Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-08-2018, 09:43 PM

Are the lingcod spawning yet? Coming with my kid tomorrow, hoping we’ll catch some whites.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2018, 10:25 AM

Spent Friday east of Sandy Point. Cold and quite windy but this week the burbs were much more active. Buddy and I released about 35 between 08:30 and 3:30. Also a couple of pike were after our dead herring baits so much better than a week ago. Burbs still not ready to spawn, it seems and NOT A SINGLE WHITEFISH! Very unusual in our experience for this late in March.

Snow conditions still a concern as the wind and sun have settled the snow so it is harder for a vehicle to push/chew through than a week ago. Unless you have chains and good ground clearance or 4X4 then be cautious and stay on beaten tracks. Ice thickness is 30+ inches so no issues there.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPman View Post
Spent Friday east of Sandy Point. Cold and quite windy but this week the burbs were much more active. Buddy and I released about 35 between 08:30 and 3:30. Also a couple of pike were after our dead herring baits so much better than a week ago. Burbs still not ready to spawn, it seems and NOT A SINGLE WHITEFISH! Very unusual in our experience for this late in March.

Snow conditions still a concern as the wind and sun have settled the snow so it is harder for a vehicle to push/chew through than a week ago. Unless you have chains and good ground clearance or 4X4 then be cautious and stay on beaten tracks. Ice thickness is 30+ inches so no issues there.
Ohh Nice BP, I am hopefully going out next week when im off, hopefully not too slushy.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:35 AM

Default Gull Lake Access

Is anyone with a normal 4x4 truck getting on Gull lake anywhere? I was at Buck yesterday and not a soul on a the lake with a truck, lots of snow in the south end where I was. Thanks for any updates.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker2 View Post
Is anyone with a normal 4x4 truck getting on Gull lake anywhere? I was at Buck yesterday and not a soul on a the lake with a truck, lots of snow in the south end where I was. Thanks for any updates.

Was on south end yesterday, there’s a decent main trail on the lake. Do have to pick your spots a bit as there are areas where guys have gotten hung up. I was able to break some new trails with a 1/2 ton 4x4 and good winter tires,, no chains. I’ve noticed guys with heavier diesels spinning around and struggling a lot more then 1/2 gas trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2018, 07:36 PM

I am driving my Tacoma 4X4 with almost new snow tires but no chains or extra weight in the back beyond my ice gear and have had no trouble with ground clearance or getting bogged down but then again I will follow an exiting trail whenever I can. I have made my own trails too but watch for any signs of a deeper drift that might high center me and avoid them. Fishing out from Sandy Point....
Old 03-12-2018, 09:04 PM

Was out at Brownlows and Sandy Point today, beautiful day, lots of roads to ice shacks and beyond. There was even a small bobcat going around plowing to each shack at Brownlows. Crazy place! Not a single bite, it was dead! Had a couple of breakoffs and misses at Sandy Point and a couple of slew sharks too small to keep.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker2 View Post
Was out at Brownlows and Sandy Point today, beautiful day, lots of roads to ice shacks and beyond. There was even a small bobcat going around plowing to each shack at Brownlows. Crazy place! Not a single bite, it was dead! Had a couple of breakoffs and misses at Sandy Point and a couple of slew sharks too small to keep.
I had same problem as I didn't set up my tent. I was jigging and nothing, then I set up tent as I wanted to see wth. Sure enough right when I looked down I saw several pike and walleye and some perch swimming around my hook. I started to catch as I stopped movement when I saw them come in. Last week I needed a buddy heater and this week I need a/c lol.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skawtty View Post
I had same problem as I didn't set up my tent. I was jigging and nothing, then I set up tent as I wanted to see wth. Sure enough right when I looked down I saw several pike and walleye and some perch swimming around my hook. I started to catch as I stopped movement when I saw them come in. Last week I needed a buddy heater and this week I need a/c lol.
Ahhha! I did notice the last few times I was out ice fishing on different lakes that the tipups were out fishing me! Makes sense now! Yes I was in my little black tent for a while didn't see anything but it was hot as heck! LOL!