Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2019, 09:01 PM

Default Thieves got me

Thieves broke into my garage and cleaned out my tools and ice fishing gear. Beware of an Eskimo Stingray Ice auger head without a leg if you see one. Also if you see any hand tools engraved ECK; they were my great uncles electrician's tools and had some sentimental value apart from being decent hand tools, mostly Klein pliers and such.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:02 PM

bastards
Old 03-24-2019, 08:38 AM

Right in the city or acreage?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-24-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
bastards
This
Old 03-24-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Right in the city or acreage?
In the city. Seems they have programmed my garage somehow. Did it while we were sleeping. Somehow managed to do it without setting off my dogs or waking me. All that second hand stuff must really be worth the risk!
Old 03-24-2019, 12:55 PM

Any Chileans in your neighbourhood lately?
Old 03-24-2019, 01:21 PM

That’s weird, the dogs didn’t bark at all? My dog usually doesn’t bark if he knows the people who are coming in but he goes crazy if he doesn’t recognize the person....
Old 03-24-2019, 02:57 PM

If they got away clean I would not count them out coming back.

Cheapest / best thing I have found for this exactly is a D-link wifi camera.

I have them in the garage, send immediate notification of motion or noise via my phone with video emailed to me. Night vision capable.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...12554350.aspx?

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-24-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
That’s weird, the dogs didn’t bark at all? My dog usually doesn’t bark if he knows the people who are coming in but he goes crazy if he doesn’t recognize the person....
Yeah, found it extremely odd myself. I wouldn't count on one of the dogs, but the other is usually on top of this sort of thing. They even managed to drag out two garbage bags full of drink containers without setting off anyone.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
If they got away clean I would not count them out coming back.

Cheapest / best thing I have found for this exactly is a D-link wifi camera.

I have them in the garage, send immediate notification of motion or noise via my phone with video emailed to me. Night vision capable.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...12554350.aspx?
Perfect, was looking for exactly that sort of thing. You saved me a search.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:56 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Someone on here will chime in about how people can hack your camera, I say who gaff. I just want to know if someone is in my garage. If they want to sit on their computer and stare at my walls, have at it.

I think they are a great thing, I have several.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:45 PM

Scumbag thieves!

Sad when thieves can hack security cam's and scope out all your stuff then use a code grabber and clone your remote, ain't technology great?

Could garage door opener companies not fix the code grabbing issue?
Make a revolving set of codes or one time use codes? Seems like a problem that could of and should of been fixed a long time ago

I put a lock on the overhead door track in the garage so the door won't open with it on and a steel door that deadbolts into a steel frame and light up the night sky with so many lights & I'm still thinking of ways to make it more secure.

Pretty sad when you need to fortify your own house to protect your stuff from opportunistic crackheds & meth heads.

Castle doctrine states are sounding better by the day
Old 03-24-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Someone on here will chime in about how people can hack your camera, I say who gaff. I just want to know if someone is in my garage. If they want to sit on their computer and stare at my walls, have at it.

I think they are a great thing, I have several.
I have 3 of the same ones and they work vey well.500 bucks for your personal safety and not losing your belongings is a cheap price.Gives me a bit of piece of mind when I am not around.Plus when my wife is alone she sleeps better,plus I lock my garage door manually from the inside.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
In the city. Seems they have programmed my garage somehow. Did it while we were sleeping. Somehow managed to do it without setting off my dogs or waking me. All that second hand stuff must really be worth the risk!
I got to the point that I have barred the walk in door from the inside and turned off the power to the garage. The only time the power is on is when I’m in the garage. Had 2 different times where someone tried breaking into the garage and another time where I was working in the garage and all of a sudden the over head door started to go up and a vehicle was driving up the alley at the time. I think I surprised him with me being in the garage at the time. Now they would have to drive a vehicle into the door to get into the garage and I’m pretty sure me or the neighbors would hear that.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:26 PM

They got me too... First my company work truck stolen right out of my driveway. Two days later in broad daylight they broke into my house. Got into my gun safe. Lost my Ruger M77 in with stainless barrel and Laminate stock.
Was mounted with a Canadian Leupold VX II. Was in .300 win mag
Lost my Browning BLR takedown model in .300wsm with a Leupold VX I
Lost a fired 3 times brand new Browning BPS in 12 gauge.
Lost my Remmington 870 in 12 gauge. laminate stock on that one
Lost the youth model 870 in 20 gauge I bought for my son at Christmas. it had synthetic laminate stock
Lost a ruger American in .243. Synthetic stock was filled with rockite cement to toughen the flimsy stock up, it worked well
Lost my remmington model 760 in .270. It had a laminate Boyds stock on it that was checkered.
Lost a Marlin .17 HMR heavey barrel with a Vortex scope.

