Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2019, 05:02 PM

Thumbs down Bradley Smokers- love or hate them? Their Customer service is 2nd to none!

My 4 rack digital just died.

I took out 3 B E A utiful prime rib roasts cut like giant steaks, thought 'what a perfect day to smoke some meat'!

Did the warmup, ran a couple pucks, went into the house to get them, came back to black screen of death. Popped fuse. Changed the fuse, popped immediately. I ripped it apart after talking to Dr Google, looking for burnt/worn/burnt wires and found none.

Checked everything I could, put everything back together and now I ger an error, think the smoker element chit itself.

Of course it has been over a year since I bought it, and I did not find the receipt. The manager I bought it from was not in today. Cambodian Tire will sell me another one but get stuffed on warranty. Had I paid with their 'triangle' mastercard they could have looked it up.

I am torn whether I should spend another $500 or not, how long are they lasting for you guys?

Maybe it is time for a Traeger.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-23-2019, 05:10 PM

Default Bought 6 rack stainless when I was working at WSS

and you know that was more than a couple years ago.

had a couple error codes over the years. took it apart cleaned whatever I was supposed to and put back together. havent used it yet this year but last October it was running fine for a 9 year old unit.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:15 PM

I got 10 years out of a cheap digital smoker from Canadian tire.

It still makes heat but the digital display stopped working.
I just replaced it with another similar Master Chef.

One of my friends has had 3 Bradleys in that time and issues with all of them. Elements,feeding ect.

I like the Bradley but was turned off of it because of the pucks. I like to experiment with different types of wood that I cut. Willow,Crab apple, choke cherry ect.

I think its almost luck of the draw though. I know people who have had a bradley smoker for years with no complaints.

One of these years I'll get to work and build a nice offset smoker but until then I'm going to use this master chef.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:20 PM

In the back by the temperature sensor there is a fusible link hidden under the back cover mine went last summer had me stumped could be something to check out.

Would I buy another .......heck no! I would go with a pit boss more heat and no pucks
Old 03-23-2019, 05:26 PM

i had a bradley it made good food but the temp swings where terrible and the puck feeder had issues once and a while so you always had to watch it. Sold it and went to a louisiana grill and its great way more room, hold temp to the degree. It gets hot enough to do pizza and bake bread. You can also sear steak and such. Traeger are over priced and dont do every thing a lg can do.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:27 PM

If you're looking at pellet grills, have a look at the Green Mountain Grills. I had a Daniel Boone wifi for a couple years now. Love it. Picking up my new Prime Jim Bowie wifi tomorrow.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:35 PM

I burned the fusible link in my 4 rack digital a few years back, but I don't recall getting an error code, just wouldn't heat.

I think I bought it in 2010 or so, still going strong. But if it dies at some point, I'm definitely going to something different to get away from the pucks.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:37 PM

Default Heat flow

The only thing I dont like bout the Bradley is the lack of heat flow. You constantly have to rotate top to bottom and front to back. I would like to get something which has a fan. BEL
Old 03-23-2019, 06:11 PM

Pellet grills/smokers and bradleys are two different tools IMO. I love my Bradley for pure smoking and for stuff like peperoni, cheese, etc, especially for stuff that needs to be hung while smoking. I also love my pellet bbq/smoker for things like roasts, steaks, brisket, etc.

I have a 4 rack digital Bradley for a long time now and have 0 troubles with it. When it dies, I will buy another one. I know people say the pucks are expensive, etc but for what I do, its not that bad. Like I said, I think both have a place and I know I will always have both. To me its like having a chainsaw and a skill saw, both cut wood, but both are different tools for the same outcome....cut wood.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:25 PM

Default Bradley’s got a great warranty

Get hold of Bradley themselves, all they ask for is the serial number, and voila brand new parts shipped. (Of course that may be only as it was a year or two old)
Old 03-23-2019, 06:47 PM

Just smoked 4 racks of rainbow yesterday. I have had mine for 5 years and yesterday the puck feeder was not working unless I coaxed it with a knife. Today I did a thorough cleaning, it's stainless again lol. Used non toxic oven cleaner and a lot of elbow grease followed up with a rinse from the garden hose.

Leaving the door open a couple days to let it thoroughly dry out. I'll do a test on the unit to see if all is functional before I brine anything else.

For smoked fish a Bradley works great. That's all I've ever smoked in mine.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:49 PM

The very first time I used my Bradley, a fuse blew. The next time, the element crapped the bed. I called Bradley and they shipped me a new element right away, no charge, no questions asked. I suspect that it wasn't unusual to burn out an element. I've been using that smoker for years since then, and haven't had any other problems.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:51 PM

... and what happened to those monster rib eyes?
Old 03-23-2019, 08:19 PM

Got a masterbuilt smoker and have no complaints other than it is a bit bigger than I need. I find I have Way more cleaning for the one or two racks I use per smoke.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:26 PM

Default Smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
My 4 rack digital just died.

I took out 3 B E A utiful prime rib roasts cut like giant steaks, thought 'what a perfect day to smoke some meat'!

