Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-28-2014, 05:44 PM

Default Mayan Riveria fishing trip

Just got back from a trip down to the Mayan Riviera and though I'd share it with you. This was our 10 year wedding anniversary so we went with some family, 8 of us and a 2 year old. We stayed at the Barceló Maya Tropical and I would definitely recommend it if you are going down there. We've been to Mexico a few times and this rates near the top of my experiences, only second to our first trip which was also at this resort, 10 years ago.

Food and service was great, the grounds are amazing, and the beach pretty good too. You can snorkel right at the resort, saw a lot of different fish and lots of turtles. The pools are great, clean and very kid friendly.

The weather wasn't the best so I only got out fishing once. It was only a 4 hour shared trip that I booked thru the dive shop at the resort. I expected to be sharing the boat with 6 people but when we got to the marina there was only 4 which was a bonus. Cost was $135 US, pick up and drop off at the hotel.

The boat was the HIBOB 11, with Captain Enrique and Mate Alfonso. Other than saying hello, the captain just drove the boat and looked after 2 rods from the top deck. I guess he found some fish too so he did his job. Alfonso on the other hand, was all over the boat doing everything which is typical on those trips and talked a lot about fishing with us. This is the slow season for anything big but Alfonso said they had just caught a good sized sailfish and a couple big Mahi Mahi the day before.

We only trolled around because it was pretty rough and unable to anchor. In the first 2 hours we caught 6 small Bonito, 1 small Mahi Mahi, and 1 Wahoo with everything released except for the Wahoo. Luckily it was my turn on the rod when the Wahoo hit. It was a pretty good fight (not as good as a sturgeon of the same size though), it was almost 4 feet long. It was even tougher to bring it in for this short guy sitting in the fighting chair since my feet didn't touch the deck. Right after this, the rod goes again and it is a 2 foot Mahi Mahi, a small one so it went back. Those were the two highlights of the day but for a 4 hour trip of trolling I thought this was pretty good. The last 2 hours was slow without any hook ups. If we could have only bottom fished for the last couple hours, all in all it was still a great day. Here's a couple pics of the resort....and of course, the fish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mex-Oct22-2014 (4).jpg (33.1 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_3970.jpg (46.3 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_4018.jpg (67.5 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg Bonito.jpg (41.8 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg Mahi Mahi.jpg (49.2 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_4045.jpg (65.1 KB, 169 views)
Old 10-28-2014, 07:45 PM

Beauty Wahoo!!
Old 10-28-2014, 07:59 PM

looks like a good trip bud, congrats on the wahoo!
Old 10-28-2014, 08:41 PM

did you yell "Wahoo" when you caught it! looks like you had a good time. congrats on your 10th . almost time to trade those shorts for your parka

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 10-28-2014, 08:41 PM

Did they leave the boat in gear and drag the fish while you reeled it in? That is what they did in St. Lucia when I caught my wahoo and it really takes the fight out of it. I bet a wahoo like that on the right gear would be an absolute blast as they are supposed to be one of the fastest fish out there.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:21 AM

The Wahoo is a bucket list fish for me. congrats.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 10-29-2014, 04:44 PM

Gracias Amigos!

Wahoo is definitely a fitting name Wayne, and surprisingly I'm actually looking forward to fishing in a parka.

Ya, Rav we were pulling six lines so they kept the boat moving forward just enough to keep them straight. Wahoo hit on the downrigger rod, which fittingly was an Ugly Stik.