If any of you guys recognize any of these items in your travel please call the cops
Old 03-24-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Yeah, found it extremely odd myself. I wouldn't count on one of the dogs, but the other is usually on top of this sort of thing. They even managed to drag out two garbage bags full of drink containers without setting off anyone.
Hey, just a thought - maybe it was your wife who decided to de clutter your garage and take out the empties too? That would explain why the dog didn’t alert you...
Old 03-24-2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
My dog goes beserk at every little hump in the night. Usually it’s just the cat jumping down from the kitchen table or counters.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:41 AM

Might be worth checking pawn shops in the area
Old 03-25-2019, 08:52 AM

The 6 Second Garage Door Break-In You Can Prevent - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSO_HTBHLFI
Old 03-25-2019, 09:38 AM

That's a crappy deal for sure. Hope they catch the punks. What part of the city?
Old 03-25-2019, 04:27 PM

I bought a couple driveway alert sensors from CT a few years back. You can set the sensor anywhere and have the reciever in your bedroom while you sleep. If motion is detected, sends a very loud beeping on the reciever....Best thing I ever bought...Even better than expensive cameras.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post

I like this! 2 nylon straps on now!

Good reason to not have glass in the doors

Old 03-26-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:

I dont park in mine as the other stuff is in there so when my door opener quit, a nice tight vice grip sits on the rail now and stops this from happening.

I also drilled a hole in each track and put a lock through. Figure if you get past the entry door, your gonna be there a while trying to open the big door. Easy for me to remove and use the door when needed. Still worried about the wood door but the way my garage is sinking in that corner of the 40 yr old detached garage. I can't even think about replacing with a metal door to keep the punks out.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
I just got 3 more.

Watch the for sale forums, they come up from time to time cheap. We love these cameras. Just make sure you do not buy ones that need 'cloud' and a subscription, they have control of your videos. Bad plan.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:05 AM
Suspended User

One way that garages are easily entered, is that emergency rope that runs to the electric opener. A quick pry on the top of the roll up door, and a long hook through. Takes a couple of moments of fishing but with practice its too easy. I recommend a long shank lock stuck threw the track just above a roller wheel. Solves that easy entry.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
I like this! 2 nylon straps on now!

Good reason to not have glass in the doors
I like the glass in mine. Even added a glass insert to my side door for more light and a view outside. I have a layer of lexan behind the glass to stop anyone thinking of busting the glass to get in.

However I think I’ll put some opaque film on the garage door glass. Maybe the other glass too so people can’t tell if the house is likely empty because there are no vehicles in the garage.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
I like the glass in mine. Even added a glass insert to my side door for more light and a view outside. I have a layer of lexan behind the glass to stop anyone thinking of busting the glass to get in.

However I think I’ll put some opaque film on the garage door glass. Maybe the other glass too so people can’t tell if the house is likely empty because there are no vehicles in the garage.
I have fresnel lenses out of old TVs covering the door and windows in the garage. Let's all the light in but cant see in. I also have a camera mounted on the door with a hole cut through so the first thing someone sees when they see is the camera.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:47 AM

Wyze camera V2 on amazon $39.99 with a big micro sd card will record for 4+ days and sends you notifications on motion and sound. Links right to your phone they work extremely well for the price I have them front and back at my house for under a $100 bucks and no monthly fees check them out.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
X2 sounds fishy.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
One way that garages are easily entered, is that emergency rope that runs to the electric opener. A quick pry on the top of the roll up door, and a long hook through. Takes a couple of moments of fishing but with practice its too easy. I recommend a long shank lock stuck threw the track just above a roller wheel. Solves that easy entry.
I read about this a couple years back and put a zip tie on the pull handle....

There is no way someone can pull strong enough to cut it, but if I am inside and an emergency, I could probably snap it. If not, I could just cut it off...