Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2018, 07:44 PM

Default Should Alberta institute a provincial park usage permit?

My question comes out of camping in two different provinces this year on holidays. They both have a provincial park permit system, all park users from campers, hikers, fishermen, picnickers and equestrian users all have to have a permit to use the park. Personally I think it is a great idea, why are only the campers charged for the usage of provincial parks? The approximate fee was $5/day. You could get a daily, 3 or 7 day or a yearly permit. Before anyone says that the camping costs would go up, we were in Manitoba and the camping charge plus provincial permit costs were about 30.25/day. Saskatchewan charged us about 39.40/day. These costs in both provinces included electricity, firewood, showers and the use of the sewage dump. I compared a campground, Beauvais Lake, that we use quite a bit and their cost is about 31.10/ day and does not include firewood, showers and you have to pay to dump sewage. All these costs include a reservation fee.

Personally I think all users should have to pay to use our provincial parks.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:53 PM
Banned

I’m just wondering if there were crowds of people that you seen in these provincial parks? I for one would avoid them just because I’m cheap lol

Not feeling it.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
"WHY" What do you gain by this
Old 08-10-2018, 08:03 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer55 View Post
My question comes out of camping in two different provinces this year on holidays. They both have a provincial park permit system, all park users from campers, hikers, fishermen, picnickers and equestrian users all have to have a permit to use the park. Personally I think it is a great idea, why are only the campers charged for the usage of provincial parks? The approximate fee was $5/day. You could get a daily, 3 or 7 day or a yearly permit. Before anyone says that the camping costs would go up, we were in Manitoba and the camping charge plus provincial permit costs were about 30.25/day. Saskatchewan charged us about 39.40/day. These costs in both provinces included electricity, firewood, showers and the use of the sewage dump. I compared a campground, Beauvais Lake, that we use quite a bit and their cost is about 31.10/ day and does not include firewood, showers and you have to pay to dump sewage. All these costs include a reservation fee.

I can see a nightly fee for trailers that are hooked up to water, sewer and power. Those facilities cost big $ to install. But for day users??...those people are likely taxpayers.. they've paid for the park already.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:20 PM

I have nothing to gain. BUT park users use washrooms, day use areas and garbage disposal, etc. which all that have cost. As a camper I pay for these cost in my fees, why do day users use these for free? Oh I pay taxes too. As for crowds, weekends the parks filled up just like here.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:22 PM

Why would anyone want to give the government more money to waste....good grief.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:

Would you also be for implementing such user fee's for shopping at the Mall?
Off leash dog parks?
Old 08-10-2018, 09:11 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
I have nothing to gain. BUT park users use washrooms, day use areas and garbage disposal, etc. which all that have cost. As a camper I pay for these cost in my fees, why do day users use these for free? Oh I pay taxes too. As for crowds, weekends the parks filled up just like here.
They are already paying basic fees through taxes. Some level of usage should come with that no? I mean if you are camping and using extra services you are paying a bit more for sure, but everyone still pays some.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 08-10-2018, 09:13 PM

Provincial camp grounds are privately operated here, your fees go to a private contractor. Expensive and haven't seen many that would do us proud. Funny, some people are never happy unless they're making others pay for what we are entitled to by Nature. Air tax next ?

Grizz
Old 08-10-2018, 09:14 PM

I use provincial day use areas frequently, probably once a week during the summer. If there was a “day use fee” I would limit my visits or visit other recreation areas. These provincial parks are a great free activity for me and my kids and being able to go to these parks without worrying if I have enough cash. I don’t have a camper but if I did I would gladly pay the fee knowing that I’m paying for a spot in the campground.

If day use users had to pay a fee would I guarantee you campers would not have lower fees. Don’t give anyone new ideas for new fees!!!
Old 08-10-2018, 09:20 PM

Short answer...................... No
Old 08-10-2018, 09:31 PM

I think we pay enough taxes already.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:37 PM

User fee for day use is not an bad idea, if you use the facility’s like washrooms, fire pits, picnic tables and so on is no different then when you get a tent site for 27.00.

