Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-24-2014, 01:51 PM

Default Ultralight Rod & Reel Recommendations

Hi guys,

What would you recommend for an ultralight rod and reel? I have a total of $150 to spend. I'm looking for an ultimate river/creek/small lake trout rod that can cast tiny spinners to the moon! Not sure if a one or two piece is better or not...I'm open to your recommendations and preferably with a reason to back them up :-)
Old 10-24-2014, 07:12 PM

i bought an ultra light rod by fenwick from the fishing hole last year and finally used it this year and works incredible, i used one of my ice fishing reels on to it for portability and love it. the cost was $60 i think, i bought it mainly as my perch rod and its so sensitive to the lightest bites. mine is a 2 piece because i like the portability factor when hitting tight spots.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:31 PM

I have been wondering the same thing to fill out my kit. Following.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:33 AM
Banned

River runner by Fenwick for your rod

Shimano Stratic C14+ 1000
For the reel

Close to $400 for the set up
Old 10-25-2014, 08:13 AM

wow , reading is important he said he has 150 dollars
Old 10-25-2014, 08:27 AM
Banned

Fenwick hmg prefered or hmx some are 1 piece. .. match with a flueger on sale. Should be you pretty close to 150 range
Old 10-25-2014, 08:32 AM

I've got a Fenwick River Runner in Ultralight and Super light up for sale in the Buy and Sell section.....take a look!
Old 10-25-2014, 08:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chop View Post
wow , reading is important he said he has 150 dollars

The op asked for the ultimate I answered him.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:53 AM

My light setup is a Fenwick Eagle GT 7' ML 4 Piece rod($60 at fishing hole) and Shimano Sahara 1000 FE($100) loaded with 10 lb PP and an 8 lb fluoro line leader($15).

I like this setup for a number of reasons.

a) It is light enough that I can cast the smallest spinners and spoons a good distance.
b) The rod has enough backbone I can cast and troll small size crankbaits.
c) 4 piece works great for hike in spots etc, can fit right inside a backpack.
d) The rod is sensitive enough I can feel little bites but strong enough I can set the hook well.
e) I can use this rod for perch, small trout, big trout, small walleye and even small pike if I want.

Overall I really like this combination and it is pretty close to your budget. To get under your budget you could use the same rod with a Pfleuger President 20 or 25.($70-$80). Not quite as smooth but still a good reel.

Only downside to this setup is that being a 4 piece I find I bump it out of alignment every once in a while and have casted a section off once but that is minor imo.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:38 PM

I don't do a lot of ultralight fishing, but when I do I use a 6' UL Shimano Sellus with a 500 size Shimano Sahara.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 10-26-2014, 12:03 AM

I loved my Omni Forester rod. 9'6" but about the size of a pencil at the handle. caught a 16# steelhead on it with a 1000 series reel. the tip was 4" from the butt when I tried to pull the fish around from runs. I upgraded to heavier gear for less stressful fights but still that setup was a blast.

rod cost was about $90, reel was $45. Lead, swivel and corky about $1.50. out fished the flea flickers with their 2500$ spey rods (plus reel and line for additional$$).

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 10-26-2014, 03:11 AM

I've had a fenwick river runner in the super light size for over 2 years now. Picked it up at wholesale sports for $95. Love the rod! It will cast very light lures a long ways because it has a flex through the blank toward the grip instead of just flexing at the tip. It also works good for a slingshot cast in tight spaces with overhanging branches. It is fun with small fish and easily handled a few 3lb pike and walleye I hooked up with. I normally use it for perch, trout and goldeye. I like the feel of the grip too, comfortable in the hand. This rod wouldn't leave much money for a reel though.
Just for fun with the kids I also have an Eagle Claw Featherlight fiberglass rod. It only cost about 15/20 bucks on Amazon.ca and will whip out little spinners quite a ways. It's a fun rod to play with and not worry about breaking with kids around it. It's no comparison to the river runner though as you would expect.
I can't speak to a decent reel in the price range you mention although I've heard many good things about the little reels shimano makes in the 1000 size. I'd like to try some of their 500 size reels sometime.
Good luck in your hunt. Ultralight really is fun!
Old 10-26-2014, 05:44 AM

