Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-13-2015, 04:21 PM

Default pine coolie res.

So I saw some pictures of PCR with zero ice on it. Was wondering if it is any good for fishing. I have never tried open water on a lake. Was thinking of trying clear lake as its in the same area. Pike this early would be a great change.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycoma View Post
So I saw some pictures of PCR with zero ice on it. Was wondering if it is any good for fishing. I have never tried open water on a lake. Was thinking of trying clear lake as its in the same area. Pike this early would be a great change.
PCR pictures you saw were likely around the bridge, I don't know if it ever fully freezes up in that area, there is probably a lot of open water there with the weather we have had. The rest of the lake will be frozen, as well as Clear lake. I very sure you would not find any open water on Clear. PCR may be worth a try on the open stuff, I find it is terrible for ice fishing. In the summer you cant keep the fish off, I have caught walleye there on top water baits. Good Luck!
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 02-15-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer99 View Post
PCR pictures you saw were likely around the bridge, I don't know if it ever fully freezes up in that area, there is probably a lot of open water there with the weather we have had. The rest of the lake will be frozen, as well as Clear lake. I very sure you would not find any open water on Clear. PCR may be worth a try on the open stuff, I find it is terrible for ice fishing. In the summer you cant keep the fish off, I have caught walleye there on top water baits. Good Luck!
Topwater baits= popper flies
The concrete heats and melts a handful of ice
Good luck
Old 02-18-2015, 02:36 AM

Was just there. A lot of open water on both sides of bridge, but at the campground there was about 16 inches of ice. Did not catch anything in 3 hours while we were there.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow flyman View Post
Was just there. A lot of open water on both sides of bridge, but at the campground there was about 16 inches of ice. Did not catch anything in 3 hours while we were there.
PCR has been tough this year...First it was the large Ice heave along the boat launch..which I decided to head to Clear...Second time out, heave gone and dropped the camera on the south side and not a single fish on the camera....Going to try again soon