After the day use people leave someone has to go and clean up the mess they leave behind. And that includes cleaning up the beach and mowing all the grassy areas.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:44 PM

you rich guys want to keep making us pensioners pay until we go to our graves
Old 08-10-2018, 10:23 PM

Not a fan of it in Saskatchewan, wouldn’t be a fan of it here.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:27 PM

Default Forget it

NO THANKS, we are over taxed now in Alberta. The unserviced camp grounds that were free a few years ago are 25 bucks a night now.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:41 PM

No. No to new fees. No to new taxes. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

What's wrong with people getting something for free (as you say)? It's not free anyway. The people who are day users are mostly local if there is any fishing opportunity, smaller percentage, still local, are hikers or picnickers...…………..leave us alone.

What is the motivation and what net benefit is your proposal going to achieve?
Old 08-10-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
User fee for day use is not an bad idea, if you use the facility’s like washrooms, fire pits, picnic tables and so on is no different then when you get a tent site for 27.00.

After the day use people leave someone has to go and clean up the mess they leave behind. And that includes cleaning up the beach and mowing all the grassy areas.
What was wrong with having the inmates cut wood, and clean up the camp grounds, oh wait!! That inhumane because they have rights. The inmates used to cut wood and clean camp grounds and such. You used to pay $5 a night too, firewood included. The soft generation like to pay for everything now.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:00 PM

NO WAY! Pay enough for everything in this country already: No!
Old 08-11-2018, 03:36 AM

If they charge anyone it should be the random campers all over the FTR. Those guys leave piles of garbage everywhere!
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 08-11-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:

I pay enough tax thank you very much.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-11-2018, 09:02 AM

why are you trying to pull more money out of my pockets to recreate?
Old 08-11-2018, 09:14 AM

I would agree with a modest park user fee if the $$$ would go to developing more camping facilities, trails etc. However it would probably just go into General Revenue and be wasted as usual. We pay a user fee in our national parks so precedent already established.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:31 AM

It sounds like you are interested in the government running another business. They are historically bad at that. Most of the money will you be used up in the paper shuffle. UGG provincial Parks also don’t include all recreational users like us hunters.
If you feel that you are not supporting the government enough you can always add a couple hundred on your tax return.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:34 AM
Banned

Most places around the world charge to park in day use areas to support their upkeep. Most other provinces in Canada charge for use of provincial parks.

Its not just parks - public lands need more resources too. Our public lands are receiving more use and have far few resources.

I don't care whether its by user fees or taxes, i would like to see the budget for public lands increased. Probably don't need more taxes just a reprioritization from health and roads. I'd start by carving off 1% of the infrastructure budget that goes to unecessary repaving of Alberta's road network every few years.

I'd be happy to pay a $100 annual "eastern slopes" fee if they money went to outhouses and enforcement. AOHVA wants fees from registrations, but it needs to be broader than just motorized users. The average rig with $100,000 of investments and toys can afford $100 to maintain the sites they use and Canada's parks pass is a bargain - costs less for a year than a couple of nights at the movies.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:14 AM

Paying to use provincial parks, no what a horrible idea couldn’t imagin how much wasted time and money they would have enforcing something like this in just fish creek.

Last edited by Dubious; 08-11-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:21 PM
Banned

charging people to use the parks on top of what they already pay, is like having to pay for kids to use soccer fields and playgrounds in your neighbourhood.

More fees won't change how the parks are used or abused.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:40 PM
Banned

Why so the NDP can have more money to pizz away on more social programs for the dead beats in this province. You don’t think for one minute that the money would go back into parks do you.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:07 PM

A user fee makes more sense than funding out of the provinces coffers. If I use it I would rather pay than have to pay even if I don't use it, eg. Art exhibits.
The government is too free at spending on things I don't care about and pretty tight on things that do matter to me.
As long as park fees, fishing licenses and hunting licenses fund those activities and don't go general revenue where it funds things I don't agree with I'm glad to pay the fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2018, 02:41 PM

The priorities of all levels of government are flawed. The Feds give 250 million to fund education and business opportunities for women in Africa, Provincial government wastes money on TV ads and mail-outs for the TransMountain Pipeline, and the Edmonton Mayor won't take responsibility for multitudes of municipal cluster.....s under his watch. Why in the h...l would anyone want to give the go ahead to any of these to tax and/or charge us more for things we have paid for in the past. People we have got to hold all levels of governments accountable to us for the things that matter to us in our daily lives and not allow them to spend on anything that does not address the needs of Canadians at home. I am sure that anyone with the wisdom of experience understands this.