out so again when it's warmer your not sweating, close to full length side zips on the pants makes them easy on and off with boots, the 3 way zips on the bibs makes it so you can make a vent any size and any location along the side of the pant (which is great on warm days or the drive to and from the lake), even has a beverage holder, Wired hood brim so it does not fall down in front on your eyes. Bib length is adjustable, The jacket has a good articulation at the elbow which is important if you plan on jigging, that way the jacket does not bind there and jigging is effortless. etc etc. Only draw back I have found it that when it is very cold there is not enough insulation on the top of the shoulders so I just wear a light down jacket inside and problem solved.
I had a frabill Jacket and bibs but they were way to hot most of the time. They were good if you were standing still and it was cold outside, but as soon as you started to move or drill a hole you were sweating, which for me leads to getting chilled for the rest of the day. With the Striker as soon as you start moving you open the vents and you don't have this problem. One last problem with the Striker is there is no dealer in Alberta to try them on before you buy them. I would have also put more padding/insulation in the knees, they have some but I would have liked more or at least have a pocket in the knee so you could add or subtract as to your fishing style.

Good luck in your quest this year

Last edited by cube; 10-31-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:24 AM

I had a Helly Hansen one piece floater suit I paid $400 for, and I was so unhappy with it I actually gave it away. It wasn't the suit, it was the fit. I tried several on in the store and selected a xxl as my size. Unfortunately in the real world of cold fishing it was very uncomfortable, always digging into my crotch. Now keep in mind I'm 6'3". Quite possibly if you are shorter a one piece will be wonderful.

But if you are taller, always get a two piece floater suit. A one piece can feel comfortable in the store when you are trying it on, but once you are in the real world fishing, bending, and sitting down and getting up all the time, you won't be comfortable in a one piece suit.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:40 PM

I'm really interested in the Striker ice suit, but I can only find them online. I would like to try one on before making the big purchase. Does anyone know which stores carry them in the Edmonton area?
Old 10-31-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher8 View Post
I'm really interested in the Striker ice suit, but I can only find them online. I would like to try one on before making the big purchase. Does anyone know which stores carry them in the Edmonton area?
There are none in Alberta. The closest in Canada, I believe, is in Ontario.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:24 PM

Thanks Cube! Well I'm going to gamble on a large size.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks Cube! Well I'm going to gamble on a large size.
For what it's worth the p[ants fit big and the jacket fits small. If you look on their web site it says if you have an experienced tummy get one size larger.

I must say I do love my Striker suit. Comfy from first ice to last ice.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
There Dealers list is here.

http://www.strikerice.com/index.php/2014-07-22-06-48-21

Got mine from http://redskyoutfitters.com/ as it was $40 less than getting from Stricker directly.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:58 AM

btt

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 11-26-2014, 09:02 AM

I have the 2 piece Mustang survival suit and really like it. Its warm enough in the cold to use when plowing the driveway on my quad at -23. The one problem with it is you had better ask you woman for lessons on how to pee because it doesnt have a fly. You have to take off the jacket and drop the bibs to pee.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:58 PM

I dont mean to bash anyone here but i have a $40 2-piece winter jacket, one size larger for my hoodie (which i wear undernith) and a $40 pair of snow pants from Costco.

Granted i do have a rather pricy pair of Baffin Boots simply because some things you cannot afford to not have. My point is, ive been in as much as -25 and quite comfy.

Money may buy a nice suite but it cant teach one to fish.

To each his own i suppose.

Again, not trying to impose on anyones prefrence, just stating to those (like myself, reading this thread, whom don't have hundreds to spend on a suite) that its not needed to go out and enjoy a cold day on a ice.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:17 PM

Don't own any "survival suit"

layer up with sweats and cheap snow pants, and usually wear about 5 layers up top. Peel them off when it gets warmer and put them back on when it gets cold and I'm always a comfortable temp. Most of the time my outer shell is just a Dakota work jacket from Mark's

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 12-06-2014, 01:49 PM

Im usually layered up starting in October, but I do like first ice trout fishing, which thanks to work I missed. so with early ice in mind some type of floater/survival suit is what I'd like now that I have the cash to spend on one. I'm probably going to spend that money on a tropical vacation but will be looking for something come spring sale time, or just bite the bullet and get one sooner anyway.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:57 PM

Striker, hands down the best out of all them. They have floater models. They are made to fit true or even a little large. Rapala and frabill fit small. I normally wear a 2xl and even the 3xl in both the rapala and frabill was tight. Ordered striker without trying any on and it was the best money spent. Theyre made with us larger fellows in mind. im 6'3" and 330 pounds. Striker bibs have the ability to make them shorter or longer which is an added bonus for the guys who need the larger sizes but still have short legs. I wouldn't even look at any other brands anymore, Striker all the way. Quick shipping, easy no hassle ordering. Ive literally been way to hot wearing mine before. Never even been remotely cold in them at any tempeorature. You wont be disappointed with Striker brand outerwear.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:31 PM

I have the striker hard water suit and love it. I like the fact that it has more insulation for those colder days when fishing without a shelter. I was a little worried when I bought it that the suit would be too warm on the warmer days. But I just take off the jacket and unzip the vents on the the side of the bibbs. Stay dry all day kneeling in the slush. My wife also worries a lot less when I am fishing in the early and late season. If I was to have to make the purchase all over again I would buy the same thing