Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2019, 01:31 PM

He was a professional driver. He operated his vehicle with undue care and attention. This was supposed to be a professional whom we hold to a higher standard. This was negligence, not a mistake.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:41 PM

8 years, he will get deported back to India to his family who probably used all the money they had to get him here for a better life. He has to live with this for the rest of his life. I think 8 years is more than enough.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:45 PM

This is precedent setting law being put in place. I would imagine truck drivers and would be truck drivers are paying attention. Now that there is closure, all have time to try and heal. My best to all involved.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:02 PM

Well if we are okay with this sentence I think we should be making the minimum sentence for anyone running a red light 8 years in the klink. No questions asked. Considering risk and intention of actions I imagine an unsafe pass at highway speed or speeding should make for about a 20 year conviction. Good stuff LOL
Old 03-22-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
I'm willing to bet anyone that's been driving for +10 years has done something at least as bad (running a stop sign type thing but lucky nobody was coming the other way) because humans are humans and make mistakes. We drive thousands of miles every year. We all have bad days, distractions, unusual circumstances, unusual conditions, unfamiliar driving routes. I fail to see how a thousand harsh jail sentences for such mistakes is going to change that. If we accept harsh punishments for honest mistakes then hold onto your hats cause everyone is going to be in the slammer soon enough.
Well first off all, the outcomes are not all the same. Different outcome means different punishment. This is not a foreign concept in law enforcement.
Secondly, you assume that he simply made a mistake. You have no idea what his driving habits were. Perhaps he regularly drove through stop signs? Also if he made a conscious decision to drive through the stop sign, he knowingly broke the law. Sorry but that is exactly why we punish those that violate laws.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Well if we are okay with this sentence I think we should be making the minimum sentence for anyone running a red light 8 years in the klink. No questions asked. Considering risk and intention of actions I imagine an unsafe pass at highway speed or speeding should make for about a 20 year conviction. Good stuff LOL
Anyone that forges a logbook and isn't eligible to drive because they had already exceeded their allowable hours, absolutely. This wasn't just a case of running a stop sign, there were other infractions that were quite likely a factor in the accident. The trucking company still faces charges over the logbooks.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:47 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
8 years, he will get deported back to India to his family who probably used all the money they had to get him here for a better life. He has to live with this for the rest of his life. I think 8 years is more than enough.
agree....he will have a life sentence in his head...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-22-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Seems slightly sensational, but I like your style
Old 03-22-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittman View Post
It still seems unjust to me to sentence one person to 8 years in jail because he got unlucky, while others who run stop signs and get caught simply get a ticket. Their intentions were the same so why would the punishment be different?

The reality is that people aren't perfect. They make mistakes all the time. Jail can give someone time to develop remorse or change a persons behaviour if they've shown to be repeatedly disobedient of the law, but it won't make anyone make fewer unintentional mistakes.

To make the roads safer (which is the ultimate goal here) you need to build in redundancy and safety into the system. This is exactly why we have speed limits, and pay people to enforce them. Improving the training and licensing for professional driver's will likely have an impact as well. Other interventions could include more visibly apparent stop signs and/or rumble strips leading up to critical intersections. All of these safety factors help minimize the inevitable mistakes that make us human.
Sorry but the guy was responsible for killing many people and injuring many more, both physically and mentally. Can not compare that to someone who just rolls through a stop sign and got a ticket. He irresponsibly drove a loaded semi weighing tones without even slowing down. He needs to be punished, unlucky or not if he was driving properly this most likely would not have happened.
Awesome he took responsibility, but a president needs to be set to denture others and if you ask me he got off light.
Only plus that can come out of this is better training, and awareness that these big trucks need to slow down.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:17 PM

8 years or 800 years, nothing will bring back those boys and keeping him in jail won’t do one damned bit of good.

The perrson (S) that should be charged the most are the ones who hired him and allowed him to drive that big rig without proper training and experience.

They started a new company and can do it all over again. You can be sure the driver won’t do it again.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:23 PM

Actually according too CBC radio he failed to heed 5 signs to stop before he hit the bus not just 1 stop sign.

But what do you expect from a society that punishes you more harshly for hurting an animal they they do for killing humans ? Life is cheap in the new sunny ways world.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
8 years or 800 years, nothing will bring back those boys and keeping him in jail won’t do one damned bit of good.

The perrson (S) that should be charged the most are the ones who hired him and allowed him to drive that big rig without proper training and experience.

They started a new company and can do it all over again. You can be sure the driver won’t do it again.
Yes this will most likely be the case...your last line I'm referring to, it just does not seem right that the owner can just close shop and start right back where he left off...if that's the case, I'm afraid for those of us on any road that his trucks are on...stay home everyone on those days.
Sadly
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 03-22-2019, 05:27 PM
Banned

Judge Inez Cardinal decision.