If you plan on creek or river fishing go relatively cheap you will fall at some point and break the rod. I've had quite a few over the years until I grabbed an ugly stick. It in the ultra lite size for spinners is plenty in the sensitivity and casts a number 4 Panther Martin a mile. Buy a decent reel though that is where I would spend my dough.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:37 AM
Banned

I'd go with 1000 size reel, 500 is just too small, coils the line too much. For a rod I've got St. Croix avid 5'5" UL, awesome little stick, pulled a 5lb pike out of a lake with it. Another one that I started with UL fishing is a raPALA F2 6'6" UL, decent blank but horrible cork on handle.

Ultra light is fishing with 4 lb and smaller lines, there is no need to putt on a 10lb braid with these rods, you can only damage your rig, rod and reel for UL fishing are not meant for pressure a 10lb braid can withstand.

Anyways, I'd go with a shimano reel, Sedona is plenty good for the money. As for rod there is lots to choose from regarding length and power that suits your needs. Keep in mind lures you plan to use the most that should determine your rod action and power.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:04 AM

Spend $50 on eBay for the best ultralight reel you can find...more ball bearings the better. Then buy the best rod locally with the remaining money.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Bull-Shark-11...item4d18b7e3ea

This reel for instance.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-26-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
Ultra light is fishing with 4 lb and smaller lines, there is no need to putt on a 10lb braid with these rods, you can only damage your rig, rod and reel for UL fishing are not meant for pressure a 10lb braid can withstand.
The 10 lb braid I use is on a ML rod not a UL rod. I honestly don't see the point in a UL unless your main plan is to target 6 inch fish(trout, perch or sunfish) with 1/16 oz and smaller lures(something my ML is still capable of just not the best choice for).

One thing to note is that not all ML's are the same just as all UL and L's are not the same. I believe the Eagle GT that I use is a moderate or moderate fast action so that helps you load up the rod when using tiny lures like say the smallest panther martins(1/32 oz). If you tried to cast a 1/32 oz lure with a XF ML you probably wouldn't get enough distance because you wouldn't be able to load the rod up.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:17 AM

I have trout rods that very in price from $20.00 to $350.00 (excluding fly rods).

Depends on what and where you are fishing.

8-13 foot "float rods" are specialized rods. And you will not like them in and around small creeks and bush.

Op asked for UL rods so that kind of rules out lite rods.

Lots of rods out there that are in the right range. I would suggest a 5'6" or even a 6' UL rod. Most main line brands have some in that range. Prices will very from about $30.00 to $65.00. Top with a 500 series reel(I prefer Shimano but others are fine too) and you are set. Fill with 4 pound mono and you are good to go. I prefer mono mostly but have several spools on hand with 4/1 spiderwire and 5/1 power pro.

Note - The reel you should select should ideally have wide spool rather than narrow. guess I mean longer this ( )= not this ()=. Better casting.

And or as said you could go to 1000 series if you dont mind the balance.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:01 PM
Banned

500 size reels do balance this short rods, but picking up slack line in moving water takes a lot of cranking . For still water fishing it's fine.

UL gear is not meant just for 6" fish and smaller, that Is a myth. It's about ability to present tiny baits to vary fish of any size. I don't target big fish with UL rigs, but I see no problem fighting anything in ab up to 10lb.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:53 PM

I am just surprised that it took 13 posts for someone to recommend an ugly stick.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Spend $50 on eBay for the best ultralight reel you can find...more ball bearings the better. Then buy the best rod locally with the remaining money.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Bull-Shark-11...item4d18b7e3ea

This reel for instance.
Why would you buy an off brand reel on EBay when there's lots of options you can buy locally that will be better quality and you'll have service after the sale?

Also, more ball bearings = better reel is a myth. You want QUALITY bearings. Three or four good quality bearings are far superior to 10 or 12 poor quality bearing.

