Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: Social or private fisherman
Social ( Hey Good Morning) 64 54.24%
Private ( Dont talk to me im fishing and stay away) 54 45.76%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2018, 07:21 AM

Default Social Fisherman or Private?

Ok just wanted to ask everyone, When you go Ice Fishing or summer fishing are you social or do you keep to yourself? Do you get upset when someone fishes by you or do you say good morning and BS? Well for me I am a social person so if someone is near me or looking at me I will always wave or greet them with a good day/morning/afternoon etc. As for fishing by me, as long as they arnt in casting range it doesn't bother me.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:23 AM
Banned

You asked two different questions and each may have a different response, i have no issues chatting up people when out fishing, saying good morning or even talking up other things but there is no need for anyone to set up righ beside me, its a big lake or stream. I may chat people up,,,hows the fishing etc but I will move on, I try to give people a few hundred yards of space.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
You asked two different questions and each may have a different response, i have no issues chatting up people when out fishing, saying good morning or even talking up other things but there is no need for anyone to set up righ beside me, its a big lake or stream. I may chat people up,,,hows the fishing etc but I will move on, I try to give people a few hundred yards of space.
X2 I'm friendly, but give me my space.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-11-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post

X3

No issues saying hello, shooting the **** for a short while and comparing notes can be great. However, if your not part of my group then please give me some space. I cant answer your poll because I do both, just depends on the timing. you need a selection for a friendly hello and then a good luck as you part ways.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:35 AM

I am friendly but like my space but no way do I expect a few hundred yards. Give me my casting distance and a small buffer, 20 feet or so, and I am fine.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:44 AM

Fishing is a way for me to get some much-needed time away from people. I don't mind if you say 'hi' or ask a question or two as we pass, but going out of your way to have a conversation with me will probably irritate me, though I probably won't show it.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 03-11-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
X4
Old 03-11-2018, 09:01 AM
Banned

I enjoy shooting the **** at the end of the day after pulling the boat away from the launch and comparing notes and almost always offer a friendly hello when waiting my turn at the launch but once on the water I kind of prefer to keep to myself though I do still smile and wave to passerbys but if asked if I’m catching anything the answer is usually no. I’ve had too many decide to drop anchor and fish within a few feet if answering yes not giving courtesy to offer breathing room. Same with shoreline fishing. If someone just has to start casting and next thing I know they are causing me to move my line to avoid being tangled I tell them albeit “nicely” to show some courtesy and give some space....
Old 03-11-2018, 09:27 AM

I'm OK with a hello and brief chat, but:

Give me my space to cast out my fly;

Don't come between me and the shore line when I'm working the edges;

And, especially, please don't have orgasmic screams every time you catch a fish!
Old 03-11-2018, 10:15 AM
Banned

Fishing is a great way to center yourself and reflect. I like being on my own with just me a line and the fish. But I have no problem saying hello
Old 03-11-2018, 10:17 AM

A short pleasant greeting and chat is enough for me. Im not looking for friends when im fishing. I like my space and prefer to fish alone.
It amazes me when people who know i fish get all twisted when i turn them down to take them fishing. Its nothing personal its just my way.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:34 PM

Fly fishing in particular is a way for me to connect with nature. I usually fish alone and love the quiet, but I don't mind saying hi and a quick chitchat.
I usually fish away from other people and hate it when people come and hoard in on me. I don't mind if someone I know and like fishes near by as long as they don't talk my ear off!
Old 03-11-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post

And, especially, please don't have orgasmic screams every time you catch a fish!
Agreed, hooting, hollering, yelling drives me nuts, if they are 4 years old then fine ....but adults?? That and having to listen to stereos blaring away.

Being sociable is fine, I don't mind chatting with like minded people when I meet them on the stream. Most experienced fly fishermen are pretty decent that way and will give you some space, the ones that see you catch a fish, come over and start casting into your spot well they are boneheads. In my mind fly fishing is a quiet sport, I like time to reflect on my own thoughts and listen to the stream, the birds and take in nature.

Last edited by Bushrat; 03-11-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
Fishing is a way for me to get some much-needed time away from people. I don't mind if you say 'hi' or ask a question or two as we pass, but going out of your way to have a conversation with me will probably irritate me, though I probably won't show it.
Yep. I try and get away from people.

Dodger.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:32 PM

I enjoy a chance to talk about fishing and possible techniques or game plan for the day at the launch before taking the boat out, or afterwards. But when im on the water i prefer to have lots of space if possible. I fish areas that are more unknown for a reason to try and get away from everything for a little while and enjoy all the little things of the specific company im with and simplicity of fishing.... not that people really get super in the way of that, but i have had so many times you catch one fish and people will set up right on top of you.

But to each their own, maybe im just a hermit. But i will say as im getting older i have been getting slowly closer to the social side of it.

For the most part as long as people are respectful both ways its normally a friendly encounter.

Good poll, nice to hear everyones opinions.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:45 PM

I alter my casting style as needed to claim some air space
Old 03-11-2018, 03:12 PM

I enjoy fishing alone. I don't mind if someone fishes along side of me but they
will know they are too close if my extended arm and lighter can reach their fishing line.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-11-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
I am friendly but like my space but no way do I expect a few hundred yards. Give me my casting distance and a small buffer, 20 feet or so, and I am fine.

This is me. I don't want to listen to other boat's conversations.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
This is me. I don't want to listen to other boat's conversations.
Don't get too close to sns2, he'll throw his rod at you....

Last edited by sns2; 03-11-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Don't get too close to sns2, he'll throw his rod at you....
LOL. I was gonna say... Don't be like 505 who stays just far enough away that he is of no help when you lose your rod, but still close enough to mock you
Old 03-11-2018, 04:12 PM
Banned

Part of the reason I bought a boat...so I can get away from people.
I hate when I am trying to spend a relaxing day with a friend or two or even on my own and someone sets up beside me or within spitting range.

Keep your children and dogs on leashes as well if you can't control them.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:02 PM

Depends on my mood. Sometimes I like solitude, others times companionship is nice.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:02 PM
Banned

When I’m fly fishing, I’ve got my zone, rarely are there others where I go, and I plan it that way, but occasionally I’ll go on a lake where’s there’s lots of people, but, I keep moving, I will however help struggling newbies, the guys who look like they just stepped out of a fly fusion magazine I will avoid like the plague, don’t wanna hear how great they are.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:29 PM

Brief pleasantries are fine, but I don't recommend staying too long in torpedo range
Old 03-12-2018, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
Fishing is a great way to center yourself and reflect. I like being on my own with just me a line and the fish. But I have no problem saying hello
Exactly!! 100%
Old 03-12-2018, 12:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Agreed, hooting, hollering, yelling drives me nuts, if they are 4 years old then fine ....but adults?? That and having to listen to stereos blaring away.

Being sociable is fine, I don't mind chatting with like minded people when I meet them on the stream. Most experienced fly fishermen are pretty decent that way and will give you some space, the ones that see you catch a fish, come over and start casting into your spot well they are boneheads. In my mind fly fishing is a quiet sport, I like time to reflect on my own thoughts and listen to the stream, the birds and take in nature.
There is nothing more annoying than “The Dimestore Fishermen” types!!