Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-02-2018, 08:24 PM

Default Learn to fly fish

just wondering who, if anyone, would be interested in paying a bit less than standard guided trip fees for a one-on-one on the water fly fishing lesson?

thinking I'm going to try some trips @ $250 for half a day on a stocked pond or smaller stream, flies and lunch provided

thoughts?

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 03-02-2018, 08:26 PM
Banned

What are your credentials?
Old 03-02-2018, 08:26 PM
Banned

Show me a sammich.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:27 PM
Banned

How well do you row?
Old 03-02-2018, 08:28 PM
Banned

Can you swim?
Old 03-02-2018, 08:29 PM
Banned

How are your CPR skills ?
Old 03-02-2018, 08:29 PM
Banned

Ever taken a water rescue course?
Old 03-02-2018, 08:30 PM
Banned

How much liability insurance do you carry?
Old 03-02-2018, 08:32 PM
Banned

Can you tell me the life cycle of chironomid midge while eating a burrito?
Old 03-02-2018, 08:33 PM
Banned

Can you tie a Carey Special blindfolded after 12 beers?
Old 03-02-2018, 08:35 PM

okay $500 for weedy for half a day.

anyone else?

Old 03-02-2018, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post

anyone else?
I only take cash.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
just wondering who, if anyone, would be interested in paying a bit less than standard guided trip fees for a one-on-one on the water fly fishing lesson?

thinking I'm going to try some trips @ $250 for half a day on a stocked pond or smaller stream, flies and lunch provided

thoughts?
So $250 per half day = $500 per full day. Where's the less than standard guided trip fees here? And the latter includes the price for 2 people.

You need to work on your marketing here!
Old 03-03-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:

anyone else?
Except for the tying after 12 beers, the questions posed were all legitimate and should be able to be answered if you want to build a clientele. Not saying you do not know the answers however!

I also think that $250 on a stocked pond is quite high considering there would be no vehicles to shuttle and no boat involved, comparing to a bow river guide for example, where the prices for two people usually are around $500ish.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief16 View Post
Except for the tying after 12 beers, the questions posed were all legitimate and should be able to be answered if you want to build a clientele. Not saying you do not know the answers however!

I also think that $250 on a stocked pond is quite high considering there would be no vehicles to shuttle and no boat involved, comparing to a bow river guide for example, where the prices for two people usually are around $500ish.
In comparison to a fly fishing school, which is not one on one instruction, 250 for half a day is a competitive price. A full day I would charge 400, which is also competitive for standard guide rates.

insurance is around $900 so it would take several trips to break even on that alone.

I am an experienced fly fisher and have competed at a national level, sold tens of dozens of flies to happy customers, and have taken many beginners out and put them onto fish.

for those interested in entomology, I am an Environmental Science student and I can show you my grades from my entomology class if you like I can answer bug questions.

I do not have first aid, that sounds like a good idea though

Old 03-03-2018, 11:41 AM

Yea.......sure...

You ducked the Sammich question

That’s a nope fer me

I’m out.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 03-03-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
In comparison to a fly fishing school, which is not one on one instruction, 250 for half a day is a competitive price. A full day I would charge 400, which is also competitive for standard guide rates.

insurance is around $900 so it would take several trips to break even on that alone.

I am an experienced fly fisher and have competed at a national level, sold tens of dozens of flies to happy customers, and have taken many beginners out and put them onto fish.

for those interested in entomology, I am an Environmental Science student and I can show you my grades from my entomology class if you like I can answer bug questions.

I do not have first aid, that sounds like a good idea though
Awesome! Showing you know your stuff will do nothing but help you in the future I imagine, good luck with this idea and I hope it works out for you!
Old 03-04-2018, 12:07 PM
Banned

Exclamation

Quote:

thoughts?
Wrong forum, this the general fishing forum, not the fly fishing forum.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Who cares, fishing is fishing!
Old 03-06-2018, 12:52 AM

Quote:

Just my thoughts -- the experienced fly-fisher stuff and competing on a national level sound good, seems like that would encourage someone to pay for guided trips. But then the stuff about being a student and boasting about your grades makes me think, "OMG, a recent high-school graduate, now a college student, wanting to be paid like a professional fishing guide!"

I don't know where things really fit there, but you need to work on the presentation. If you are in fact a recent high-school graduate with fishing skills, then I would suggest lowering your rates to draw in customers and get some positive ratings. Then you can increase your rates over time, in line with your growing guiding experience.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:19 AM

fish tales fly shop school is 125 for a full day.

Bow river trout fitters 159 again for a full day.

So your price is far outside the competition for an introductory course, and lack of credentials. Yea you might be fishing stocked ponds while these are classroom and field, but these courses would teach you to catch real fish.

Good luck.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:33 AM
Banned

To compete at the national level, you basically just have to slap down your $. There is no qualifying or other pre-requisites. Just put your name in. Not really a resume builder.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
fish tales fly shop school is 125 for a full day.

Bow river trout fitters 159 again for a full day.

So your price is far outside the competition for an introductory course, and lack of credentials. Yea you might be fishing stocked ponds while these are classroom and field, but these courses would teach you to catch real fish.

Good luck.
neither of those schools are one on one. Check their rates for a guided day trip.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
Just my thoughts -- the experienced fly-fisher stuff and competing on a national level sound good, seems like that would encourage someone to pay for guided trips. But then the stuff about being a student and boasting about your grades makes me think, "OMG, a recent high-school graduate, now a college student, wanting to be paid like a professional fishing guide!"

I don't know where things really fit there, but you need to work on the presentation. If you are in fact a recent high-school graduate with fishing skills, then I would suggest lowering your rates to draw in customers and get some positive ratings. Then you can increase your rates over time, in line with your growing guiding experience.
I am a 4th year college student, 23 years old, and I can name plenty of guides off the top of my head who are younger and less experienced than me.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post

To compete at the national level, you basically just have to slap down your $. There is no qualifying or other pre-requisites. Just put your name in. Not really a resume builder.
my team took 3rd place

Old 03-08-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
I posted here on purpose, I assumed that most of the people who view the fly fishing forum already know how to fly fish

Old 03-11-2018, 10:13 PM

Do you not have to have a guiding license to guide in Alberta. taking money from people for taking them fishing is guiding ,is it not.????
BJay
Old 03-11-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjay View Post
Do you not have to have a guiding license to guide in Alberta. taking money from people for taking them fishing is guiding ,is it not.????
BJay
In this case i would consider it as teaching...not guiding.