There's lots of good options on this thread and it comes down to buying the best quality you can afford in the brand and model that you like best. You can't go wrong with the Shimano, Fenwick, etc... rods and the Shimano reels that others have recommended.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
Why would you buy an off brand reel on EBay when there's lots of options you can buy locally that will be better quality and you'll have service after the sale?

Also, more ball bearings = better reel is a myth. You want QUALITY bearings. Three or four good quality bearings are far superior to 10 or 12 poor quality bearing.

There's lots of good options on this thread and it comes down to buying the best quality you can afford in the brand and model that you like best. You can't go wrong with the Shimano, Fenwick, etc... rods and the Shimano reels that others have recommended.
X2 on the number of bearings not meaning anything regarding quality.

I have a 1000 size Quantum reel with 10 bearings that I won't even use for ice fishing because it's that big of a POS.

For $50 I'd rather go for a Shimano Solstace with 3+1 bearings over a 10 bearing off brand reel.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 10-28-2014, 09:22 AM

Wow, thanks guys! I'm not sure if this made my decision easier or harder...haha..I can see Ultralight fishing is fairly popular and done by passionate fishermen! In the end I did go with Fenwick - wasn't planning on it, but I work close to the Fishin Hole and went in at lunch. The St. Croix's looked cool, but so expensive. Then this Fenwick kind of called to me - looked like the thinnest rod in the shop, so I bought it for $60. For the reel I let the Fishin Hole staff recommend a reel - was an ultralight one - didn't spin as freely as I would've liked to see, but oh well, was $35. After reading your posts I'm inclined to agree with going with a larger reel - probably spins way better, although then the line would hit the bottom guide more so maybe that's a negative? I'll experiment maybe, I can trade out the reel. As for the rod it is light and think will be awesome, but I think it was Rav that mentioned maybe the flimsiest rod might not offer a good hookset, so I'll see how that pans out. All in all I might have to take a trip back and exchange the reel, or try it out and then fine tune it later. Thanks for all your advice and recommendations! Now, how do I make time go into warp speed for next spring so I can use the darn thing? :-)
Old 10-28-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binnzer32 View Post
Fenwick hmg prefered or hmx some are 1 piece. .. match with a flueger on sale. Should be you pretty close to 150 range
I got to agree with this, i have a similar setup and love it.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:48 AM

Should have no problem with hook sets on trout with an UL. Or any other species for that matter. Also doesnt hurt to make sure your hooks are sharp.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:54 PM
Banned

Cool

Browning medallion 5' 7" ul with any small shimano reel . Easily under budget I use 4lb Berkley big game . Bulls and browns to 20"+ tons of fun with enough umph to stay in control.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
X2 on the number of bearings not meaning anything regarding quality.

I have a 1000 size Quantum reel with 10 bearings that I won't even use for ice fishing because it's that big of a POS.

For $50 I'd rather go for a Shimano Solstace with 3+1 bearings over a 10 bearing off brand reel.

X3 on quality bearings. I have a Stradic1000FH which I bought over a decade ago with 3 bearings. At the time the guy was trying to sell me on a 10 bearing quantum and it didn't even come close... 10 years later the stradic works just like the day I bought it, love it!
Old 10-29-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJax View Post
X3 on quality bearings. I have a Stradic1000FH which I bought over a decade ago with 3 bearings. At the time the guy was trying to sell me on a 10 bearing quantum and it didn't even come close... 10 years later the stradic works just like the day I bought it, love it!
Agreed with the Stradic ... but there goes the budget on the rod .... I have a stradic on my light action rod - but I think it was $ 130 or so???

I'd suggest a Abu Garcia Ora S in a 10 size - about $70 and has the best drag of any similarly priced reel - for mid market reels its my opinion Abu Garcia is amongst the best products out there. It has 7 bearings, silky smooth drag but is about 1 oz heavier than other reels of similar size.

Both Abu Garcia and Shimano get my vote. When looking at mid market reels - ($70-$150) usually the Abu wins for me.

For a rod - Fenwick HMX 7 foot Light Action gets my vote. For $80 it's the best value out there.

I would go top a St.Croix ( spend another $40 ) but it would put you over budget ...... St.Croix is my favourite stick out there.