Did the warmup, ran a couple pucks, went into the house to get them, came back to black screen of death. Popped fuse. Changed the fuse, popped immediately. I ripped it apart after talking to Dr Google, looking for burnt/worn/burnt wires and found none.

Checked everything I could, put everything back together and now I ger an error, think the smoker element chit itself.

Of course it has been over a year since I bought it, and I did not find the receipt. The manager I bought it from was not in today. Cambodian Tire will sell me another one but get stuffed on warranty. Had I paid with their 'triangle' mastercard they could have looked it up.

I am torn whether I should spend another $500 or not, how long are they lasting for you guys?

Ken, do yourself a favour and go buy a Big Green Egg. Hands down the best way to smoke meat and also an incredible BBQ/ convection oven. You won’t be disappointed! I have a Traeger and an egg, the Traeger just takes up space on the deck.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
Old 03-24-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seige View Post
Get hold of Bradley themselves, all they ask for is the serial number, and voila brand new parts shipped. (Of course that may be only as it was a year or two old)
My 6 Rack Digital controller went,, called Bradley in BC,,, had a new one in 5 days for $125 including shipping,, but as another member said, moving the racks during smoking is a great way to lose heat

Lock your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car.
After one hour, open the trunk and see who is happiest to see you!!!

If you won't stand behind our Troops,
Feel free to stand in front of them!!!!!
Old 03-24-2019, 07:03 AM

My bradley sits under the deck ..the pucks wont feed regular only when it feels like it bought a LG with a add on smoker box last year ..cant believe i wasted the money on the stinkin bradley
Old 03-24-2019, 07:36 AM

Have had my 6 rack for 7 years or better with a couple of minor issues. I understand some of those others might work better for some things but you can't hang sausage in them. If/when mine dies I think I will build one out of an old freezer - the only complaint I have about the Bradley is that you can't hang very much sausage in it.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:01 AM

Default Bradley

Have had mine for 15 yrs. with no problems. It’s the only one I ever had so cannot compare it to another. It’s done everything I asked it to do.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:22 AM

I have the 4 rack bradly,no problems so far.Had it for about 7 years.I use it mostly for fish.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEL View Post
The only thing I dont like bout the Bradley is the lack of heat flow. You constantly have to rotate top to bottom and front to back. I would like to get something which has a fan. BEL
I use a small computer fan. Just stick it inside the door to move air around. It is 12 volt so just hook it to a battery. Should permanently mount one inside, just haven't got around to it yet
Old 03-24-2019, 08:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Pellet grills/smokers and bradleys are two different tools IMO. I love my Bradley for pure smoking and for stuff like peperoni, cheese, etc, especially for stuff that needs to be hung while smoking. I also love my pellet bbq/smoker for things like roasts, steaks, brisket, etc.

I have a 4 rack digital Bradley for a long time now and have 0 troubles with it. When it dies, I will buy another one. I know people say the pucks are expensive, etc but for what I do, its not that bad. Like I said, I think both have a place and I know I will always have both. To me its like having a chainsaw and a skill saw, both cut wood, but both are different tools for the same outcome....cut wood.
That is the truth!
Old 03-24-2019, 08:50 AM
Banned

Quote:

Yes, buy one of these and let us know how it performs. They have one at Home Hardware Sherwood Park waiting for you.

https://www.traegergrills.ca/shop/gr...TFB01WLEC.html

Old 03-24-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
Yes, buy one of these and let us know how it performs. They have one at Home Hardware Sherwood Park waiting for you.

https://www.traegergrills.ca/shop/gr...TFB01WLEC.html

Haha $3000?

If only I had your money Weedy

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-24-2019, 09:07 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Had mine for ten years....had a heck of a fire inside...kinda melted things but it still works....chicken going in this morning

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-24-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
Viking funeral.

Wife put a couple smoke pucks in the bbq to cold smoke them, and that was ok but she didnt trim off enough fat and bbqd them.
They were sort of edible. Very tough.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Haha $3000?

If only I had your money Weedy
There's always the smaller version:

Old 03-24-2019, 09:21 AM

I no longer buy pucks. I do energize the puck burner just for airflow. I use a Pro-Q to generate smoke for about 20 cents an hour. I do not use a tealight for ignition because it gets too hot and splashes wax giving bad flavours-So I pop the candle out of the foil and squirt a small bit of fondue fuel in the foil cup-It self extinguishes when it burns off

https://dnrsausagesupplies.ca/produc...king-etc-p-592

Have had many disappointing starts with cooks in the Bradley, but mainly micro switch issues with the puck feeder emptying all my pucks into the bowl on start-up. Learned to only put water in the bowl after I am sure it is working.

My pellet grill does not excel at low temp smoking-above 250F it is fine but very uneven left to right as the fire pot takes up the left side

not sure best answer for the Op

Last edited by omega50; 03-24-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:34 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seige View Post
I am going to try that tomorrow, thank you.

If I have to pay for parts, still better than buying another new one and throwing this one away. I hate that.