Below is the transcript of her analysis and conclusion:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...rash-1.5068065
Old 03-22-2019, 05:36 PM

Everyone who blows a stop sign should now receive 8 yrs in jail, whether there was an accident or not.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
Everyone who blows a stop sign should now receive 8 yrs in jail, whether there was an accident or not.
He didn't just bow a stop sign, he falsified his log books,drove more hours than he was allowed to, and because of that, should not have been behind the wheel. Blowing the stop sign may have been accidental, but the violations leading up to him doing so, were not.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
He didn't just bow a stop sign, he falsified his log books,drove more hours than he was allowed to, and because of that, should not have been behind the wheel. Blowing the stop sign may have been accidental, but the violations leading up to him doing so, were not.
Sorry, I cant find mention of the log books or him driving more hours than he should of. In fact I read the judge saying he was well rested.

I might have missed it. Have a link or something?
Old 03-22-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Sorry, I cant find mention of the log books or him driving more hours than he should of. In fact I read the judge saying he was well rested.

I might have missed it. Have a link or something?
https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...jaskirat-sidhu

Quote:
— In the 12 days leading up to April 6, 2018, Alberta semi driver Jaskirat Singh Sidhu committed 70 federal and provincial log book violations for which he was never penalized.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:12 PM

this is a tragedy all around and is impossible to repair because there is no right answer.
a couple months ago a local kid , 16 or 17 , blew a stop sign . broadsided an older lady who passed away . it will be interesting how the courts rule on it . send another young man to prison for 8 years ? hes not a professional driver , he didnt have to keep a log book so is he less guilty ? the driver of the car he hit is just as dead as the hockey players . she also had friends and family who are all affected .

it sucks for everyone involved .
Old 03-22-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Sidhu had 51 “hours of service violations” under the Federal Commercial Vehicle Driver’s Hours of Service Regulation and 19 “trip inspection violations” under the Saskatchewan Trip Inspection Regulations between March 26 and April 6, 2018, court heard.

The infractions include missing daily logs for both March 30 and 31, falsifying his daily log at least three times and failing to indicate his location in the log numerous times.

On April 6, 2018, the inspection shows Sidhu did not indicate when he began to drive from Premier, Sask. to Carrot River, Sask. and did not sign his daily log before the day was over.

The report writer was specifically concerned with Sidhu’s time frames — he didn’t identify where he was that day — as well as missing mileage and five hours of unexplained “off-duty time.”
This was not simply a law abiding driver that missed a stop sign.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Interesting. Thank you.

I wonder why the Judge didn't bring that up? (At least not with what I can find.) Why would she say he was well rested after this?
Old 03-22-2019, 06:18 PM

duplicate
Old 03-22-2019, 06:21 PM
Banned

If I was one of the fathers of the people that died in this tragidity this crap wouldn’t have went so smoothly. He wouldn’t have made it out of the hospital.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
IMO, prison serves two purposes.
1 To protect society from dangerous criminals
2 To punish people convicted of crimes.

I don't believe that society needs protection from this truck driver, other than what a driving ban would provide.

I was actually hoping that this case would result in some creative sentencing that would punish the driver appropriately, while not costing taxpayers $75k per year to house the guy.
Agree 💯%.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:51 PM
Banned

I've always struggled with the term "accident" with respect to vehicular incidents, that would call them "collisions". Whenever I hear there was an "accident", it usually is a "collision" caused by a dum-*****. Not very many accidents these days, more collisions caused by dum-*****'s NO ??
Old 03-22-2019, 08:29 PM

Were’s The employer who knowingly put an inexperienced driver on the road? Thinking he should maybe make a time contribution.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
Were’s The employer who knowingly put an inexperienced driver on the road? Thinking he should maybe make a time contribution.
The trucking company faces charges as well.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4534370/o...ldt-bus-crash/
Old 03-22-2019, 08:50 PM

I agree the company bears some responsibility.
However so does a grown adult 'licenced' to operate truck.
If you do not have enough sensibility to evaluate your capabilities to function and operate the machinery you're licenced to do so than perhaps you shouldn't be.

Everyone trying to relate his circumstances and sentence to a class 5 driver negligently running a stop sign I feel is comparing apples to oranges.
Regardless, the outcome is what it is and perhaps those operating fraudulently within the industry will bear applicable heed.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknorthernjk View Post
I agree the company bears some responsibility.
However so does a grown adult 'licenced' to operate truck.
If you do not have enough sensibility to evaluate your capabilities to function and operate the machinery you're licenced to do so than perhaps you shouldn't be.

Everyone trying to relate his circumstances and sentence to a class 5 driver negligently running a stop sign I feel is comparing apples to oranges.
Regardless, the outcome is what it is and perhaps those operating fraudulently within the industry will bear applicable heed.
When a person is new they dont understand the gravity their actions can have. It's a fresh ignorance that can be eliminated with training and education. The people that trained this man and witnessed his road test should be held accountable as well. The whole race to be the cheapest will result in more tragedies of this magnitude no doubt.

Damn things sad as all hell.

Last edited by ESOXangler; 03-22-2019 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
When a person is new they dont understand the gravity their actions can have. It's a fresh ignorance that can be eliminated with training and education. The people that trained this man and witnessed his road test should be held accountable as well. The whole race to be the cheapest will result in more tragedies of this magnitude no doubt.

Damn things sad as all help.
Certainly. I can agree with a lot of that
Old 03-22-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
This post right here says all that says all that needs to be said.